Sign in to follow this  
shule

Do you feel as being ripped of ?

To be fair to u2 , the stage setups they have come up with over the years have been very innovative and the arena setup for GA is particularly good. 

In terms of setlists I do have a bit of a worry after mtv Trafalgar Square - the new songs fit well with some of the songs many hardcore fans have been hoping would be retired from the set long ago.

If the songs from Trafalgar Square plus the new album made up the lion share of the new sets It may be a tour I would sit out. 

Totally agree. It's pure greed. We are paying more and more and not getting our money's worth anymore. I still haven't received my subscription gift yet they want to take my money for everything as quickly as possible. This may actually be the first time I don't go and see the band live since 1992 which will be the most disappointing thing ever.

I'm in the camp of, "This is what it costs these days".  Prices are supply and demand.  If they weren't selling out each and every show, it would be fair to say the tickets are overpriced.  But so long as they're selling out, pricing to "what the market will bear." is a reasonable approach.   And I echo the comments that at least U2 is spending on the show and tech to support it.  The Innocence tour staging, screen and sound system was the most innovative thing anyone's done on an arena tour that I am aware of.  I think their sound system won awards and is being adopted by others.  The end to end stage gave up precious space that could have been sold to ticket buyers, but turned all those seats at the"other end" of the arena into great seats for part of the show.  And the screen for innocence....well nothing has come close in other arena tours.  And then for this year's JT tour, they come out with the biggest, highest def screen ever, with outstanding visuals.  

Sure, the ticket prices are crazy.  But when performers can't make money selling albums anymore, it is driving prices up for everyone as pointed our above.  At least U2 is trying to continually improve and innovate the experience.  

All of the best reserved seats go to VIP AND SPECIAL packages for excess of $500.  There were no reserved seats in Vegas in the center lower sections in the experience sale-NONE! So, $75 to $332 are the cheap seats! Most of the money is going to U2 rather than scalpers-better, but makes the show for the wealthier.

the idea of real fans getting the GA seems fair and correct. But, so many cities seemed to have little or no GA for even the experience group (could not get Vegas GA). So many companies, arena special fans and others skimming tickets- the regular fan has no chance.

the saying, 'if you want to dance, you gotta pay the band' has gotten rougher.

23 hours ago, BillHenderson said:

" But when performers can't make money selling albums anymore, it is driving prices up for everyone as pointed our above.  At least U2 is trying to continually improve and innovate the experience.  "

Spot on with this statement BillH!

It is difficult for musicians to make money on album sales now with online streaming, downloading etc...the fact that U2 has given away their albums for "free" (once through iTunes - which for some odd reason people freaked out about, and then with this album that comes free with a ticket) is showing that the album sale is not where they will make their money.

Now I am not a big concert goer, except for U2 which I've seen probably 50+ shows, and I agree the efforts they put into innovative shows is absolutely amazing.  And the emotion they bring to the show to me is why I go. 

Precisely!  Couldn't have said it better myself.  I'm not at 50 shows, but I have never once walked out of one of their shows thinking to myself, "Well, that was not good value", and I've paid more each time. I don't mind paying premium prices for premium products - and compared to others their prices aren't really a premium to other acts. 

I don't mind the price - but jeez, you'd think they could've got the fan purchase process figured out by now.  That drives me nuts each time, although in this case it was better than most for me albeit that is not true for some.  That's probably why they have such a big lag between ticket sales and shows.  By the time you get to the show, you've forgotten most of the stress, anxiety, frustration and increasingly anger about their inability to get it right.