What cover song should U2 play at your venue

Hampden Park

This would be my choice of a cover version which would be rightfull tribute to one of the edge best friends, Stuart Adamson ofBig Country

My choice of cover version for U2 to do: Into The Valley

U2 GUITAR hero The Edge paid tribute to the Scots punk rockers who launched his superstar career.

He hailed The Skids - led by singer Richard Jobson and late guitarist Stuart Adamson - The Fife band were honoured with a lifetime achievement award

The Edge - whose band covered Skids classic The Saints Are Coming

The first Skids song I ever heard was Into The Valley - I immediately wanted to write something as good.

Stuart Adamson's guitar playing left me feeling wholly inadequate. He had a big influence on me

I'd actually like to see them play something that belongs to their contemporaries like Coldplay or the Killers. They seem to be the holy trinity at themoment (I found it amazing that they are all linked up because they are my 3 favourite bands).

Whooooah. That's blasphemous to put the Killers in the "Holy Trinity". And how exactly are they all "amazingly" linked up?

Ok, so Coldplay are supposedly "natural successors to U2's crown", and Killers have toured with U2 and are fans.

Dont get me wrong, I like both of them but think you might be letting your imagination carry you away!!!

I'd like U2 to cover a Hothouse Flowers song. They're a brilliant Irish rock/folk band that Bono is a big fan of and "discovered".

I'd seriously recommend anyone to buy their Songs From The Rain or Home albums!

Dunno...might be interesting to hear them do "Springhill Mining Disaster" again?

But...gawd, people! U2 covering the likes of Coldplay or the Killers? Christallmighty, are we talking about U2, or some bar band that can't write theirown material? If that's what you want, go see a U2 "tribute" band and bribe them to play a Coldplay song.

Seriously, given how much this tour is gonna cost us all--since so many of us have to travel to see even one show--the last thing I'd want to hear is U2doing Coldplay karaoeke-time. Also, given the quality and depth of U2's own songbook, should any fan in their right mind want to waste even a minute ofit on dopey cover songs?

Besides, having a band of U2's years cover songs by more recent bands rather smells of an old music-industry ploy, namely, having "heritage" actscover younger bands' songs, or team up with those younger musicians in the studio, in a sad attempt to appeal to the youngsters out there. U2 have noneed to do that sort of thing; any one of the first four tracks on NLOTH would just flatten...oh, let's pick on Coldplay, all right? Could flatten theirwhole catalog like a steamroller.

But covers? Unless U2 pulls something out of left field, I think they've got more than enough of their own music to choose from.

-- eaplatt

ONE01 wrote:

Whooooah. That's blasphemous to put the Killers in the "Holy Trinity". And how exactly are they all "amazingly" linked up?

Ok, so Coldplay are supposedly "natural successors to U2's crown", and Killers have toured with U2 and are fans.

Dont get me wrong, I like both of them but think you might be letting your imagination carry you away!!!

I'd like U2 to cover a Hothouse Flowers song. They're a brilliant Irish rock/folk band that Bono is a big fan of and "discovered".

I'd seriously recommend anyone to buy their Songs From The Rain or Home albums!

Don't get me wrong, U2 are still my favourite by miles and miles, but when I discovered that my 3 favourite bands were all linked somehow (Coldplay bigfans of U2, The Killers were insipired by Coldplay, and they all do similar charity work) it stunned me a little that all my favourite bands are still linkedback to U2.

U2 are the biggest band in the world, Coldplay are often called that too and the Killers are steaming hot, and they all played the same gig together and sang aKillers song.

You guys might be older than me so you might have different tastes, but certainly from my standpoint they're probably the top 3 bands going around at themoment.

LOL

how about a simple minds or NEW ORDER song?

seriously. bono sang some of SM's "up on the catwalk" during the last tour ....or was that the one before it... gah i cant remember.. gotta checkmy bootleg file, lol..

oh, and someone somewhere in summertime... both bands were really good friends and close musical peers back in the 80s...

new order.. well, bono enjoyed doing the Love Will Tear Us Apart covers... why not an actual new order song this time...

perhaps Bizarre Love Triangle? or regret? Love Triangle would be cooler, i think. a snippet of it, perhaps at the end of a song.

or.. RADIOHEAD... especially something from the last album. or an entire song. Mmm Reckoner.....