Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

U2.com 2018 Subscription FAQ Thread

57 minutes ago, enriquediaz said:

This is their twitter account: @TicketmasterCA

(No idea about email.)

Thanks. When I first saw @TicketmasterCA I thought it was an email address.  Just realized it was a Twitter handle.  I really don't tweet, but now considering it so that I can have another way of finding out what's going on with tickets.

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I agree.  I miss the days of getting my butt out of bed at 4 AM and standing in line at record stores so I could get good seats.  Not many are willing to do that in January in Wisconsin and the diehard fans got the seats.

yeah I remember queuing in 1987 for Glasgow tickets to go with my Edinburgh tickets and having an absolute ball with the folks around me, I didn't have to have a $40 membership for maybe a chance of tickets every few years and the guys in the queue were always up for a song and a laugh. The Good old days. 

With the volume of tickets they are selling you would expect a certain percentage of problems to occur and with a band where they have previous experience of a ticketing fiasco you would expect a little extra care to be taken to make sure that it didn't happen again. Yet in the case it would almost appear that the mix of their attempts to thwart the scalpers and the corporate tie-ins and album tie-ins have placed extra unnecessary pressure on the ticketing process. As a Scottish member hoping for some Scottish shows there was a definite lack of clarity about how we should go about it and how the ticketmaster tie-in would affect  fans outside North America which caused more hassle and unrest among fans. The Management team need to review this for next time.

(Sorry mate I removed a line here because I misunderstood the last part of your post, apologies.) 

Edited by Hoachy
  • Brilliant 1

1 hour ago, Hoachy said:

It is 12 years since we all received this from Larry, I am not sure that things sound that much better for a lot of people in this presale. From some posts it sounds as if the U2.com membership has been useless in securing tickets for them and has failed to address the problems Larry highlighted below in 2005. I know U2 care about their fans but when you eventually create something so complex, corporate and complicated to "protect" fans from scalpers then it may be time to go back and think up the ticketing process all over again.

"This is not something that I would normally do, but I feel that I have to do something to redress this situation. There was a mess up in the way the tickets were distributed through U2.com for the Vertigo pre-sale. Some of it was beyond our control, but some of it wasn’t. I am now in the process of figuring out a way of distributing the tickets for our intended return to North America in the fall. The only fair way of doing this, is to give U2 Propaganda members, who are now U2.com members, priority in the queue. After that, people will be given priority in the order in which they joined. Many people who joined U2.com and didn’t get tickets are understandably angry. They now have the option to get a full refund of their subscription fee. The idea that our long-time U2 fans and scalpers competed for U2 tickets through our own website is appalling to me. I want to apologise to you who have suffered that. If your U2.com pre-sale experience has left you disappointed, I hope this will go some way towards reassuring you of our total commitment to our audience. Slainte Larry. 

By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour, I’ve only got two words for you…"

I remember this well - Unfortunately - a new website and platform were built for the 360 tour and if you look at the date you have been a member since, I believe it only goes back as far as that new site date which was 2009. I know mine says 2009 and I have been a member since like 2001. So seniority will now work up to a point - but not prior to that date - I agree - this is the only way it should be done. And in no way should you be able to sign up for a membership the day before a presale and get a code - even if it is delayed one day! The site and TM have promoted this the last 2 tours and that is just a money grab.

1 hour ago, Turkued said:

Same here. That happened to me several times and was absolutely frustrating. This TM interface really stinks.

This happened to me yesterday as well, three times!!! Still ticketless!! 

3 hours ago, Zoonation76 said:

There will probably be almost double the amount of shows.  Which is why I am waiting.  Looking at the schedule they will likely play 4 at MSG alone.  And like others have said, the fan community for U2 is incredible.  I got floor tickets for the tour opener at face value the week before the show because of how great the community is.  If you are willing to invest the time, you will get GA's.  

I just wish they would be honest about what they are doing.  Or, at a minimum, don;t spew non-sense to us like they actually give a shit about the "real" fans.  They don't.  They so very clearly don't.  They leverage us.

Agreed.  It's like you wrote in another comment:  they might as well sell die-hards the crappy seats, because the other seats/GA will sell themselves to the general public.  Don't fall for that trap.  There is always a way.

13 minutes ago, Rich T. said:

Agreed.  It's like you wrote in another comment:  they might as well sell die-hards the crappy seats, because the other seats/GA will sell themselves to the general public.  Don't fall for that trap.  There is always a way.

That's reassuring. I'll keep the faith. Hoping the add a 2nd to San Jose.

1 minute ago, 504jumper said:

That's reassuring. I'll keep the faith. Hoping the add a 2nd to San Jose.

I'll be amazed if they don't.  But even for the May 7 date, they will release more GA tickets (maybe even on the day of show), and if you show up in the morning at the venue, some U2 fan will have an extra ticket.  It "never" fails.

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I agree.  I miss the days of getting my butt out of bed at 4 AM and standing in line at record stores so I could get good seats.  Not many are willing to do that in January in Wisconsin and the diehard fans got the seats.

Good post.  I remember camping out for Zoo TV with my sister at World Music Theatre in Tinley Park, suburb if IL since they didn't play SF that tour.  Was great slept outside, got good seats.  there was no GA then.  Now it's all digital and controllable.  Can you imagine what it will be like when all money is digital, no cash lol.  This is nothing compared to what's coming.  But yeah those were the days!

2 hours ago, jimbull said:

I bet the band does not know of the problems that everyone is having.... The press needs  to get on this.

Bono's an investor in shopping malls in tinbuktu financed with money he is sheltering from tax (his choice) in Malta, and you think he doesn't know that his touring company is rigging the system to maximize profit?  

I've got some swamp land to sell ya...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rich T. said:

I'll be amazed if they don't.  But even for the May 7 date, they will release more GA tickets (maybe even on the day of show), and if you show up in the morning at the venue, some U2 fan will have an extra ticket.  It "never" fails.

Good to know. I'm going to need 2 (one for the lady) and I'm hoping it doesn't come down to the day of.  GA tickets are an all-day affair.  The last time I did them in San Jose was Vertigo '05 and I got there in the morning to secure a bracelet.  Not sure how GAs are handled at SJ now, but I'd like to lock them up before so that I can schedule the time off (and the lady, too).  GAs always require a little prep-work.

But this is good stuff, Rich T, thanks, man.  BTW, my name is Rich, too.