Advice on best place to stand in the Red Zone

eveconversa

• Subscriber

so, i did Redzone last night.  Got there at 2:30 and received numbers 18 and 19. I picked the spot behind Edges piano. I saw a little more of their asses than i really wanted to but I was happy with the spot.  When on the B stage, they play mostly to the front. Edge comes over, Adam came over once or twice. Bono didnt come over once.  When the piano is lowered, there is a hole that he probably doesnt want to fall through. Still, a great night. Next time ill get a seat. didnt sit from 2:30 until i got into the car about midnight. 

19511061_1484069144990918_5360691840538954935_n.jpg

• Subscriber
On 20.6.2017 at 3:15 PM, JCF said:

Has anybody here gone into the GA area as soon as you got onto the RZ floor? 

Yes, we did in Seattle ;) Went into RZ briefly before the support act started but the spot we had in normal GA was a lot better, so we went back right away.

Edited by jenny1980

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, jenny1980 said:

Yes, we did in Seattle ;) Went into RZ briefly before the support act started but the spot we had in normal GA was a lot better, so we went back right away.

Where did you end up in GA?

• Subscriber

FYI, i was going to try moving to GA from Redzone, but it is kind of frowned upon since the GA people have been lining up since the day before.  Not fair if someone who spent more money gets a good spot in their section when they have their own Redzone section. 

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, nyru2 said:

FYI, i was going to try moving to GA from Redzone, but it is kind of frowned upon since the GA people have been lining up since the day before.  Not fair if someone who spent more money gets a good spot in their section when they have their own Redzone section. 

No one's really been lining up from the day before though. They've been putting their name on a list and doing check ins. I'm not even saying I would move from RZ to GA, kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion, but I reject the premise that someone who purchased a RZ is doing anything that should be frowned upon when what they are doing, entering GA, is officially condoned by the venue.

Is the argument that an unofficial GA list trumps official venue rules i.e. RZ access to GA?

Someone who paid more money and is following the rules as outlined by the venue should stand aside for people that are creating an unofficial line outside of the venue rules? Based on what? Principle? Seems to me like the real 1%ers here are the people that get rail every show and have a set of rules separate from everyone else. But RZ ticket holders should be the 'bigger' people because they paid for the privilege and didn't 'work' for it?

Sorry, my frustration isn't directed at you, nor am I saying it's your opinion, it just strikes me as a sentiment that flies in the face of logic.

• Subscriber

I was in the RZ last night against the rail along the walkway - it was a great spot and would stand there again if I could!   Yes you see the bands bums when they open but it's only for 3 songs.  Bono stood right in front of us for part of a song;  Adam waved to us as he walked by (me she thinks hopefully...??); and it was a great view of the band & screen.   When I got in, the rail spots by the tree were taken so I moved down always.  Met some great people (?? Josh, Ewan, & Christine) and had a blast!  

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Synj said:

No one's really been lining up from the day before though. They've been putting their name on a list and doing check ins. I'm not even saying I would move from RZ to GA, kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion, but I reject the premise that someone who purchased a RZ is doing anything that should be frowned upon when what they are doing, entering GA, is officially condoned by the venue.

Is the argument that an unofficial GA list trumps official venue rules i.e. RZ access to GA?

Someone who paid more money and is following the rules as outlined by the venue should stand aside for people that are creating an unofficial line outside of the venue rules? Based on what? Principle? Seems to me like the real 1%ers here are the people that get rail every show and have a set of rules separate from everyone else. But RZ ticket holders should be the 'bigger' people because they paid for the privilege and didn't 'work' for it?

Sorry, my frustration isn't directed at you, nor am I saying it's your opinion, it just strikes me as a sentiment that flies in the face of logic.

I dont know. This is what i read here in these forums and someone on line did mention it as well. it does defeat the purpose to move to GA. All in all everything was well done. The Redzone numbering line although unofficial, was honored by the redzone check in people. 

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, nyru2 said:

I dont know. This is what i read here in these forums and someone on line did mention it as well. it does defeat the purpose to move to GA. All in all everything was well done. The Redzone numbering line although unofficial, was honored by the redzone check in people. 

I hope you don't get the wrong impression from me, I'm not trying to say it's you, or your opinion that I disagree with, I think you're just reporting what you've heard and seen, and I've heard and seen the same things.

But what I don't understand is this:

An RZ ticket is a GA ticket but with access to the RZ; ergo the additional cost. It grants additional access, it does not restrict access.

If a person buys an RZ ticket, they are entitled to stand anywhere on the GA floor that they wish as long as they are there first. If they choose to stand in the RZ that is their prerogative, if they choose to stand in GA, that is also there prerogative. Again, the caveat being, first come, first serve.

If people don't like the idea of paying for access, then that's an issue they have with the band/venue. It is not the fault of the ticket holder who is complying with official venue policy and choosing to stand in the place they find most favorable to their experience. It's a ridiculous notion to expect people that have paid more, to stand aside because of 'etiquette'. That would be like saying it's not fair that people that pay more get to sit in the front row.

Nor do I understand why someone who has paid more money, for more access is obligated to confine themselves to only one area when that's not what is required by the venue.

The people that frown on RZ entering GA are imposing their etiquette on someone that is doing exactly what they are entitled to do, when there is literally no offense being committed.

Honoring the unofficial lines is just the path of least resistance for the venue. But it is a small group of people imposing themselves on everyone else and crying fairness, when it's really anything but fair to impose an unofficial set of rules on people that are literally following the policies of the venue.

If I'm being honest, I will comply with the unofficial list and will probably try to get on the list myself because I'm not a jerk and just want to enjoy the show like everyone else. But it doesn't mean I have to agree with it and given the choice, I'd rather a more equitable solution existed.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, beachangel said:

I was in the RZ last night against the rail along the walkway - it was a great spot and would stand there again if I could!   Yes you see the bands bums when they open but it's only for 3 songs.  Bono stood right in front of us for part of a song;  Adam waved to us as he walked by (me she thinks hopefully...??); and it was a great view of the band & screen.   When I got in, the rail spots by the tree were taken so I moved down always.  Met some great people (?? Josh, Ewan, & Christine) and had a blast!  

What time did you get there? Did you get a number and if so, what was it?

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Synj said:

What time did you get there? Did you get a number and if so, what was it?

No number at all.   I got there around 4:30, checked in at 5, grabbed a Stella, and walked in and up to the rail.  I didn't see anyone managing numbers or a line (but I did see someone with a 26 on their hand up the rail a bit so there must have been something going on earlier).   Much of the rail was already taken up by the tree but I was more than happy with where I ended up.  Our whole area was pretty empty until after The Lumineers were finished -- only 1 or 2 people behind us until then.   Really great group around us!!