Sign in to follow this  
kitemaster

Current Setlist Sucks and Needs To Be Changed Up Big Time

Its more or less exactly as I expected, shame they dropped ASOH so quickly.

The visuals destroy UV for me...I really don't like it when they do the political/activist visuals over songs. I find it off putting...similar to what they did with Walk On on the 360. I just want to enjoy the music for what it is.

Miss Sarajevo in my honest opinion is a waste of setlist space especially now were down to 21 songs

I thought Sweetest Thing might have got a slot given that its arguably both a JT era song and one of their more recent hits given that it was released again as a single in the 90's. Also thought AIWIY, Desire & Angel of Harlem would have been in rotation.

13 hours ago, richie459 said:

Its more or less exactly as I expected, shame they dropped ASOH so quickly.

The visuals destroy UV for me...I really don't like it when they do the political/activist visuals over songs. I find it off putting...similar to what they did with Walk On on the 360. I just want to enjoy the music for what it is.

Miss Sarajevo in my honest opinion is a waste of setlist space especially now were down to 21 songs

I thought Sweetest Thing might have got a slot given that its arguably both a JT era song and one of their more recent hits given that it was released again as a single in the 90's. Also thought AIWIY, Desire & Angel of Harlem would have been in rotation.

Seems like it's more a political show.......I'm trying my hardest to ignore that aspect and enjoy the music and the more abstract side of things...........

Would be great if they showed Women - Artists and Women that were/are lead singers of bands or solo....On the screen for Ultraviolet....or just regular women who have achieved something in life.......

Edited by pain_18_
I had another idea !//Grammar problems//

Going to the Boston show and i know will enjoy it a lot. Have to agree with the comments here though.  They have never been very spontaneous at least not in the last 2 decades but they should have more songs in their arsenal than this.  I don't buy the whole visuals excuse.  There are plenty of times in the show that the screens are just showing different shots of the band.  They do not need new visuals to add a song to the setlist.  

I know Bono is no spring chicken anymore but a little more energy would go a long way, it all feels very controlled.  

I noticed that "Little Things" wasn't played in Dallas despite being on the set list. That would've been a great disappointment had I been there. That song has really grabbed me for some reason.  I have to agree with a lot of the sentiments expressed in this thread. Being a die hard since 1981, and loving The Unforgettable Fire album, ditching ASOH is a major bummer. I could easily pass on Elevation , although I know that for a live show it tends to pump the crowd up. Many of the songs included seem to there so Bono can comment on a political topic. I get that, but sometimes just letting it rip and playing your butts off works best. The inclusion of Bad after the first show has helped me get past some of my dissatisfaction with the set list overall, and I know that I will love every minute of the two shows I'm going to, but I hope this week off before the Chicago shows helps them refocus the set list.

Yeah I thought the more basic stage set up would have allowed for more setlist flexibility - it actually seems more static than the IE Tour.

Looking forward to the show in Dublin - Had Noel Gallagher not have been supporting I probably wouldn't have been too bothered but its still going to be a good night of music and I'm sure I will be well into it when I'm there. Looking forward to a few songs I've never heard before live - RTST, IGC, RHMT, OTH & TTYW in particular.

Just a few missed opportunities though - I think SBS as an opener is pretty uninspiring (I'm sick of it live full stop). UV as much as I love it was played regularly on the 360 so would have been nice to see a track from AB/Zooropa not played in recent times in that slot.

Miss Sarajevo just seems a wasted opportunity in the setlist - nice song but there must be a hundred songs they haven't played for years that would have gone down better than that one. 

Referencing a previous post, I would much rather hear "Ordinary Love" than " Miss Sarajevo." Since there is a strong attachment to songs that can be wedded to a political/social issue, OL and the life of Nelson Mandela certainly fit the bill. 

Hmm. I have never really understood the urge by fans to change or modify the setlist. The setlist is what the band wants it to be and they have their reasons. It always feels a bit stupid to offer another setlist for U2, well not a bit, a lot. Not only U2 but all bands. Sorry. But yes, I agree it is lovely to have more than 21 songs per gig somewhere miles away indeed.

However, I think this discussion made it clear for me the time of U2 is past in a personal level. Have felt kinda funny (it's a little bit funny this feeling inside) with the band after 360 I think that was it (...also after I/E). For me - for the band, well obviously not. They continue, fine, and did they look happy, interested and alert during I/E? or before? and after Bono's back, arm, head? I mean the front guy is, whatever you say, everything, and sometimes hoping the best like retiring to France before continuing the dance with Prince - in the name of love. 

In the name of love.

Edited by jaanakulo

I agree Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride are (totally) overplayed. Had that feeling already during earlier tours. Miss Sarajevo is a miscast during this tour. Why not play Silver and Gold and a B-side like Luminous Times for instance? And it would be great to hear a song like Heartland, very appropriate for this tour.

Couldn't agree more! 21 songs is pathetic (mentioned on another thread, Springsteen at Wembley on The River tour did 33!) - maybe a change in set for London / Europe as it gets dark really late and Streets really needs to be at night to work.

Got tickets for both London nights (GA and then Seated) and Dublin (GA) - just hope they put ASOH back in, keep Bad and chuck in a "shine like stars" 

would love to hear Heartland

Overall - seems like a really lazy set

Have you seen this?

Bono talks about set list: HERE.

Edited by CorkVegan