Sign in to follow this  
vertigojds

Why are venue rules for GA lines not being enforced?

I think @vertigojds and I are cut from the same cloth because I agree with him entirely.

This system benefits the 1% of the people at the top over and over, so of course they see no reason why it should be changed.

17 hours ago, ddarroch said:

The problems I see with the line are, if people don't know it's there. There's got to be plenty of posts on social media to inform people when & where check-ins will be.

This is my biggest problem with the whole thing. If I buy a Ticket from TM, and I follow the rules posted by the band, the venue and the promoter, how am I supposed to know there's another blog/Facebook/Twitter that has a set of unofficial line rules that I'm expected to follow? More importantly, even if I know about the unofficial line rules, why am I obligated to follow them? As vertigo said, why are there two sets of rules?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a civil person and I understand the 'why' behind these lines and I think they started under the guise of good intentions. But when it's the same people over and over that have the very best spots every single time, you have to ask yourself how that happens.

The idea of camping out or standing all day in a line all day sounds awful. I still think that one official line hosted by the official band website or TM is the only fair way of doing it. Login at 8am day of show and register for your GA#, print it out, then show up an hour before doors open to line up. Anyone that didn't register is given their number when they arrive, or if doors are open they just walk in per usual. This is basically how airlines like Southwest do it, you check in 24 hours before your flight and are assigned your spot in line, first come first serve.

In fairness, they've monetized this and they use it with rewards too. The band could easily have a Red Hills line registration at 6am, Wires at 7am, and general public at 8am.
The same hardcore fans would probably benefit the most from this system, but at least it's all public and above board and if you're quick to register, there's still a chance you could get #1.

Here's a question for someone in the know: who gets #1 now and why do they get to declare themselves as #1? Honest question.

Just had a read of the Fedex Field GA line rules. Interesting.

Keen to see if those rules are followed and how it works.

Edited by bestia

1 hour ago, bestia said:

Just had a read of the Fedex Field GA line rules. Interesting.

Keen to see if those rules are followed and how it works.

Link please?

And the problem arises when things like these get posted and numbered lines start early anyway! 

3 hours ago, bestia said:

And the problem arises when things like these get posted and numbered lines start early anyway! 

I think that's a great system.

If anyone tried to tell me that they were in front of me on day of show, there would be words.

Well some people on Twitter have already started a line at fedex. Have to convince the venue to not honor it.

Can someone please explain how this works for those with GA? Do you wait in line and get a wristband or something and then get to leave and come back? Or are you in line at 8am and have to sit there until doors open? I want to be close, but I don't necessarily care about being along the rail. Totally fine being 8-10 people back from a good area of the stage. Just wondering what time to get in there. Thanks.

It varies. Usually people are expected to wait in line from the time they arrive on show day, occasionally venues will wristband people & send them away until around 2-4pm. Check with your venue. If you're happy to be 8-10 people deep you won't have to arrive too early. I'd assume not long before gates open? Though that's just a guess.

I'm going to the New Jersey shows, and I just got an email from them with show information.  All of the information is also posted on the venue's official website:

http://www.metlifestadium.com/alert-detail-page/lists/info-news-alerts/heading-here-for-u2-the-joshua-tree-tour-2017-on-june-28-or-29-what-you-need-to-know

The site very clearly says the following:
" NO OVERNIGHT CAMPING IS PERMITTED ON SPORTS COMPLEX PROPERTY. LINING UP OUTSIDE STADIUM PARKING LOTS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED BEFORE 10:00 AM. "

More than any other policy at any other venue this tour, this is 100% explicitly clear that fans may not line up ahead of time, or start unofficial lines, or stop by the stadium to say they were first because they drove by two days early, etc.  This is 100% clear that that sort of behavior is not permitted.  This was sent out to every person who purchased a ticket to the show.  There are approximately 20,000 GA floor tickets between both nights.  So that's 20,000 fans that have been given crystal clear directions on when they can and can't show up.

What do you want to bet someone tries to start a list anyway?  In the face of such clear guidance, so widely shared with all ticket holders, I think it would be enormously disrespectful of the "list" fans to start a list and an early queue here.  20,000 people have been given specific instructions about what to do.  A select handful of people shouldn't get a special reward for going against those instructions.  I sincerely hope the stadium refuses to honor any kind of fan-run list that's done against the express instructions of the venue.

LINING UP OUTSIDE STADIUM PARKING LOTS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED BEFORE 10:00 AM. "

Who will stop people from doing this?