U2.com 2018 Subscription FAQ Thread

• Subscriber

I don't think the band makes a statement on this pre-sale situation -, at least soon.

I think the problems with the pre-sale have just been talked about in U2 fan circles and not the wider music world. Until it spills over to being reported about in music news, I don't think they draw attention to their mistakes here.

I don't think they want this press & narrative going into the new album - only two weeks out from release. Especially after the blowup with the last album's distribution. It feels like every album review & story about SoI was about the problem with "forcing it into everyones iPhones". They probably don't want this ticketing screwup to spread & take over the conversation. Maybe if the music they've released so far was more commercially successful, but it feels like what they have released so far hasn't been to a level of success U2 wants/needs.

Edited by cpp203
  • Like 1
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This part of the presale is for the North America leg - If you are outside this region but plan to attend any of these shows, please complete all the steps. For Europe, please wait until the proced

We are still working on this "Not Eligible email" issue... if you don't get any immediate answer to your PM, it doesn't mean we are doing nothing - there are many reports about this and they are arriv

...and today is a truly blessed day. After months of collective feedback-giving about the formats available to us for the annual gift, we have finally been heard. If you look in your account

Posted Images

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, 504jumper said:

This whole code thing is an abject failure. For every person that got a code, there was someone who didn't, or the code didn't work.  I don't think it's even 50% success, which is terrible.  I guess we can at least know that our misery is in good company.  

My life is better with U2 in it.  Hopefully, that add shows.  LA usually gets more than one.  There were two shows in San Jose for i+e 2015, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  If I get tickets, it will be "Magnificent". ;)

Not only are they certain to add shows at most cities, but Ticketmaster is likely to release more tickets to the existing "sold out" shows.  It's happened for me before that I just checked on some random evening a few weeks after the fact, to find that GA tickets were available (and were then gone 5 minutes later after I made my purchase).

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Zoonation76 said:

Well this turned out to be the biggest scam ever.  Renew your membership early for the chance to buy the worst tickets ever.  Ridiculous, but my fault.  Should have known better.  This is not about the fans.  It is all about money.

There are still more fans than released tickets, so it will never be a perfect system.  If U2 were not as popular, everyone who wanted a ticket could get one.  What will probably happen is that they'll release a second show, and then you'll have a better chance, because most of the people from Night One are not going to return for Night Two (but I will).

• Subscriber

No GA's for the iNnocence group is honestly laughable.  But it makes sense when you think about it.  Osery knows that GA tickets will be super easy to sell.  Casual fans will gobble them up in the general (or Citi) sale.  The $331 tickets in second deck?  Not so much.  So, make those available to the die hard fans who already shelled out $50 for the chance to get early tickets.  A good portion of them will panic and just pony up that ridiculous amount for marginal seats.

Then, reserve all the good expensive seats for packages.  Rich people who don't want the hassle of spending the time will just shell out the cash.  Then, take the vast majority of the good seats and unload them to the secondary market (who you are in bed with) to hedge the cost of the tour.  Hopefully they sell and the shows are sold out.  If they don't, prices will drop as the dates approach.  Lastly, as the show approaches and the vast majority of the "packages" go unsold (because the prices are ridiculous), release those good tickets back in the gen pop of tickets at $331 and they will sell because the seats are so good.

This is the game. Which is fine.  Very smart people are hedging risk and looking to make big bucks on this tour. Lots of mouths to feed, and those mouths prefer caviar.

The problem is the dishonesty.  It is disgusting.  The whole blitz by TM, Osery (and the band itself) about how they want to get tickets into the hands of real fans is complete and total horseshit.  They leverage the diehard fans in the pre-sale to gobble up crap tickets at terrible price points because they know they will.  They actually charge them a club membership fee for the privilege of doing so.  Money is king, and the bs lip service paid to fans is only part of the machinery in service of that king.

Edited by Zoonation76
  • Like 1
  • Brilliant 2
  • Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Rich T. said:

There are still more fans than released tickets, so it will never be a perfect system.  If U2 were not as popular, everyone who wanted a ticket could get one.  What will probably happen is that they'll release a second show, and then you'll have a better chance, because most of the people from Night One are not going to return for Night Two (but I will).

Anyone who is in the fan club will probably do night 2 also...but probably will not get a code.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, 504jumper said:

Yeah, I didn't get a code. Stared stupidly at the screen wondering what to do next. Tried calling TM's toll-free number, no luck. Confirmed my account was set up correctly, check. Confirmed my mobile number was correct. It's 10:23 pm here in S.F. and no code, no email, even though I used the Help link provided by the Mods.  Nothing. Not even a general email apologizing to those who didn't get a code.  The sad part is, I don't expect one. These guys suck they same way certain large corporations suck.  They're the only game in town and they know we know it. 

If all else fails, and you can't get a ticket when they open up more shows, just show up at the venue in the morning, and you have an excellent chance of finding someone with an extra ticket who will sell it at original cost.  U2 fans are helpful, and are not looking to scalp tickets.

Edited by Rich T.
y
  • Subscriber
34 minutes ago, james busick said:

We will most likely never know for sure, but my bet would be that the success rate was WAY more than 50%.  There were probably many people who did get tickets for every one that didn’t.  Most of those who had no problems won’t be on here talking about it. 

there are lots of tickets available using the pre-sale code.  they are just crap.  and have been since the pre-sale opened.  I heard the Citi pre-sale people had better luck with GA's.  Far more were released to that group.  But again, those would be more casual fans, so completely expected that more accessible tickets would be released.  Milk the die hard fans.  They are a layup.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, malaboo said:

Anyone who is in the fan club will probably do night 2 also...but probably will not get a code.

It would be interesting to know the repeat rate, but I'd guess less than half of fan club members do both nights.

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Rich T. said:

Not only are they certain to add shows at most cities, but Ticketmaster is likely to release more tickets to the existing "sold out" shows.  It's happened for me before that I just checked on some random evening a few weeks after the fact, to find that GA tickets were available (and were then gone 5 minutes later after I made my purchase).

There will probably be almost double the amount of shows.  Which is why I am waiting.  Looking at the schedule they will likely play 4 at MSG alone.  And like others have said, the fan community for U2 is incredible.  I got floor tickets for the tour opener at face value the week before the show because of how great the community is.  If you are willing to invest the time, you will get GA's.  

I just wish they would be honest about what they are doing.  Or, at a minimum, don;t spew non-sense to us like they actually give a shit about the "real" fans.  They don't.  They so very clearly don't.  They leverage us.

• Subscriber

I'

6 minutes ago, Rich T. said:

It would be interesting to know the repeat rate, but I'd guess less than half of fan club members do both nights.

I'll qualify that by saying that definitely if you are traveling any considerable distance you are definitely doing night 2 (and maybe 3 and 4) and anything in your hometown, if you are a die-hard (which, if you are in the fan club, is safe to say you are  - unless you're a tout) you are almost certain to do night 2 (assuming dates work).

• bigwave unfeatured this topic