Jump to content

Advice on best place to stand in the Red Zone


eveconversa
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Subscriber
7 hours ago, vertigojds said:

Passing the time wasn't too bad, actually.  I got lucky.  My stepsister happened to be going to Philly, so I caught a ride with her and got to catch up.  When I got to Lincoln Financial Field, I ended up meeting up with my old college roommate who had settled in town.  He was free in the afternoon and just hung out in line with me until they started having people go inside, so other than the heat, it was a fun afternoon.  Maybe ended up waiting in the corridors of the stadium for about an hour, but I could hear U2 soundchecking Mysterious Ways five times (maybe a couple more than I needed, but cool to hear the process) and a couple others.  So it was actually a fun afternoon.  I think the hardest part was the waiting once we were on the field until the band came out.  That was the real hunker down time.  People were pretty cool about letting people get up to grab food and drinks and come back, but I was there on my own so I didn't want to chance not having someone to come back to.  Once The Lumineers came out time started to fly.  Even the hour plus wait for U2 wasn't bad because I always think its cool to see their road crew setting up the gear.  It's one of those things where you tell your friends "I just waited eight hours for a U2 concert" and it sounds insane, but you break the day down and it ends up being more interesting than it sounds.

Which show are you RZ for?  I'm in there for the second New Jersey show, happy to report back on that specific experience.

The RZ line was adjacent to the GA line for most of the afternoon.  At most, there were forty people there by four when they started letting us in, but it could have been closer to two dozen.  I think if you show up sometime between whatever check-in time they email you and the time they say the doors open, you'll end up one or two people at most at the rail most directly adjacent to the b-stage, and probably have your pick of the rail anywhere else.  That's the view I was getting as regular GA #666 walking to my spot by the main stage - once I was there, the ramp blocked my view and I couldn't see how fast or slow it was filling up (which I was kinda hoping to see to get a better idea).  I have GA again for Gillette but going with some friends, so waiting in line isn't a priority.  Based on this, we'll probably walk in closer to the doors opening rather than waiting all day.  For the first New Jersey show, I have seats so I'm gonna try to be getting the birds-eye view of the area.  It's fun to get into tour mode and just start pregaming this stuff.  It's a little bit easy, at least for me, to fall into the pattern of complaining about what songs aren't being played or how annoying the ticketing process can be or what a pain some of the other stuff can feel like in moments of frustration, but it's kinda awesome how all of that starts to melt away when you're there.  Real eye opener for me this time around, to be so close and to get a sense of how much time waiting translates into distance on the floor.  Supposedly the floors at these stadium shows are holding 8000-10000 people a night.  There's enough rail to fit hundreds.  If you get there before the doors open, and there in the first 1000 or even 2000, to be closer than 80 or 90% of the people there, at worst, seems pretty cool to me.  The screen was so amazing large that being a few feet back wouldn't hurt at all.  My gut instinct is always to get there early, but there's the logical little voice in my head saying, you paid for the Red Zone ticket for the privilege of showing up whenever and being closer than 90% of the crowd for no effort put in, don't waste it.  And then the other little voice says, yeah, but for a minimal amount of effort, you could be closer than 96% of the people.  In other words, it's a fun kind of crazy that I don't think I'm alone in.

The stadium is such a different beast than the arena.  At the arena shows, the stage is much lower, and there's less of it (except for I&E) and being closer to it can really pay off.  At the stadium, it's so high off the ground and so segregated by barricades, and the place is so huge, that you're never right on top of them and they're playing as much to the enormity of the place as they are the people in front of them - in no way complaints, just observations.  Close is still good, but every little inch didn't seem to matter as much at the stadium.

Lol if we were anywhere close to the same coast I think we'd be pretty good friends.

Anyway, my RZ is San Diego, good for me as I can soak up everyone else's experience but I won't be able to provide feedback until the end of the US leg, which won't matter much unless you're planning on going to SA.

I'm going to try and get some tickets today/tomorrow for the Phoenix show, but same thing, second to last show of the US leg, so not much help. Still agonizing whether I should pop for RZ tickets again (if I even have the option) or just get some GAs and enjoy a different experience. I already did the seated experience at the RB. The seats were so amazing, I think I'm spoiled now and anything that's not stellar would be a let down. I know that sounds pretentious but I don't mean it that way.

I'm planning on going with my sister-in-law who is my 80s music partner-in-crime but I'm 100% she is way beyond queuing for the GA. I on the other hand would be more than happy to go stand around all day as Phoenix is my local show. Which leads me back to RZ.

This sickness of ours. That should be a song title.

Thanks for all the info. I'm addicted to the pregame! LOL!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, JCF said:

Has anybody here gone into the GA area as soon as you got onto the RZ floor? 

Please don't misread my tone, I mean this as a genuine question and not a snide comment. But why would anyone do that?

I've heard of people talking about going from RZ to GA? What's the point of that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
13 hours ago, vertigojds said:

I just had regular GA and not Red Zone for Philly, but security was telling everyone not to run. If you tried to run, they said, you would be asked to leave the field and made to wait to enter until everyone else had gotten on - an automatic trip to the back of the line if you tried. As a result, everyone I saw entering the field was doing so in an orderly fashion. 

Thanks for the helpful info. So now I know I will definitely not be running!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Synj said:

Please don't misread my tone, I mean this as a genuine question and not a snide comment. But why would anyone do that?

I've heard of people talking about going from RZ to GA? What's the point of that?

On past tours, they'd let the Red Zone in before regular GA, so in theory you could end up getting that front row dead center spot without waiting all day just for buying the RZ ticket and showing up before the RZ lets in. 

I think this time around they're letting GA in first and then starting RZ entry a few minutes after, so that window isn't there anymore. You can still leave the RZ for GA if you want but you don't get to the floor before GA. Probably for the best. Someone who waits 12 hours for GA should have a shot at the GA floor space before an RZ person just showing up now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, vertigojds said:

On past tours, they'd let the Red Zone in before regular GA, so in theory you could end up getting that front row dead center spot without waiting all day just for buying the RZ ticket and showing up before the RZ lets in. 

I think this time around they're letting GA in first and then starting RZ entry a few minutes after, so that window isn't there anymore. You can still leave the RZ for GA if you want but you don't get to the floor before GA. Probably for the best. Someone who waits 12 hours for GA should have a shot at the GA floor space before an RZ person just showing up now. 

Oh...I'd like to think I wouldn't be tempted but I would definitely be tempted to do just that.

Not saying it's right, but well...ya. 

Lol!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

For anyone who has attended a show in RZ, if you aim for the top of the tree, is the boom in the way the WHOLE show or does it move around?  Does it obstruct views to the main stage? TIA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
13 hours ago, bestia said:

For anyone who has attended a show in RZ, if you aim for the top of the tree, is the boom in the way the WHOLE show or does it move around?  Does it obstruct views to the main stage? TIA

We were in the RZ last night in DC. We were at the top of the tree, and yes, the boom is in the way. I wouldn't say that it was in the way for the whole show, but it was a nuisance at times. Most of the RZ moved when the band was on the main stage, so we were able to position ourselves such that it wasn't really an issue (and then moved back to top of the tree at the end of the JT album). I have to say that it didn't really bother me that much. As an aside, we went into the stadium at about the same time that the Lumineers started playing and only had about 4 people between us and the stage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
On 19/06/2017 at 3:51 PM, Synj said:

Thanks for the reply @ddarroch, really helpful!

I just keep thinking, I want to move wherever the crowd isn't. LOL, I have 3 months to decide and I'm sure my neurosis is only going to get worse.

My wife doesn't understand me, my family doesn't understand me, my friends don't understand me. But you guys...you guys get me! LOL

Synj, you make me laugh.  I've been stressing about this whole thing for months and hubby is like....what's the big deal?!  He gets dragged around all over the place everytime U2 are in Europe and while he enjoys every minute of, it he has no pre ticket sale meltdown, no sleepless nights approaching the big ticket sale day, no intervening months of stress over the whole thing.....sigh, if only I could be so mellow. I'm in a totally different situation this time around....health/mobility at moment mean that I am stressing about even being able to stand up in the redzone, let alone whereabouts....and I only have 13 days left....arghhhh. I may have to sit on the floor at the back of the RZ!!!  So for all those that can stand....be grateful for it.  I'm staying at the hotel next door to the stadium so can at least get there without too much difficulty. After a few drinks I think I will manage and who knows...I may even be able to dance a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
5 hours ago, Heather S said:

Synj, you make me laugh.  I've been stressing about this whole thing for months and hubby is like....what's the big deal?!  He gets dragged around all over the place everytime U2 are in Europe and while he enjoys every minute of, it he has no pre ticket sale meltdown, no sleepless nights approaching the big ticket sale day, no intervening months of stress over the whole thing.....sigh, if only I could be so mellow. I'm in a totally different situation this time around....health/mobility at moment mean that I am stressing about even being able to stand up in the redzone, let alone whereabouts....and I only have 13 days left....arghhhh. I may have to sit on the floor at the back of the RZ!!!  So for all those that can stand....be grateful for it.  I'm staying at the hotel next door to the stadium so can at least get there without too much difficulty. After a few drinks I think I will manage and who knows...I may even be able to dance a bit.

LOL, glad I'm not alone. It's amazing all the aggravation I've gone through just to see a few shows...right now I just need that release but it won't be until September o_0

Enjoy your show, hope it goes great for you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...