Sign in to follow this  
phill pohl

[EXPLETIVE DELETED] holding cameras up

2 hours ago, mich40 said:

I provide links that I find via Twitter in the live threads for people who wish to watch them. However, I don't ask people to do them, nor do I personally understand why someone would want to hold up their phone during the whole show; but that's  their prerogative and the age we live in. When I thank them, it is on behalf of the people who have watched them and enjoyed them. 

We will have to agree to disagree.  To me, you're enabling a practice that the band hates and robs live shows of their energy.

what mich said. Understand not everyone wants to tune in and follow along with everything song by song, but we try to cater also for those that do.. 

Personally, I like to listen to the mixlr audio and look out for good photos, comments as its happening... feel part on the event, might sound silly to some... helps me feel connected..

I get it too that some get annoyed at the whole social media thing.. there is a happy medium somewhere.. maybe.

2 hours ago, bigwave said:

what mich said. Understand not everyone wants to tune in and follow along with everything song by song, but we try to cater also for those that do.. 

Personally, I like to listen to the mixlr audio and look out for good photos, comments as its happening... feel part on the event, might sound silly to some... helps me feel connected..

I get it too that some get annoyed at the whole social media thing.. there is a happy medium somewhere.. maybe.

If there is, I have no idea where that would be. But I agree that this whole social media thing is not going anywhere. The best thing to do is try and figure out how to mke peace with it. I'm not a Luddite, but a part of me does long for the days before smartphones and social...but only during U2 shows.  

Maybe the only chance of a happy medium would be if U2 streamed their concerts on u2.com. They had the Meerkat song last tour, why not more? Who would watch overexposed shaky cam periscope feeds, often miles away with hands & heads in the way, if they could watch pro shot footage, with multiple angles, near & far from the band? If the band streamed the shows, nobody would watch the periscopes feeds. If nobody's watching these feeds, people will stop periscoping. Do this, & try to get security to enforce no videoing near the rails (a little bit impossible), then there wouldn't be much decent footage anyway.

Talking about decent footage, I'm guilty of watching periscope, & even videoing for YouTube. I was watching periscope of the Santa Clara show, from some woman right on the front rail, right near Edge. If you are going to film, at least learn a bit about how cameras work. Pretty much everyone overexposes the shot horribly, so the band members are totally blown out & look like ghosts. Looks horrible! Romi is the worst of them. He films at a lot of shows. Not full shows, but many songs. Not just U2 shows, many other concerts too. Has lots of followers. But just about all the footage is overexposed, except when he zooms in, as the aperture of the lens closes automatically. If someone is going to film so much, at least learn about exposure levels, so the footage isn't so crappy. Shoot manual, & if you're not up to that, at least dial the exposure compensation down.

Plus, I'd never hold my camera above my head to film. So inconsiderate! I wouldn't even hold it at eye level to film, as even that can interfere with people's views (& my own experience). I filmed one i+e show, in it's entirety. But I attached the camera to the rail, below chest height, set it & forgot it. Didn't interfere with anyone's experience of the show, or mine much.

Edited by ddarroch

As a millenial, I feel this is an affliction that curses us all. It's not just gigs. How can you be moved by something if you're constantly trying to record it? 

It gets ridiculous, especially with engagements and things that are supposed to be sacred live events. If my girlfriend proposed to me and brought a film crew, not only would I say no, but some expensive equipment would get damaged. 

Few things on this earth beat being in the moment when 'streets' opens. Why you'd want to experience that behind a screen is beyond me. 

I recently went to two different comedy shows.  One by Dave Chappelle, and another by Chris Rock.   They both impose a very strict No-Cell-Phone rule.  Everybody is told to leave their phones at home, or in their car.   But for people who simply must have their phones on them, they are required to check their phone in a locked "Yondr" pouch.   You get to keep the phone with you, in the locked pouch, but the only way to take the phone out is to go to the lobby to unlock it.  

(If anyone is caught with an unlocked phone inside the seating area, they are ejected from the show, no refund.)

It was sooooooo refreshing to be at a show with zero phones lit up and people were actually PAYING ATTENTION, and WATCHING THE SHOW!!!

It makes more sense to use this policy for comedians as their sets are ruined if their material gets out and spoiled on YouTube.   But still, I'd love to see this start happening at concerts too.   I realize it's logistically unfeasible to do this at a stadium, but I hope this trend spreads.

Edited by rlj1010

Just because social media isn't going anywhere doesn't mean the practice needs to be tolerated or enabled.

Ignoring for a second that the practice is flat out piracy and wholly illegal in the US, it's still very distracting to both the fans and the band.  Just because there's a selfish few who wish to engage in this practice doesn't mean they need to given the means to do it.

I agree with rlj1010.  Ban it all.  Provide a means to lock up your phone at the venue and if you're in the GA or RZ, no cell phones.  

Just watch a streets video its gone  from watching a crowd go berserk  bouncing all over the place to a mass of statues  holding their phones up..May as well just watch videos why bother going. 

In defence of those who use cameras, phones, sometimes I have been at a show and really wanted others to know what I was experiencing, right there right then. I am conscious of others around me and try to be discrete, never in others faces, there ought to be some kind of protocol for your fellow concert go-ers, but who is going to enforce that? 

People get exited, and yes sometimes selfish, its your moment after all.. but that does cut both ways, for the ones not wanting to capture the moment with technology, other than that which we carry in our memory bank.

At the very least, if you simply must use it at the show, turn down the screen brightness as much as you can, but still be able to see.    It's less distracting.