Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U2Community

The Blackout

I liked this song pretty fast, but as with a lot of U2 songs, the more I listen to it the more I like it, like you said Max.

Sounds like a mash-up of 'Joey Ramone' and 'Crystal Ballroom'. Ryan Tedder's hands are all over this. Having spent the last few days listening to the new 'War On Drugs' album, this new song sounds...uninspired.

3 hours ago, Malahide said:

To judge after one listen is difficult, but I'm not convinced. I was hoping for an epic song with a great melody, but it isn't. Maybe I change my mind later.

The song grows on me. Amazing how a few more listenings can change your opinion. Although I don't think it will become a U2 classic.

I expect The Blackout will work very well live. Maybe it will be the opener of the shows during the next tour?

Sounds good and looking forward to getting to know the song a little more. I love The Little Things.......so very hopeful SOE will be a good album. I've gone back to SOI recently and still dig it aside from a couple of tracks. I would love something A little ambient/moody like my all time favourite album Unforgettable Fire. To make that album as a 4th studio album took balls!

Adam's Bass is killer on this track, I'm liking it so far, It will be a highlight for sure on the SOE tour.

2 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

I'm also hearing perhaps some Ryan Tedder influence in the song? 

I should add I'm not necessarily 100% pleased by this (I have good reasons) but the band love him & appear to be good friends with him. I love U2 so I'll shush ? He has produced notable hits & does good work when he's trying. I'm keeping an open mind. 

While I'm enjoying this song I am hoping for more from the album. I did absolutely love The little things so I'm definitely excited for the album.

I ❤️U2. Roll on SOE ?????❤️

It sounds like Even Better than the Real Thing mixed in with Vertigo, The Fly, Invisable, California, and Santa Barbara and pieces of so many of their songs jumbled into one song..Somehow it works but Dear God, it is OBVIOUS Bono wrote the words...For a band that has the worst lyrics to their songs, when those songs are played live the energy fills the room or since they are big rock stars, energy fills the stadiums. I would have called the song BIZARRE but obviously the Songs of Experience has taught them, no matter what they write or play, it will sell out tours..The words could read the COW JUMPED OVER THE MOON and it would still sell....Maybe it will grow on me but there is just so much thrown into this one song that visually it is MAYHEM for folks that see music. It's like an artist that went mad.

I do indeed like the song more and more upon each listen.  I also really like The Little Things.  I was disappointed when they stopped playing it in Europe. To each there own for sure and I am not ready to say this will be an all-time classic, but I find it interesting that people can declare not a classic on a song out for less than 30 hours and compare to songs that have been classics for over 30 years.  I have had great discussions with an old friend and long time U2 fan over the new stuff versus the classic stuff about the new songs not having the same feeling and attitude.  My point has been that when say Iris is a great song for 2 years, that it is just another two years that With or Without You has been great.  The new songs can never catch up.  But in the end if you are a band that can release a song like this after being a band for 2 years, than you are quite fortunate.  If you are a band that releases this song after being a band for nearly 42 years, that is unprecedented. 

10 minutes ago, wahine said:

It sounds like Even Better than the Real Thing mixed in with Vertigo, The Fly, Invisable, California, and Santa Barbara and pieces of so many of their songs jumbled into one song..Somehow it works but Dear God, it is OBVIOUS Bono wrote the words...For a band that has the worst lyrics to their songs, when those songs are played live the energy fills the room or since they are big rock stars, energy fills the stadiums. I would have called the song BIZARRE but obviously the Songs of Experience has taught them, no matter what they write or play, it will sell out tours..The words could read the COW JUMPED OVER THE MOON and it would still sell....Maybe it will grow on me but there is just so much thrown into this one song that visually it is MAYHEM for folks that see music. It's like an artist that went mad.

Cow Jumps Over the Moon sounds brilliant to me, really.........