[EXPLETIVE DELETED] holding cameras up

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

OK. I've been going to shows since the 70's. I was a deadhead for all the years they were playing and I love to dance. I have spent many years dancing at concerts and have really tried to be careful and stay within my space as best I can. I'm aware that sometimes I have bumped in to someone. I don't intend to do that and always then adjust in order to not do it again. In LA in front at main stage the man behind me was shooting photos on his iphone. He was reaching around and over me and I bumped in to him several times. This guy was in my space. I could not adjust to not bump him. He told me I had plenty of room. We spent many hours in lines, in hot sun, enjoying the wait making new friends and visiting with old ones. The security guards were so cooperative outside, they really cared about us getting in ok, and we did. Once inside though when people started cutting in front of us (we were one back from rail and did not want to stand on the black flooring at rail) security would not remove people for cutting. How much space is one entitiled to on a GA floor? And if there is a square on the ground showing that amount of space, the square must go all the way up and around me. These people reaching around us to take photos is so very distracting to me. I spend the time to get to where I want to be in the show to enjoy every second of U2's music. The venue is my church and the music , the hymns. It means so much to me. When someone's rudeness awakens this Irish girl's temper I get mad and it wrecks my show.

I have a lot more to say and have been trying to put it to words, I'll start with this. Thanks

• Subscriber
On 5/23/2017 at 6:49 PM, bigwave said:

Try to steal it from me.

Bigwave, I honestly don't get it.  Yeah, OK, you and others may sometimes want to film the band, but how can you justify blocking others' view?  To do so is no small thing--it really affects the experience of the "view-blocked" party.  And just to be super-clear, I'm not talking about a brief pic here and there--I'm talking about when people do this for significantly longer.

Edited by mike7man
  • Community Manager
59 minutes ago, mike7man said:

Bigwave, I honestly don't get it.  Yeah, OK, you and others may sometimes want to film the band, but how can you justify blocking others' view?  To do so is no small thing--it really affects the experience of the "view-blocked" party.  And just to be super-clear, I'm not talking about a brief pic here and there--I'm talking about when people do this for significantly longer.

If you read back I never say anything about blocking anyone else view.. or condoning it. I always try to be aware of others around me, even if they may be too into the swing of things to notice anyone else around them... I even been known to mosh.. quite recently in fact at The Alarm. My back didn't like it next morning, but it was mint.

What I was trying to get across is that I, and others sometimes want to share the moment with others, scoping, photo whatever. It don't always work out, but the desire is from a good place, not with the intention of ruining it for anyone else. The opposite.

• Subscriber

I took a small stand at tonight's show and pushed down as many phones as I could reach in front of my view. I paid good cash to attend this show and waited 30 years to get there - I wasn't going to have it ruined by watching someone else's bright screen recording crappy video in front of me. I asked the people to just watch the show. I got a lot of indignant looks and such, but the people around me started to drop the phones and get into the show. Stop tolerating it, say something and also DO SOMETHING! Don't be violent, just show them that it's something you won't stand for. During the encore, some guy shoved his way up and tried filming over my shoulder and had his flash on for video. I raised my drink cup up in front of his lens to block it. He flipped a biscuit. His flash light was directly in my eye as I was turned around to watch the large screen. Shining a flashlight into someone's eyes is not acceptable in any venue except a traffic stop. Stop tolerating the B.S. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how many around you feel the same way!

• Subscriber

I was right next to Sean (nice meeting you guys btw!) and although there were a few times the cell screens came up, all and all, I have to say it didn't appear as bad as some of the other shows.  It's still a problem though and it's only going to get worse.

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, bigwave said:

If you read back I never say anything about blocking anyone else view.. or condoning it. I always try to be aware of others around me, even if they may be too into the swing of things to notice anyone else around them... I even been known to mosh.. quite recently in fact at The Alarm. My back didn't like it next morning, but it was mint.

What I was trying to get across is that I, and others sometimes want to share the moment with others, scoping, photo whatever. It don't always work out, but the desire is from a good place, not with the intention of ruining it for anyone else. The opposite.

Ah, thanks for clarifying!  Sorry I apparently misread you.