Sign in to follow this  
jreed

U2 has one album left in them after Experience

21 hours ago, yardie said:

Last tour (ex JT 30) on Songs of Innocence, the band were, to echo Manolive, in great form. There is such a rich vein of doom n gloom that surround those that no longer see U2 as 'relevant'. They remain very relevant as is evident in ticket sales etc etc - yeah, remember them - that's people still wanting to see them , buying tickets!

My favourite show was once such n such, but it was very definitely seeing them live indoors in Belfast (2015) - not because it was, for the first time in a very long time, close to home - but because they were very good live - and remained so this year as they toured JT.

Nobody goes on forever though, hard fact to take for us all if we dwell too long - but we're blessed that we have had these 4 guys for so long. That's special, and very endearing. You feel, or at least I do, that you've grown up with them even though I don't actually know them personally.

Let's just go along with whatever. Nothing lasts forever.

I knew I wasn't the only one, yardie.

On 11/1/2017 at 3:03 PM, jreed said:

I believe U2 is greatest band in the world.  I haven't seen or heard a better band in my lifetime and I don't think I ever will.

Respect to jreed for the above.

The Stones let themselves get larger than life and sank.  They defined a major part of rock and roll  They lived it to the hilt and became caricatures. The Beatles could not play live shows yet still put out Sgt. Pepper's and other greatest albums of all time.  They disbanded and then each made his mark as a solo artist.

Bruce Springsteen is still doing it.  Some may criticize his being on Broadway, but I think he earned it by being who he is and remaining true to it. (I say that humbly.)

U2 seem to be the same band they always have been as well. (Again, said humbly.)   My hope, and belief, is that they will evolve as time progresses. 

I think we've at least a few more peaks to their chain.  They are the band that sang, and still sings, "Gloria In Excelsis.".  They also ask, "How long?"  For me, that is sacred.  U2 is special.

God bless the Irish.

• Like 2

I don’t think anyone can shut Bono up and I’m sure they have tons of unreleased music for the future.  Songs of Ascent may have already been completed. 

Anyways you may be right, but I sure hope not.

On 02/11/2017 at 4:03 AM, jreed said:

Disclaimer: I believe U2 is greatest band in the world.  I haven't seen or heard a better band in my lifetime and I don't think I ever will.  Also, I'm a paying fan club member and own almost everything they've ever released.  If I don't have a physical copy of it, I'm sure I have it digitally.

I believe U2 will release one more album after Experience and call it day.  I'm thinking it's just a matter of time, I think they know they have nothing more to prove.  Quite frankly, I hope they do what R.E.M. did.  Put out one last amazing album and then call it a day.  Everybody shakes hands and goes home.  I also don't believe that the band can keep up the current touring pace at their age.  A U2 tour lasts anywhere from 2 to 3 years.  In my opinion, the I+E tour has never actually stopped.  I would go so far as to say that The Joshua Tree 2017 tour was part of it.  I would also argue that the stadium shows that were done were supposed to be I+E shows.  Do I want them to retire?  Selfishly, yes!  There is a quality U2 possesses that no other band possesses, that goes for The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Oasis, Nirvana, and anyone else you want to add.  That quality is nobility.  Their music is noble and when it's played or heard, it reaches out for the very best of everyone of us.  That just doesn't exist anymore.  I don't want this band to go the way of the Stones.  I love the Stones, but those guys look a little ridiculous these days.  I just don't want to see Bono and The Edge trying to run around the stage at the age of 70.  I'd be afraid it'd cheapen their music somehow, and knowing how the general public hates a sell out, it would look as though they have gone that route.  Finally, Bono keeps referring to this "brush with his own mortality" recently, which I don't know if you've been keeping score at home, that makes three times recently that Bono has almost met a fatal end.  If it was bad then, then that has to have some effect on his body, and I'm not a fan of the idea of Bono collapsing and dying on stage.  Some of you will wholeheartedly disagree with me and I welcome that.  I'd love to hear another perspective.  Thanks for taking a second to read this crazy ramble.  I hope you're all well in the U2niverse!

I'm a few months late to this thread, so sorry for that. 

firstly I can't believe you included Oasis & Nirvana in your list of great bands. sadly Nirvana weren't around long enough to develop like Pearl Jam did, they have 3 albums? Oasis, I know of their first two albums but they really aren't up there with the like of The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin... Pearl Jam are ok but I think MetallicA deserve a spot in bands that have lasted a long time and delivered great music over several decades. I wouldn't like to see U2 at 70 and I don't think we will but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves. right now  U2 are turning 58 or 57 this year. I saw David BOWIE like when he was 57 and he was fantastic! this was before his heart scare. even though he didn't tour again after the REALITY tour Bowie released 2 more albums. 2013's 'The Next Day' and 2016's 'Blackstar' both of which are great albums. 

I think U2 can make music for as long as they want. touring, I think they'll be fine for a few more years. these brushes with mortality that Bono has had. it's a part of life. I've had one myself. we all are going to die one day.

when David BOWIE passed away I wasn't ready for it... it hit me like a brick. I was like 'a music world without BOWIE in it... this sucks!Cry.gif.58ade9145057452e253ad825558a34d0.gif < that was me for 5 minutes after finding out the sad news.

your post is similar to ones I've seen on MetallicA's forum. though they are a couple of years younger, MetallicA get a real physical workout onstage (I'd say more so than U2) fans are wondering how long can they keep this up live?? with U2 & MetallicA I don't think they will ever stop making music... it's just in their blood. when they get in their early to mid 60's I think we may see a slow down, more so than what we see now. but hey, every band and musician is different. who knows? :Zoo_Car:

Edited by BigBunny
speeling misteaks
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2017 at 11:08 PM, inztantkarma said:

Right now I think us hardcore fans need to take a step back for a second and remember why we are actually even here in the first place. Throw on a record on, turn it up and get lost in it again. Let The Fly rattle the windows. Get drunk and belt out One. Get even drunker and croon With or Without You whilst kicking out an imaginary microphone stand Rattle and Hum style. Nothing is guaranteed, there is no entitlement - but there are a shit load of tunes to fall back on.

Yep, I updated my profile and I couldn’t decide on a favorite song, or “single” (what’s the difference?).... that’s troubling to me.  Am I a hardcore fan or not?!  If I dish out all this money to go to these concerts I ought to have several favorites...

I think that I should listen to a lot of them and come up with many, many favorites and one supreme favorite.

I think that I should avoid the “getting drunk” part, though.  Too many calories and I need to fit into my ei concert t-shirt by May 22 Chicago show...plus alcohol does funny things to me...

You NEVER know what U2 are capable of pulling out of the hat.  They are on an upward curve again with their last couple of albums and the next one could be another classic.

I hope they don't retire yet, I'm the same age as most of the band and I would like to thing the energy is still there for touring.

• Like 1

I hope they pull good songs out of that hat.  IE and SOE are weak and so generic.  Please give us one more classic and retire.  Best go out on top.

• Like 1

I think this has been interpreted in two ways, whether the band can physically do it or creatively do it.

I think physically they could keep playing live for a few more years without a problem, as musicians I don't think they would slow down. With the exception of Larry the show isn't that physical for them as say Metallica as mentioned earlier. How Bonos voice and presence will hold up over the next few years though remains to be seen and that will just come down to age same as it would for anyone. They famously said the only way out of U2 is in a box so I don't think they intend to stop anytime soon, there are financial gains to be made remaining active but I don't think that would solely motivate them.

Creatively I think that is really hard to predict, every U2 album is a leap off the edge (no pun intended) for everyone and I think it really can go either way these days. I don't think I'll ever abandon them but I do find myself wincing a bit more listening to some of newer songs and Bono's soundbites. A friend of mine, another huge fan,  were talking about it recently and I said I think U2 have entered their second Rattle & Hum phase, the huge rockstar mega band, collaborating with other 'influential' artists or trying too hard to find a new audience if you will when the old one is perfectly happy and can easily sustain them.

U2 look more like rockstars now then ever, leather jackets and trousers, studded belts and playing music like it, almost an old band trying to sound young, whereas if you look at TUF, JT or AB it sounds like a young band sounding wiser than their years. 

I personally think they have more in them musically but I think they need to almost pair things back and do it for themselves. Just being a band without trying to be the world's band.

But it is hard to imagine them not being around though and for all the flack they get, especially here at home, people won't realise how important they were until they aren't around anymore.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, berrigan2101 said:

I personally think they have more in them musically but I think they need to almost pair things back and do it for themselves. Just being a band without trying to be the world's band.

I think that is very well said and very true.  How do you think they could do that? 

Edited by Manohlive

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I think that is very well said and very true.  How do you think they could do that? 

One studio, one producer, no overcooking it, no big social/political statement and no talk until a release date is confirmed. I think there has been too much talk of music and not enough music (I'd still love to hear the Rick Rubin material) which raises albums up to ridiculous expectations and pressure (commercially and artistically) that no band can live up, even the mighty U2.

They could release The Joshua Tree tomorrow and it wouldn't sell 20 million copies simply because that musical economy doesn't exist anymore, nothing to do with the quality of the music itself so they could start by removing that burden of a 'big' release. It would probably be panned too because it will have been talked about for three years without us hearing a note and by the time the music arrives the media can be a bit U2-d out. The bands celebrity entity can surpass the music at times and people are almost conditioned to hate them as a result. The NME and the Guardian simply won't write a good word about them, the album reviews were practically written in advance if you ask me.

I think if they said, here is our new album, some will like it, some won't and that's ok because we know people are still with us. 

I trust them to make the music after that.

Edited by berrigan2101
grammar