Sign in to follow this  
jreed

U2 has one album left in them after Experience

They should do a Beatles and go out with a swan song that was Abbey Road or The Doors LA Woman album a perfect end to there careers. My first thought was perhaps teaming up with Eno and Lanois again to create there best album since The Joshua Tree but can they really make it work together again after what happened with No Line On The Horizon?

2 hours ago, realgonekid said:

They should do a Beatles and go out with a swan song that was Abbey Road or The Doors LA Woman album a perfect end to there careers. My first thought was perhaps teaming up with Eno and Lanois again to create there best album since The Joshua Tree but can they really make it work together again after what happened with No Line On The Horizon?

What exactly happened?  They made an experimental album that didn't sell as well as their more mainstream work.  That doesn't exactly sound like the end of the world to me.  It just sounds like it wasn't their most successful work.

8 hours ago, vertigojds said:

What exactly happened?  They made an experimental album that didn't sell as well as their more mainstream work.  That doesn't exactly sound like the end of the world to me.  It just sounds like it wasn't their most successful work.

I concur.  I love No Line On the Horizon.  I'm not crazy about Boots.  There are still a lot of songs I listen to, often on a daily basis, off No Line.  It's interesting how one person sees it one way and another hears it the other.  Cedars and White as Snow are two of my favorite U2 songs.  Breathe kicks serious ass.  Moment of Surrender...not even gonna touch how great that song is.

8 hours ago, vertigojds said:

They should do a Beatles and go out with a swan song that was Abbey Road or The Doors LA Woman album

This is not to argue your opinion:  If the Beatles went out with Abbey Road, we'd have no Let It Be.  The Doors ended with LA Woman because Jim Morrison died.  I'm not sure that would have been their last album had he not.  I remember hearing where they got hold of him and told him how well the album was doing, etc. He had sheltered his self in Paris by then. It did not seem like it was their last album, from what Ray Manzarek said, but JM was gone shortly after that.  I agree that LA Woman is a phenomenol album.  I still love playing The Cars Hiss By My Window on the guitar.  It's a lot of fun mixing up the dynamics and the riff is not that difficult.  I thought I was the coolest person on this Earth when I figured it out in 1980.  Where did the last 38 years go and how did they pass by so quickly?  Thanks to my parents for letting me turn my music up to 11.

Edited by Manohlive

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:02 PM, Manohlive said:

How has it been determined that they are at their highest peak?  People said that with The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby and Zooropa, yet look at what they've done since. They said this band was dead with the 'flop' of Pop, yet it's many Zootopians favorite U2 album. (it's one of my faves) No offense, 504jumper; I'm not addressing you in particular.   How do any of us know this band is at their artistic peak?  I measure them by their music.  I think they just released some of their best.  That's just my opinion.

One could argue that the Beatle's peaked with Sgt. Pepper's, yet look at all the great music they put out after that album.  I don't like this, 'They should hang it up.', attitude.  They're gonna do whatever they are gonna do as they deem fit, or so it seems to this fan.  I'll be with them all the way.  They are great musicians, songwriters and one of the best bands in the history of rock and roll.  Why are we discussing their end?  I don't understand this thread.  I'm not knocking anyone expressing their opinion, but why are we discussing the  finality of something so awesome and in the middle of yet another triumph?  They'll be time enough to discuss this after the fact. Some of us will be dust when that happens.  If we want to discuss the end, why not address THE end.  We're all gonna die.  So what? Why not enyoy what we have here and now?  None of us can say they are at their peak.  Only they can determine that.  They show no sign of fading away anytime soon. If anything, they've amped it up with SOE. This thread has bothered me since its inception.  No offense to whomever started it.  My dog is 17 years old.  I don't dwell on him dying.  I thank God for every day I have with him right now.  Does one pass a rose and not enjoy the wafting of its perfume because it's only going to wilt one day?  Perhaps I'm missing something or misunderstanding this thread.  I don't like discussing the end whilst in the middle of something great.     this is harsh but just my opinion...no shade intended.

Manohlive, I believe that determination is defined by the individual and collectively as fans. But as fans, each of us will feel that certain albums were their best and others less than their best. I measure them by their music, too. The sheer totality of their creations are simply staggering and deserving of the highest praise.

And I agree that "they're gonna do whatever they are gonna do as they seem fit". I--as well as the rest on this thread--were commenting on that the OP wrote. I think discussion was started given the recent news about Bono's health scare (and I still don't know what that was) and the fact that road ahead is much shorter than the road behind. I think the discussion of their end is not necessarily their death (of any band member) but their retirement.

Now I believe that none of us wants to see that day come. And I agree, that it would be their decision alone and I wouldn't have it any other way. However, as our beloved boys from Dublin age, it's natural to think about how much longer they will go. If that discussion should not happen here, I don't know where it could happen. If one were to say, "it should not happen at all", I'd respectfully reply, "why not?". It can be troublesome for some of us here--myself included--but in end, we're just talking.

As I've gotten older, I've thought about my own end more than ever before. Granted I don't dwell on it, either. I watch my friends and family members who are my generation, experience health issues and other life maladies (divorce, bankruptcy, death of a loved one, etc.). I lost my father to cancer at an early age (high school), so for me, I find myself thinking about endings more than most of my friends. I look at my mom--who's in her early 70s--and I wonder how much longer I will have her. It's a reminder for me to tell her how much I love her. I didn't do much of that with my dad, and I regret it.

Anyway, I think you make a great point in all of us focusing on what we have right now and how we should enjoy the band--in all of its awesomeness--while they are still here. I didn't take any shade from your post.

I'm totally looking for to Experience + Innocence 2018.

46 minutes ago, 504jumper said:

If one were to say, "it should not happen at all", I'd respectfully reply, "why not?". It can be troublesome for some of us here--myself included--but in end, we're just talking

I concur.  I was just talking as well.  Pardon me if what I wrote implies anyone should not express their opinion.  That is the exact opposite of who I am. I expressed my opinion.  I meant nothing else.  I'm glad you felt no shade.  In 1983, I was told I was going to die and should get my affairs in order.  I've been told the same thing three times since.  They were wrong. They told me I had AIDS before HIV was even discovered and before any blood test existed.  I did not.  They were wrong again. They told me I'd never get off all the medication I spent the past five years getting off of and they were wrong.  They told me I was addicted and they were wrong.  I claim no pupit.  Life has been challenging, as it is for all of us. I can only speak for myself when I say that if I spend time thinking about the fact that the end of whatever might come whenever...that time is lost speculating something which I cannot possibly know. That time spent pondering the unknown is lost to fear, where it could have been spent dancing and singing. For me, when the end of something I love happens; if it is a good thing it will reemerge at a different time on a different plane. It will be even more awesome, and that's just the beginning of forever.  That does not mean other people see it differently.  

I never intended to squash anyone's opinions or feelings or thoughts.  If I did so, you have my humble apology.

I lost my father early too.  Death sucks for those who remain.. I believe in a better place. If U2 must end then I want to go wherever the music goes because it's what has kept me going when they told me I was finished.         (that is my experience and it's only my opinion, ableit emphatically stated.)    

Edited by Manohlive

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I concur.  I was just talking as well.  Pardon me if what I wrote implies anyone should not express their opinion.  That is the exact opposite of who I am. I expressed my opinion.  I meant nothing else.  I'm glad you felt no shade.  In 1983, I was told I was going to die and should get my affairs in order.  I've been told the same thing three times since.  They were wrong. They told me I had AIDS before HIV was even discovered and before any blood test existed.  I did not.  They were wrong again. They told me I'd never get off all the medication I spent the past five years getting off of and they were wrong.  They told me I was addicted and they were wrong.  I claim no pupit.  Life has been challenging, as it is for all of us. I can only speak for myself when I say that if I spend time thinking about the fact that the end of whatever might come whenever...that time is lost speculating something which I cannot possibly know. That time spent pondering the unknown is lost to fear, where it could have been spent dancing and singing. For me, when the end of something I love happens; if it is a good thing it will reemerge at a different time on a different plane. It will be even more awesome, and that's just the beginning of forever.  That does not mean other people see it differently.  

I never intended to squash anyone's opinions or feelings or thoughts.  If I did so, you have my humble apology.

I lost my father early too.  Death sucks for those who remain.. I believe in a better place. If U2 must end then I want to go wherever the music goes because it's what has kept me going when they told me I was finished.         (that is my experience and it's only my opinion, ableit emphatically stated.)    

Spoken like someone who has faced life's most greatest challenge and overcame it. That is truly admirable and a blessing. I've read many of your posts and always thought your responses were well-considered and erudite. I also thought some where quite optimistic and spiritual.

While I am thankful to have my health, I have also experienced my share of challenges--combat, twice--and I will live with stuff for the rest my life. I also want to spend the rest of my day thinking of only the good things.

What you've shared brought additional light to your posts, thank you.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 504jumper said:

I have also experienced my share of challenges--combat, twice--and I will live with stuff for the rest my life. I also want to spend the rest of my day thinking of only the good things.

All of my uncles were Marines. You have my utmost respect.  I hope that stuff lessens over time.  Thinking about the good things is a great thing, imho.  I'm glad you do that too.  It beats smelling all the poop.

Edited by Manohlive

I'd like to see on last album that's better than IE or SoE because they didn't move me like Achtung Baby, HTDAAB