The Blackout

U2Community

• Community Manager
7 minutes ago, dermo said:

Expected more based on the clip yesterday. Hopefully it's a grower.  Interesting to see some of the usual suspects randomly selected for the video.

all those selected got to bring a +1 and some of the +1's were well known fans, bloggers, documenters, fansite contributors / owners etc, who do loads for the u2 community, and it felt like quite a few who got picked by film company, offered their +1's to those folks. Amazing day of U2 Community. One of the best.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Love the song!  The Bass is great!  To me it feels a little bit Achtung Baby and War mixed up. For bigwave and the others there, I wonder how it was to hear the song all day and then have to wait a month.  That would probably make my brain go a little crazy!  Really hope they play it in Buffalo on Tuesday!!!!

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, dwenn said:

Love the song!  The Bass is great!  To me it feels a little bit Achtung Baby and War mixed up. For bigwave and the others there, I wonder how it was to hear the song all day and then have to wait a month.  That would probably make my brain go a little crazy!  Really hope they play it in Buffalo on Tuesday!!!!

very catchy.. was humming it for days afterwards.. very hard not to talk about it.. 

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, dmway said:

You know, the thing I liked the most about the song is that fact that you wouldn't necessarily know it was U2 at first. The last time I had that feeling hearing U2 was when I first heard "Achtung Baby", "Zoo Station" specifically. That is, they appear to be trying to expand the 'U2 sound' (i.e., the overall sound we all hear in U2 songs that makes their songs different from (and better than) others) beyond what is known or expected from them.

I didn't love, or even understand, songs like "Zoo Station" at first - but, I adore them now! I hope this song is a initial signal that "Songs Of Experience" could possibly be an attempt to create an AB for the 21st Century. (Well, that is my hope anyway. :)

Looking forward to next week! :D

BEST comment  on this topic.....That's what I hope too.....When I first heard Achtung Baby I thought the cassette was broken (because of Zoo Station and Love is Blindness was so low in volume I could barely hear it, .......) and I was angry and confused for a bit there...

.... The groove only kicked in 5 listens in when I truly understood what  was going on...

There definitely was something special there from the first listen ...though

Now I have headphones and I listen to Achtung Baby everyday......

Regardless the means by which one listens to stuff, I think it's that feeling of never before that you get......Which can be unsettling ........You know..babysteps into unknown territory....Having no idea what you're doing ....

And I think it is the case here too...

Roll on the 6th of September !!!

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, dmway said:

You know, the thing I liked the most about the song is that fact that you wouldn't necessarily know it was U2 at first. The last time I had that feeling hearing U2 was when I first heard "Achtung Baby", "Zoo Station" specifically. That is, they appear to be trying to expand the 'U2 sound' (i.e., the overall sound we all hear in U2 songs that makes their songs different from (and better than) others) beyond what is known or expected from them.

I didn't love, or even understand, songs like "Zoo Station" at first - but, I adore them now! I hope this song is a initial signal that "Songs Of Experience" could possibly be an attempt to create an AB for the 21st Century. (Well, that is my hope anyway. :)

Looking forward to next week! :D

3 minutes ago, pain_18_ said:

BEST comment  on this topic.....That's what I hope too.....When I first heard Achtung Baby I thought the cassette was broken (because of Zoo Station and Love is Blindness was so low in volume I could barely hear it, .......) and I was angry and confused for a bit there...

.... The groove only kicked in 5 listens in when I truly understood what  was going on...

THIS!!

It's really a different U2! The way it begins with Edge's guitar, then on to ADAM's..It's like they got into something different. The lyrics are what I love the most, "throw  yourself about" 

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, pain_18_ said:

Thank you for your kind words! :) Yes! What I said when I first heard the opening strains of "Zoo Station" was, "What the F%*K is this?!?" :D But, now AB by far is my favorite U2 album - they completely challenged what I had in my mind as U2. Because they had, AB was all I could listen to for a long time - I still love it.

Of course, just hearing one song who can say what the rest of the album will sound like? But, "Blackout" made me jerk my head around the same way as "Zoo Station" did - not what I was expecting at all. And, they used this song as the first hint into what the rest of the album may sound like (apart from the live "The Little Things That Give You Away" this summer). I have optimism. :)

Archived