Sign in to follow this  
claudeflowers

Solution for GA? Red Zone/Wires/Public admission

This won't help me, but maybe it will help future shows, or future tours.

Having seen the absolute shambles of general admission entry in Vancouver and Seattle, I think a formal, structured solution needs to be adopted by the band.

Could future shows allow separate G.A. lines based on how tickets were purchased? So, for example, those who are longtime fan club members were assigned the "Red Hill" group when buying tickets. They would gather in a Red Hill G.A. line at the venue, getting first entry.

Newer fan club members were in the "Wires" group for ticket purchases. Day of the show they would be in a Wires G.A. line and be admitted once all Red Hill ticketholders are inside the venue.

Lastly, those who bought tickets during the public on-sale would be in a third G.A. line allowed into the venue after fan club members.

In short, three separate GA lines, each (loosely, but fairly) reflecting the dedication of the fans.

If U2/Live Nation still insists on using Credit Card entry, I would hope/expect there is a way to flag purchases along these same lines (Red Hill/Wires/Public).

I'd love to know what fans and moderators think of the idea.

Edited by claudeflowers

I think it's a great idea if it would work. I wish they would stop using Ticketbastard altogether and come up something else_ somehow, someway!!!

It's a good idea but scalpers would still manage to get tickets, and could potentially charge even more with the promise of getting preferential queueing. You'd have to figure out how to get rid of scalpers all together.

edit: It also forces people out who are genuine fans but cannot afford to pay $50+ annually, or people who want to go together but are in different groups.

Edited by abluerwhite

1 hour ago, abluerwhite said:

It's a good idea but scalpers would still manage to get tickets, and could potentially charge even more with the promise of getting preferential queueing. You'd have to figure out how to get rid of scalpers all together.

edit: It also forces people out who are genuine fans but cannot afford to pay $50+ annually, or people who want to go together but are in different groups.

Agreed. Paid membership into the fan club isn't really a true barometer of "dedication". I say this has a paying member since it launched.

I'm another that doesn't like having fan club status determine entry order for the reasons others have stated.

I think the solution for GA is having barriers up so people are forced to enter in the order they are lined up in. I haven't done GA the last few tours but did for earlier tours at a few different venues and that was how it was always set up and it worked fine. I think a lot of the issues this tour are because credit card entry is slowing down the scanning of tickets. Seeing as the credit card entry didn't seem to stop the scalpers I think it needs to go as well.

My actually deter scalpers without slowing down entry idea... have something where the actual scannable ticket is sent to people's phones the day of the show and for the small percentage of people that don't have smart phones give them the option of doing will call instead. 

I heard part of the problem with Seattle is the security was half staffed (stupid) and people had tickets on their phones and the people had issues pulling the tickets up on their phones. 

Not a good idea. Long time fans deserve early access to buy tickets but not entry or a closer view.  

11 hours ago, willdo said:

I heard part of the problem with Seattle is the security was half staffed (stupid) and people had tickets on their phones and the people had issues pulling the tickets up on their phones. 

My understanding is that GA is exclusively credit card entry so no one should have been using their phones. Also while I can't speak for the GA lines the ticket lines had adequate security staffing. Each line (and there were many lines) had 2 people, one for bag check and one for the metal detectors. People were moving through pretty quickly wth the exception of those that had nonallowed bags (which wasn't really the venues fault given that they had sent an e-mail with the rules and had tons of signs up) the security lines were actually being held up because the ticket scanning lines were backing up. I can also say my credit card held up my line for a few minutes because they could get it to scan righ. 

It was done this way for the early leg Vertigo show I attended in New Jersey.  (I think we were asked to bring our fan club ID cards, though I don't remember them actually being checked). If I remember correctly, things worked MUCH more smoothly than they have since.  I also remember people from U2s team there to supervise.  Regrettably, I've never seen that again.

Pearl Jam gives priority access of tickets based on seniority and/or fanclub-only presale lottery.  Their GA pits at arenas are fanclub only.  I see no issue with this.  $40/year is not that big of a deal.  I can't see too many tours after this for U2, so it's either too late or about damn time to institute some priority entrance, etc.