U2.com 2018 Subscription FAQ Thread

• Subscriber

It's not rare but it is a bit pricey, and from what I've seen in record shops and fairs very rare in good condition. There are HQ lossless rips doing the rounds, but speaking as a collector, I'd much rather a new copy of my own. The remixes themselves are excellent with unique vocal tracks and extra production compared to the edited releases on the singles. I'd agree with previous comments that some remixes fail to hit the mark, but there have, to be fair, been superb - and popular - remixes down the years. I'm very pleased with this I must say, and would be glad to join the queue if it was an RSD or Black Friday release. To have it land on the doorstep is cool as have most of the gifts, barring those bad businesses with the card-shaped metal keyring and the litho-wallpapery things. On a separate note CorkVegan, you'll know this I suppose, but Record Zone in Douglas has a great line on U2 vinyl. Costs me a fortune everytime I'm home! 

Edited by Anam
Notifications
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This part of the presale is for the North America leg - If you are outside this region but plan to attend any of these shows, please complete all the steps. For Europe, please wait until the proced

We are still working on this "Not Eligible email" issue... if you don't get any immediate answer to your PM, it doesn't mean we are doing nothing - there are many reports about this and they are arriv

...and today is a truly blessed day. After months of collective feedback-giving about the formats available to us for the annual gift, we have finally been heard. If you look in your account

Posted Images

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Anam said:

On a separate note CorkVegan, you'll know this I suppose, but Record Zone in Douglas has a great line on U2 vinyl. Costs me a fortune everytime I'm home! 

I'm based in the States these days Anam but I've transported my fair share of records across the Atlantic in carry on. I know the struggle. Still miss the days of flipping through the albums in Leeside music up on MacCurtain Street digging for treasure.

Love your username by the way. Wish I had thought if it.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, CorkVegan said:

I'm based in the States these days Anam but I've transported my fair share of records across the Atlantic in carry on. I know the struggle. Still miss the days of flipping through the albums in Leeside music up on MacCurtain Street digging for treasure.

Love your username by the way. Wish I had thought if it.

Thanks buddy. I've had that handle years now. Catchier than the real name!

MacCurtain Street was a home from home. Can trace nearly all my early U2 vinyl to Leeside, and every cassette bootleg to the place upstairs on Bridge St, over what became Vibes & Scribes. Happier times. I got my U23D dance mixes down the back of Crowleys I think. It's ropey now though. 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
5 hours ago, Anam said:

It's not rare but it is a bit pricey, and from what I've seen in record shops and fairs very rare in good condition. There are HQ lossless rips doing the rounds, but speaking as a collector, I'd much rather a new copy of my own. The remixes themselves are excellent with unique vocal tracks and extra production compared to the edited releases on the singles. I'd agree with previous comments that some remixes fail to hit the mark, but there have, to be fair, been superb - and popular - remixes down the years. I'm very pleased with this I must say, and would be glad to join the queue if it was an RSD or Black Friday release. To have it land on the doorstep is cool as have most of the gifts, barring those bad businesses with the card-shaped metal keyring and the litho-wallpapery things. On a separate note CorkVegan, you'll know this I suppose, but Record Zone in Douglas has a great line on U2 vinyl. Costs me a fortune everytime I'm home! 

Not to belabor the point, IMHO, this would have been an ideal RSD/Black Friday release. I kind of wish it had been done that way.

The songs collected for this gift, in and of themselves, are completely fine. Are they my favorite ever? No, but not every annual gift is going to please every person. Also, someone high in the U2 hierarchy seems to think there is unlimited desire for remixes among the U2 fanbase - I really wish they would revisit this opinion because I suspect, if they actually canvassed our opinions, they would be shocked to discover that we collectively want remixes less than they think.

Still, my objections to this release, and I know there are others who feel the same way, would immediately vanish if we were given the option of having a factory-pressed silver CD (which costs MUCH less to produce and to mail than new vinyl) - or, failing that, a CD-quality/lossless download so that we could burn our own CD with a CD-quality file. If you like vinyl, that's great - I'm very happy the vinyl is available for such fans. BUT, the rest of us who don't want vinyl pay exactly the same dues here as everyone else. We are equally deserving to be given the opportunity to be pleased with the annual gift. Having mp3s as the only other option doesn't do the trick - they are not the digital equivalent of vinyl. The last two vinyl releases only had the option of mp3 downloads - I don't want this one to be the third.

I hope you enjoy the vinyl.

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

Totally get that. I love the vinyl but one of the first things I'll do is get UHQ FLAC rips off the vinyl for the car. What I would say about the mp3s on u2.com is that they are proper 320kbps versions. I really struggle to determine any difference between 320 and 16-bit FLAC. But l'd always pick the lossless to be on the safe side. Hopefully u2.com will post the best available quality. 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

This is the frustration for me with the service...

" Ahead of physical delivery we’ll be offering all three tracks as digital downloads and we’ll email qualifying subscribers as they become available. "   This is on the announcement.  What does that mean?  How about you at least announce the gift and that day put up the link or send the link for the downloads.  Must we wait for everything?  Why not get the songs ready (from 30 years ago!) and then announce and send them the same day?

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Anam said:

Totally get that. I love the vinyl but one of the first things I'll do is get UHQ FLAC rips off the vinyl for the car. What I would say about the mp3s on u2.com is that they are proper 320kbps versions. I really struggle to determine any difference between 320 and 16-bit FLAC. But l'd always pick the lossless to be on the safe side. Hopefully u2.com will post the best available quality. 

Unfortunately, I am one of those who hears the difference as clear as day between mp3s and WAV/FLAC/any-other-format-far-less-compressed-than-mp3s. I don't listen to music exclusively on portable devices with earbuds; I can't imagine ever wanting to.

Yours is a really good plan to listen to the vinyl-quality music in the car. I think more people ought to employ it - to be honest, I don't think people know that they can...

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

I wont open it. I'll keep the cellophane on and it should increase in value quite rapidly......... That said, I have never sold any of my U2 collection.

It will be beautifully packaged, I'm sure, but of all the things they could have done, it's not to my taste.

The best remixes are the ones where it still sounds like an actual band; Lady With the Spinning Head and Electrical Storm spring to mind.

Many U2 'dance' mixes sound a bit cheesy to me.

I haven't listened to the Rattle&Hum mixes in many years, but I remember them with... indifference.

A Joshua Tree 2018 gig on DVD, CD or even vinyl would have been perfectly acceptable to me - the latter with a download of course.

The entire Rattle&Hum Denver (indoor, black and white) or Tempe (outdoor, colour) gigs on DVD, CD or vinyl would have been cracking too. 

The more I think about it, the complete Denver show in black and white would have been f***ing awesome (I haven't seen much of the indoor Joshua Tree).

Even an audio of the Rattle&Hum movie would have been acceptable - especially since it features the best ever versions of With Or Without You and Sunday Bloody Sunday.

• Subscriber
On 4/10/2018 at 5:01 PM, dmway said:

Well here is is:

http://www.u2.com/news/title/u2-3-d-dance-mixes

My disappointment in this offer is profound and multi-faceted - so much so I don't even want to expound on it right now...

I'm with you. I mean, I'll take it. I love vinyl. But I'm not gonna lie... after all the arguments that POP didn't get a proper celebration in 2017 because it wasn't "popular" this is kind of mindnumbing.

U2 once again blatantly ignoring anything that came between Achtung Baby and ATYCLB. Yes, I know they re-released the vinyl, but I would have expected something more from an album and tour that was a massive endeavor (and actually did quite well despite the FlopMart nonsense). I would imagine there are a lot of U2 fans who aren't quite as deep into the POP years and would be floored by some of what that experience was. I was 17 when that whole thing was happening. Just an insane and fun period.

• Like 1
  • bigwave unfeatured this topic