Sign in to follow this  
allyson2008

The vibe at JT2017 tour

Is it just me, or does this tour feel different from previous tours? It seems like the band isn't connecting with the audience as much as they have in the past. No dancing with fans on stage. Not as much talking between songs. For me, this makes it feel like they're kind of just "going through the motions." Almost like they want to get the show over with ASAP. Is it just me, or are there others who feel this way?

I'm not saying I won't enjoy the show - and I'm grateful to see them performing again! It's just that something seems off and I can't completely explain what it is... They don't seem as happy or energetic either. Especially Bono. It has even made me wonder if his health is okay. 

I've only seen one show (Van), so don't take too much from my view, but it did seem very business-like to me.  I am thinking things will evolve nicely as the tour progresses.

5 hours ago, allyson2008 said:

Is it just me, or does this tour feel different from previous tours? It seems like the band isn't connecting with the audience as much as they have in the past. No dancing with fans on stage. Not as much talking between songs. For me, this makes it feel like they're kind of just "going through the motions." Almost like they want to get the show over with ASAP. Is it just me, or are there others who feel this way?

I'm not saying I won't enjoy the show - and I'm grateful to see them performing again! It's just that something seems off and I can't completely explain what it is... They don't seem as happy or energetic either. Especially Bono. It has even made me wonder if his health is okay. 

I agree that this this show---at least the one at Levi's Stadium--was a little sluggish.  It was a dramatic difference from i+e at SAP Center in San Jose in 2015.  I was totally looking forward to it ever since tickets went on sale, so I was riding my on high.  But a few songs in, I noticed a different vibe (like you said).  Bono's stage presence is not as dynamic as I am used to.  

That said, it was still a good show, well worth the price of admission.  The screen is amazing and hearing the whole TJT album was awesome.  

I'll venture to say that the growing trend of people recording/tweeting/periscoping/live streaming/etc. U2 shows seems to be affecting Bono--and probably the rest of the band--in a weird way.  You can see him singing into a sea of raised smartphones and it looks like it's robbing him of enthusiasm.  He still tries but it's a little discouraging.  The guy's a pro so he doesn't give up, so I tip my hat to him.

Anyway, I think that might the way the shows will be from now on, unless they many all technology devices.  I'd be fine with that, but I'm an old guy.

5 hours ago, allyson2008 said:

I think the cameras and smartphones definitely can have an affect on energy.

I remember when I was on the floor for the first time, in 2001, I got pretty close to The Edge's side of the stage and any time he was remotely close to where I was standing, I'd cheer and wave my arms and jump up and down, and everyone around me was doing the same.  When I saw then in 2015, from a very similar spot on the floor, anytime he'd come close, people would just hold up cameras at him.  Just imagine the difference: in past tours, the band could approach the audience and be greeted with an overwhelming supply of energy, enthusiasm and good will.  I had some side stage and behind the stage tickets in 2005, and even from back there, I could feel the energy from the audience coming towards the stage.  Now, the band looks out, and they see a crowd of hungry photographers who want something.  Instead of being given energy, it's a thousand individual demands on them, all of these silent cries essentially saying "Stay right there! Pose for me!  Acknowledge me!  Give me a souvenir!"  I also had some behind the stage seats in 2015, and I didn't feel any of that energy from the crowd I felt in 2005.

And who knows, beyond that, maybe it's just weird for them to be playing so many old songs in a row.  They've never done this before.  They've always gone out with a new record, and while it's true that sometimes they weren't playing as many songs from it by the end of the tour as they were at the start, they were always going out there trying to share new music that they had just come up with and believed in with the crowd.  I think not having that new album can make it feel a little off.  I had the same experience with Bruce Springsteen last summer - it's the first time he's gone out on a major tour without something new.  I still loved the shows, and he played a wide variety of everything, but there wasn't that sense of urgency in the performance that he usually has.  When a band like U2 or a solo act like Springsteen put out a new record, everything in the tour is built around that.  Absent that, Springsteen was fun but felt a little aimless.  I can understand if the same thing happened with U2.  I don't know what it says that I'm looking forward to hearing "The Little Things That Give You Away" more than anything else in the show.

Ugh! These "smart" phones have made us do some stupid things! For example, watch people driving while they talk on their phones (or worse, texting while driving)! Sorry for the rant, but I can definitely see how that would affect someone performing. Looking into a sea of people who are staring down at their phones. I think some people need an intervention for phone addiction. I see parents ignoring their kids while the talk, text, etc. It's pretty sad. Okay, enough already, but you get the idea.

I will have my eyes on the band (and the screen, and the whole experience in general). Hopefully, my husband will snap a few pics for me.

It's true. It used to be when they would get close to the crowd it was a sea of arms out towards them, cheering and screaming. Now it's a bunch of arms just pointing a camera at them. Bono has always been one to feed off the crowd. It has to have affect.

4 hours ago, JasonR02 said:

It's true. It used to be when they would get close to the crowd it was a sea of arms out towards them, cheering and screaming. Now it's a bunch of arms just pointing a camera at them. Bono has always been one to feed off the crowd. It has to have affect.

It does.  At least I saw it in Santa Clara.  It was strange.

Wise up guys. The band are older, some of you {we all} are older. If you like the band - be happy that you saw them or are going to see them. These guys are pushing 60. For me it's the music. The band cant do much about ipads and iphones and all other forms of allowable devices in their shows that we fans will thrust towards them.

I've never had a decent shot of the band in recent times live, simply because I don't stand with my phone in the air. It's a choice.

I enjoy the show, I take pics of family and/ or friends I am with pre/post show...but not during. Very appreciative of the footage though that comes out - so it would be a bit of a contradiction if I were to condemn it.

I didn't expect the band to tour until at least 2018 - so this is a welcome bonus.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show myself. It's about the music and I enjoyed it immensely.

I don't think the band gives a rip about cameras & mobile phones taking pics. If they did, it would all be banned. Can it be annoying, sure. Is it ruining the show? No, not at all.