Sign in to follow this  
kitemaster

Current Setlist Sucks and Needs To Be Changed Up Big Time

On 5/27/2017 at 4:36 AM, jaanakulo said:

Well hard to imagine they would change the set list because it is a complete show again with the visuals, no improvisation or risks - all that stuff is for young and hungry men I guess. Bruce Springsteen is on his own level have seen his 3½ hour show yeah he has earned his nickname. When I have looked at some clips of this tour of U2 I cannot get inspired to travel abroad for a show the original TJT concert is enough for me and a cherished memory in a different time, a different place

I have seen every Springsteen tour since Born to Run.  I saw the last tour when they did The River.  Save that album, it was the same old stuff I always hear when I want to hear other songs like Human Touch and Brilliant Disguise and Tougher then the Rest.  I'm not arguing with you. Every long time fan has the songs they want to hear but the main core audience is going to get the ones we do not want to hear.  They can not possibly change it up without the masses having a fit.  It's the unfortunate truth.  One always hears Badlands and Thunder Road and so many other songs at a Springsteen show.  The two bands I've seen really mix it up are Radiohead and Pearl Jam.  Both are great bands but have more hardcore fans going than the masses which are going to see U2.  Pearl Jam also charged less than $100 for their last tour.  I saw them in Milwaukee and they did the album, Yield, start to finish.  It was incredible.  The crowd went nuts.  U2 cannot do that and switch it up like others; not at $280 a seat.

Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride and Miss Sarajevo seem very apropos to what is happening in our world.  How could U2 do a concert and not do Pride?

How many people have died in bombings and shootings in just the last month?   Sunday Bloody Sunday seems like a great opener to me and I never want to hear it, yet once again, it's very apropos to what we are facing.

I thought their last tour was amazing.  I think this one will be great.  I'd rather have more new stuff but for whatever reason they are not there yet.  I think we will get that new album and tour sooner than we realize.  This is a Summer tour and it's very short. 

Do I want to hear all the old stuff?  No!  Skip I Will Follow and such but at least they are playing Bad.  I'd pay just to see that one song.  It is what it is.  Everyone that mentions these shows is talking about how awesome it is to hear The Joshua Tree yet few of them know Red Hill Mining Town and not one single person knew Mothers of the Disappeared when I mentioned it being the song I most want to hear off The Joshua Tree.  They want to hear the ones we have seen too many times.  It's the unfortunate truth.

I think this band is very hungry.  It's only been two years since the IE tour.  We usually wait four or five.  I think we will have the tour we want in a couple years or less.

Edited by Manohlive

2 hours ago, CorkVegan said:

Have you seen this?

Bono talks about set list: HERE.

Thank you for posting this.  I just read it after making my comments below.  It makes sense.  It's also exciting to hear we are closer to the new music.  Rolling Stone got attacked for the rape on campus debacle.  However, I read an article by Matt Taibbi which mentioned Fentanyl and heroin being mixed together well over a decade ago.  People were dying in New York with needles in their arms because they were instantly paralyzed and then smothered to death while unable to move.  He predicted the opioid epidemic we now face in America.  I need to resubscribe.  Thank you very much.

6 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride and Miss Sarajevo seem very apropos to what is happening in our world.  How could U2 do a concert and not do Pride?

How many people have died in bombings and shootings in just the last month?   Sunday Bloody Sunday seems like a great opener to me and I never want to hear it, yet once again, it's very apropos to what we are facing.

I thought their last tour was amazing.  I think this one will be great.  I'd rather have more new stuff but for whatever reason they are not there yet.  I think we will get that new album and tour sooner than we realize.  This is a Summer tour and it's very short. 

Do I want to hear all the old stuff?  No!  Skip I Will Follow and such but at least they are playing Bad.  I'd pay just to see that one song.  It is what it is.  Everyone that mentions these shows is talking about how awesome it is to hear The Joshua Tree yet few of them know Red Hill Mining Town and not one single person knew Mothers of the Disappeared when I mentioned it being the song I most want to hear off The Joshua Tree.  They want to hear the ones we have seen too many times.  It's the unfortunate truth.

I think this band is very hungry.  It's only been two years since the IE tour.  We usually wait four or five.  I think we will have the tour we want in a couple years or less.

Yep...They're playing BAD this tour......

#######################################BONO_FACE_PALM_12507699_923472787729021_3654823686777658450_n.jpg

9 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I have seen every Springsteen tour since Born to Run.  I saw the last tour when they did The River.  Save that album, it was the same old stuff I always hear when I want to hear other songs like Human Touch and Brilliant Disguise and Tougher then the Rest.  I'm not arguing with you. Every long time fan has the songs they want to hear but the main core audience is going to get the ones we do not want to hear.  They can not possibly change it up without the masses having a fit.  It's the unfortunate truth.  One always hears Badlands and Thunder Road and so many other songs at a Springsteen show.  The two bands I've seen really mix it up are Radiohead and Pearl Jam.  Both are great bands but have more hardcore fans going than the masses which are going to see U2.  Pearl Jam also charged less than $100 for their last tour.  I saw them in Milwaukee and they did the album, Yield, start to finish.  It was incredible.  The crowd went nuts.  U2 cannot do that and switch it up like others; not at $280 a seat.

Yes, thank you - I have seen The Boss only once and what a bliss, in my hometown (Tampere) which was really something. Not exactly a fan of Bruce even though I like some of his songs a lot - The River always gets me the song of my parents - however the stamina on stage at the age of my father was mind blowing. 

PS. lovely pic of B. above :wub:

Edited by jaanakulo

Uhm....This is very important: Perhaps U2 should charge less for the tickets bc I'm getting the sensation it isn't about the fans anymore, not that it should be 100%, you gotta think abut yourself too...But fans catapulted them to where they are...And fans also want SOE, we know it's ready so bust it out, you guys !!!!...........

OK, I'm gonna say this.....U2 don't have to answer to anyone, they make whatever set-list they want, that's very true, its their right as artists to not care about what others say when their gut is telling them otherwise..........But don't tease us with A Sort of Homecoming and Little Things and then drop them.............Following the logic of dropping songs.....you'd better drop Elevation and B-Day....

Also, the opener...the opener should be more abstract....Open with Hawkmoon 269, God Part II, When LOVE comes to Town, ASOH or Silver And Gold.....Or something up-beat and energetic less played dating before TJT.....

I also get it that it takes time to rehearse it.....Just pick one of those and beat the heck out of it until the next gig, then

SBS, if they need to play it so badly...it's a political song....that fits in another section oft he show and at executive political staff meetings.....It's a great song, nonetheless....WOULD work better if Larry and Edge's intro parts were longer.....They need to build up the momentum before Bono comes in with the " Ooooooh-OOoooH"

I said it because I couldn't hold it in but at the end of the day I'm content U2 are still around and I'm gonna tune in to as many MIXLRs as I can and go crazy air-drumming......Oh yeah and I;m insanely  impatient to hear SOE !!!!! Now that they teased us with Little Things.... and it sounds great..........

Edited by pain_18_

12 hours ago, jaanakulo said:

Yes, thank you - I have seen The Boss only once and what a bliss, in my hometown (Tampere) which was really something. Not exactly a fan of Bruce even though I like some of his songs a lot - The River always gets me the song of my parents - however the stamina on stage at the age of my father was mind blowing. 

PS. lovely pic of B. above :wub:

Most of my favorite songs by Bruce are ones to which nobody listens save the hardcore fans.  The Fuse off The Rising.  Tougher than the Rest and Spare Parts off Tunnel of Love. (Which seems to be his Pop album, in my humble opinion.)  So many others exist.  FM radio used to call them deep cuts, perhaps it still does.  It was fun when they would let fans call in and then play one's choice for a deep cut.  I hope they still do that.  I have seen Bruce and the E Street many times.  I feel like a traitor because my favorite show was the night Bill Clinton got elected to his first term as President.  That was the tour when he used members of Lone Justice for his band and not the E Street.  He played for 5 1/2 hours when I saw the Born in the USA tour.  We were exhausted just watching.  It makes me happy you got to see him once in your hometown.  I love the band, Dawes, and they are finally coming back to Milwaukee.  It is special when it's home.  It also does not involve hours of driving!  My friends are wimps so I usually go alone.  LOL.

Thank you for pointing out the picture.  I may not have noticed it had you not.  That may well turn out to be my favorite picture of Bono. 

Edited by Manohlive
my own stupidity and not editing well before hitting save

10 hours ago, pain_18_ said:

Uhm....This is very important: Perhaps U2 should charge less for the tickets bc I'm getting the sensation it isn't about the fans anymore, not that it should be 100%, you gotta think abut yourself too...But fans catapulted them to where they are...And fans also want SOE, we know it's ready so bust it out, you guys !!!!...........

OK, I'm gonna say this.....U2 don't have to answer to anyone, they make whatever set-list they want, that's very true, its their right as artists to not care about what others say when their gut is telling them otherwise..........But don't tease us with A Sort of Homecoming and Little Things and then drop them.............Following the logic of dropping songs.....you'd better drop Elevation and B-Day....

Also, the opener...the opener should be more abstract....Open with Hawkmoon 269, God Part II, When LOVE comes to Town, ASOH or Silver And Gold.....Or something up-beat and energetic less played dating before TJT.....

I also get it that it takes time to rehearse it.....Just pick one of those and beat the heck out of it until the next gig, then

SBS, if they need to play it so badly...it's a political song....that fits in another section oft he show and at executive political staff meetings.....It's a great song, nonetheless....WOULD work better if Larry and Edge's intro parts were longer.....They need to build up the momentum before Bono comes in with the " Ooooooh-OOoooH"

I said it because I couldn't hold it in but at the end of the day I'm content U2 are still around and I'm gonna tune in to as many MIXLRs as I can and go crazy air-drumming......Oh yeah and I;m insanely  impatient to hear SOE !!!!! Now that they teased us with Little Things.... and it sounds great..........

I presume you read the article in Rolling Stone where Bono speaks of the current tour, it's set list and where they are at with SOE?  Am I wrong in assuming he is pretty much telling us it's coming soon?  This tour is only two months long.  I keep saying that but seem alone in thinking SOE is closer than we think.  Hope!  I need it.  :)

Edited by Manohlive

On 5/28/2017 at 3:10 AM, pain_18_ said:

Yep.....I like this setllist.......I'd also have " The Unforgettable Fire "  thrown in.......Also.....not so sure about " When I look at the world ", would have THE FLY or Until the end of the world instead.....(not necessarily in that order)....

Here's mine:

1st Part of the show

Hawkmooon 269  (with long guitar intro)

God Part II (crazy solo version, also Larry goes wild)

When Love Comes to Town (it tells You that LOVE has just come to town)

Bad

A sort of Homecoming (first of all because it's f*** great and then because its sparkling ending blends in perfectly with Eno's synth at the beginning of Streets, also they're the openers of U2's 4th and 5th albums so ....)

Streets & TJT in sequence

Encore

THE FLY (You Know WHY)

Until the End of The World

The Unforgettable Fire (which can be inter-changed with B-sides like Walk to the Water, Deep in the Heart, A Room at the HEartBreak Hotel, Dancing Barefoot, Luminous Times and the likes)

Promenade  (which can be swapped with any *POP* song, I know I'm in the minority here)

Would love to hear Bono say ; "  Thought we'd play this one...because, well....Why not ? Isn't that right The Edge ?"

Boy Falls From the Sky (I really love this one and thank you so much for bringing it into discussion!!!!)  on some nights and Little Things on other nights (cause I looove it) .

I'd love most of what you suggested but the crowd would riot.  I would not get another chance to see my beloved Green Bay Packers beat the Bears in Soldier Field.  (I'm trying to be humorous with teasing yet giving respect to Chicago and the Bears because we've had so many great and important games together.)  It's all good because the Bears will be champions again...sigh.  Soldier Field must remain intact.  I'm sorry but that setlist, while a U2 wet dream, is unacceptable. (Again I give due respect, but still attempt humor.)  I am a Cheesehead and I own it!   LOL 

Yes, @Manohlive......I read it but he always says SOE is close, he's been saying it since 2014....lol.. .........I read  about the set-list too.............Like I said.....they play what they want....!!! But I llke this forum, where we can talk about what songs we'd want or not.....Who doesn't have the desire to hear that instead of the other one and so on and so forth.......

Glad you like the B-man photo I posted, it's one of my faves,,,,,