Sign in to follow this  
svoot

Will there be Additional Tour Dates in US (2018)

I'm going to guess that there will be no additional cities added on the current legs, but that additional dates will be added at existing cities.  There may be a chance to add an extra city that falls along the route later on, especially if one of the cities doesn't sell enough to justify adding an extra show.  (For instance, on the 2015 tour, I think Denver was able to be added because there wasn't demand to add all of the Los Angeles dates they had expected to add.)  So I'd say maybe one or two extra cities could appear, but it's not likely to be a lot.

I think it's more likely that the band will play the spring and early summer in the U.S., go to Europe for the rest of the summer, and then return to the U.S. for the late fall.  That's typically how U2 area tours are routed through the U.S... that was their plan for the 2005 Vertigo tour and the 2001 Elevation tour.  Historically speaking, the I&E tour routing was unusual for U2, and Bono's injury may have contributed to a delayed start, leading to a delayed ending and a lack of additional legs.  I also think that the band genuinely believed when first booking the I&E tour that they'd have the new album out at the end of the year (2015), and then they'd be back the following year (2016) for additional dates.  Obviously the album took longer than expected, which delayed the return to the tour.  It's unlike U2 to return to the same staging they had used two tours ago, so I have to believe the original idea was for these dates were that they would immediately follow 2015.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, buceoman said:

U2 have always had a good relationship with Toronto. As far as I know- they have never bypassed Toronto on any tour so why would they start now? There will definitely be at least one show, more than likely two, in Toronto. I’m gonna save my presale code for that announcement.

Bold move, buceoman.  You may be right, but what if you're not?  Montreal isn't that far away, and a great place to visit even without U2.

On 11/1/2017 at 3:30 PM, svoot said:

Saw the initial list of tour dates for the US, but was wondering if there would be additional cities listed. Wondering in case I wanted to wait to see if there would be a closer location to where I live on this upcoming tour to use my presale code on. Thoughts by anyone?

They will absolutely, positively add a bunch of dates--especially the day after currently scheduled shows in major markets (e.g., Chicago, NYC, etc.).  Regarding adding completely new cities, they do that occasionally--look for big "gaps" in the currently scheduled shows.  But, who knows where those would be.

Yeah, I looked at holding out a possibility that cities would be added closer to me, but after thinking it over some I prob going to the closest to me which would be Tulsa!! Never made it to a tour opener so I think this will be a great time to do so!

Really hoping they add a Phoenix date. There are some gaps in the schedule around LA and Vegas. Phoenix wasn't added until really late for JT tour. U2 definitely sold out two shows here for I&E.

Wondering if I should make an attempt at LA public sale? Could always sell them back if a Phoenix date opened.

On 11/2/2017 at 7:38 PM, BillHenderson said:

I too am surprised at limited Canadian dates.  I guess they're done rehearsing in Vancouver (although Bono caught in a rain storm may not find hitch hiking as easy in other cities....but fewer rain storms in other cities!).  Montreal should have had a JT show, but it was always intended to be a short tour.  This is a tour for a new album and the follow up to Songs of Innocence.  They did two shows in Toronto for that one, and one in Hamilton.  Back into arena venues I'd have expected more stops.  JT sold out fast in stadiums.  This one will be super fast.  Hopefully the new ticket master approach give us a better shot at good ticks, but with ticket master, I'll believe it when I see it!

JT sold out fast in some stadiums!  :)

Waiting for Toronto or Buffalo shows to be added.  Will save presale codes until then.

30 minutes ago, curt_crader said:

I'll start the rumor ... lol.  May 18th in Seattle and June 2nd in either Jacksonville or Orlando

Curt, We're holding June 2nd for Toronto.  You can't have it!  :D