Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

U2.com 2018 Subscription FAQ Thread

1 hour ago, Rich T. said:

Agreed.  It's like you wrote in another comment:  they might as well sell die-hards the crappy seats, because the other seats/GA will sell themselves to the general public.  Don't fall for that trap.  There is always a way.

Agreed.  Most of us are travelling to go to the show anyway and should be relatively flexible given the dates are 7 months+ away.  The key is to be patient and wait for the added shows.  given all the uproar, maybe they throw the diehard fans a bone and open up even half as many GA's as they did for Citi ;)  I want red zone tickets (old, don't like to wait in lines) and those seem way harder to get this time around.  we'll see.

God himself couldn't convince me that this whole thing wasn't completely deliberate though.  Like I said, leveraging diehards is the easiest way to hedge your bets out fo the gate when booking a new tour.  And that is exactly what they did.  Charged us to do it too.  I suspect the tickets get allocated like this after tour announced:

1.  announce about 50% of the shows you plan on doing if you have the demand pegged right.

2.  Immediately make deal with secondary markets.  Spread the risk.  Let them try and gauge demand and price the tickets to maximize profit.  Give them a bunch of awesome seats though.  They deserve it!

3.  Set aside the best seats for the rich people who can't be bothered and will pay $650 for a crap buffet and cheap wine to go along with their souvenir lanyard.  Most won't show up for it anyway.   The "Platinum Package"!  lol

4.  Stir up the diehard fan base.  Con them (that's right, I said "con") into thinking that they will have early access to good tickets if they shell out another $50 for the fan club.

5.  Do the diehard pre-sale first.  Only make available the tickets that occupy the promoter's sweet spot (weak tickets at maximum prices).  These are your second deckers on the side in the 10th row + or your back of the arena lower deckers for $325 that only a rich person or an idiot would buy.  Many diehards will bite though.  Exploit the fuck out of that.

6.  have a second presale with your corporate bed buddies.  Bought and paid for.  Second hedge here.  Give them (Citi) lots of tickets as these are more casual fans.  4 tickets for these people instead of the 2 for the diehards.  Way better access to cheap floor tickets too.  These people aren't paying $325 for crap tickets.  Are you kidding me?  Sell, sell, sell! 

7.  General sale.  Time to start really turning a profit.  Release a small amount of tickets that haven't already been addressed in points 1-6.  Well, except for point 4.  release those.  they are overpriced shitty tickets anyway.  some people will buy them!  Make it difficult enough to get good tickets that it stirs up demand and people start talking.  Hopefully funnel people to the platinum roast beef dinner and barely drinkable wine tickets.

8.  Add shows.  people are talking.  Repeat steps 1 -7 for those.  Maybe throw the diehards a bone on the added shows, but maybe not if demand is through the roof.  they will find a way to get to the show anyway...

9.  As show draws closer both the promoter and the secondary market start dropping prices to close the delta.  Bigger risk here for the secondary market.  Osery and co. already made their money on that block of tickets before one was sold to the public.  And, Osery and Co only really have to get rid of the seat/roast chicken/all-the-StellaArtois-you-can-drink tickets.  Those will be dropped in price right up until showtime.  (see: Arcade Fire)

Anyway, this is business.  I get it.  But don't piss on our leg and tell us it is raining.  It is really distasteful to pretend you care about the fans, when all you really care about is drinking that '86 Chateau Petrus next summer on whatever Yacht you and Bono stumble onto hungover (does Bono even get hungover?) after partying the night away in his Castle in Eze.

Just sayin...

• Brilliant 1

54 minutes ago, 504jumper said:

Good to know. I'm going to need 2 (one for the lady) and I'm hoping it doesn't come down to the day of.  GA tickets are an all-day affair.  The last time I did them in San Jose was Vertigo '05 and I got there in the morning to secure a bracelet.  Not sure how GAs are handled at SJ now, but I'd like to lock them up before so that I can schedule the time off (and the lady, too).  GAs always require a little prep-work.

But this is good stuff, Rich T, thanks, man.  BTW, my name is Rich, too.

From one Rich to another, I hope (and believe) you'll score your tickets.  I treat GA as an all-day affair as well, starting at 8:00 AM.  There are a few total fan(atics) who get there the night before, but it doesn't actually improve any outcomes for where you end up standing against the catwalk.  If you get there in the AM,  to get the bracelet or stamp, then you can be right up against the catwalk for the show.  In 2015 in San Jose they let you come back at 5:00 PM for entry into the arena, but it's worth heading around to the back around 1:00 PM to see if the "lads" come out to shake hands and sign things.

33 minutes ago, Zoonation76 said:

Agreed.  Most of us are travelling to go to the show anyway and should be relatively flexible given the dates are 7 months+ away.  The key is to be patient and wait for the added shows.  given all the uproar, maybe they throw the diehard fans a bone and open up even half as many GA's as they did for Citi ;)  I want red zone tickets (old, don't like to wait in lines) and those seem way harder to get this time around.  we'll see.

God himself couldn't convince me that this whole thing wasn't completely deliberate though.  Like I said, leveraging diehards is the easiest way to hedge your bets out fo the gate when booking a new tour.  And that is exactly what they did.  Charged us to do it too.  I suspect the tickets get allocated like this after tour announced:

1.  announce about 50% of the shows you plan on doing if you have the demand pegged right.

2.  Immediately make deal with secondary markets.  Spread the risk.  Let them try and gauge demand and price the tickets to maximize profit.  Give them a bunch of awesome seats though.  They deserve it!

3.  Set aside the best seats for the rich people who can't be bothered and will pay $650 for a crap buffet and cheap wine to go along with their souvenir lanyard.  Most won't show up for it anyway.   The "Platinum Package"!  lol

4.  Stir up the diehard fan base.  Con them (that's right, I said "con") into thinking that they will have early access to good tickets if they shell out another $50 for the fan club.

5.  Do the diehard pre-sale first.  Only make available the tickets that occupy the promoter's sweet spot (weak tickets at maximum prices).  These are your second deckers on the side in the 10th row + or your back of the arena lower deckers for $325 that only a rich person or an idiot would buy.  Many diehards will bite though.  Exploit the fuck out of that.

6.  have a second presale with your corporate bed buddies.  Bought and paid for.  Second hedge here.  Give them (Citi) lots of tickets as these are more casual fans.  4 tickets for these people instead of the 2 for the diehards.  Way better access to cheap floor tickets too.  These people aren't paying $325 for crap tickets.  Are you kidding me?  Sell, sell, sell! 

7.  General sale.  Time to start really turning a profit.  Release a small amount of tickets that haven't already been addressed in points 1-6.  Well, except for point 4.  release those.  they are overpriced shitty tickets anyway.  some people will buy them!  Make it difficult enough to get good tickets that it stirs up demand and people start talking.  Hopefully funnel people to the platinum roast beef dinner and barely drinkable wine tickets.

8.  Add shows.  people are talking.  Repeat steps 1 -7 for those.  Maybe throw the diehards a bone on the added shows, but maybe not if demand is through the roof.  they will find a way to get to the show anyway...

9.  As show draws closer both the promoter and the secondary market start dropping prices to close the delta.  Bigger risk here for the secondary market.  Osery and co. already made their money on that block of tickets before one was sold to the public.  And, Osery and Co only really have to get rid of the seat/roast chicken/all-the-StellaArtois-you-can-drink tickets.  Those will be dropped in price right up until showtime.  (see: Arcade Fire)

Anyway, this is business.  I get it.  But don't piss on our leg and tell us it is raining.  It is really distasteful to pretend you care about the fans, when all you really care about is drinking that '86 Chateau Petrus next summer on whatever Yacht you and Bono stumble onto hungover (does Bono even get hungover?) after partying the night away in his Castle in Eze.

Just sayin...

I think you've got it pretty much figured out.  Our job as fans is to explore every avenue to get the seats we actually want, by using patience and cunning, unless we are part of the fortunate ones (like I was this time) to actually get 2 GA tickets in return for the extra $40.

22 hours ago, edge2u said:

I understand what you’re getting at, but the reality is that tickets are still available in the presales for the limited shows announced so far.  The initial shows of each city should always favor the Experienced group.  The sad fact is that there are Innoncence members out there who became a member in the last few minutes before registration closed that have presale tickets while Propaganda-era Experienced members did not even get a code.  Damn, not even a code.  Think about that.  Forget about getting the tickets with the code.  They didn’t even get a code.  Wow.  Just wow.  

Please don’t assume that just because someone is in Innocence group they just signed up right before registration. Of course first dibs should go to people who didn’t have a lapse - but sometimes it happens. My annual renewal is in December so my lapse was only a few days. I’ve accepted the penalty of being in Innocence group for three tours now. In each of these instances, tickets were available on resale sites before Innocence presale even opened. That means there are some people in the first group who are buying and selling. Is it fair that a scalper who doesn’t let his membership lapse can buy tix before a fan in Innocence has the chance to buy? Nope - but how do you stop that? It’s never going to be perfect because there will be true fans caught up in the fray. But I’ll submit that there may be some folks in both groups (who are probably not commenting) that have an idea of why they weren’t sent codes. Important that the holes be fixed that resulted in  true fans not getting codes so this doesn’t happen again. I am curious how so many people get GA tix for many shows in a tour, if they are sold out during presale and the limit is 2 or 4? I’ve accepted that I get one good show and general public choice for the rest - I’m clearly doing something wrong. 

To me, one of the best solutions would be to cancel any tickets that show up on Stubhub at inflated prices or whatever without any refund. Seems like a pretty easy solution to me.

46 minutes ago, Rich T. said:

From one Rich to another, I hope (and believe) you'll score your tickets.  I treat GA as an all-day affair as well, starting at 8:00 AM.  There are a few total fan(atics) who get there the night before, but it doesn't actually improve any outcomes for where you end up standing against the catwalk.  If you get there in the AM,  to get the bracelet or stamp, then you can be right up against the catwalk for the show.  In 2015 in San Jose they let you come back at 5:00 PM for entry into the arena, but it's worth heading around to the back around 1:00 PM to see if the "lads" come out to shake hands and sign things.

Much appreciated. I'm really the only die-hard in my group, so am usually the one who has to press my group to make it an all-day affair. They're awesome and usually come through, so I show my gratuity by buying food/drinks. This time around, it'll just be me and the lady so she'll be cool.

I did both nights in '15, but we had Reserved Seats. Was right outside the ellipse (i.e. Bomb Shelter) at the 4:00 position and Bono set up his drum right in front of us during Vertigo '05. Watching him bang on it like a jungle savage during (Love & Peace, I think) was an awesome thing. Got lucky and did get Larry and Adam to sign my ticket during Elevation '01 before the show. All these shows were at the Shark Tank (it's changed names so many time).

Anyway, keepin' the faith, bro. Keepin' the faith.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TChubb said:

Please don’t assume that just because someone is in Innocence group they just signed up right before registration. Of course first dibs should go to people who didn’t have a lapse - but sometimes it happens. My annual renewal is in December so my lapse was only a few days. I’ve accepted the penalty of being in Innocence group for three tours now. In each of these instances, tickets were available on resale sites before Innocence presale even opened. That means there are some people in the first group who are buying and selling. Is it fair that a scalper who doesn’t let his membership lapse can buy tix before a fan in Innocence has the chance to buy? Nope - but how do you stop that? It’s never going to be perfect because there will be true fans caught up in the fray. But I’ll submit that there may be some folks in both groups (who are probably not commenting) that have an idea of why they weren’t sent codes. Important that the holes be fixed that resulted in  true fans not getting codes so this doesn’t happen again. I am curious how so many people get GA tix for many shows in a tour, if they are sold out during presale and the limit is 2 or 4? I’ve accepted that I get one good show and general public choice for the rest - I’m clearly doing something wrong. 

It’s not the “experience” group that is selling before you have acces in the “innocence” group.  Those tickets were sold to secondary sites before any ticket was made available to the public.  I’d bet my mortgage on it.  

• Brilliant 1

6 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Why someone is entitled to a pesale because they have a credit card is beyond my comprehension.  Citibank has presales for most shows in America.

No offense is intended to anyone who has a Citibank card and got in on the presale.  I just think it's unfair to people who have less.

Citibank is a sponsor - which means they’re underwriting costs that they’ll recoup in terms of exposure and advertisement. And, new cardholders (I’m sure more than a few people signed up for a card just to get access to presale.). Would it be more tolerable if the sponsor was say, Costco? 2 tix for fan presale is likely designed to give more fans the opportunity to get tickets during presale. People in 2nd group have been complaining for years about all good presale tix being gone the first day. Cutting that in half, means twice as many fans get a chance. 

7 minutes ago, TChubb said:

Citibank is a sponsor - which means they’re underwriting costs that they’ll recoup in terms of exposure and advertisement. And, new cardholders (I’m sure more than a few people signed up for a card just to get access to presale.). Would it be more tolerable if the sponsor was say, Costco? 2 tix for fan presale is likely designed to give more fans the opportunity to get tickets during presale. People in 2nd group have been complaining for years about all good presale tix being gone the first day. Cutting that in half, means twice as many fans get a chance. 

Not a compelling argument, if your premise is that the fan’s interest is informing the decisions being made on how pre-general sale tickets are being allocated.