Presale code was a lottery

rustyg

• Subscriber

Like many fans, I got an email last night stating that I would get a presell code then got another email two hours later stating that I wouldn't get a code. Today, I had been dialing u2.com all day, and after spending 20 minutes on hold, finally got to talk to someone. The operator reviewed my account and said that even though I was "verified" in the "experience group" that I wasn't guaranteed to receive a code because it was a random drawing. She also said that U2 had to abide by Ticketmasters's rules. This caveat that the presell code would be based upon random drawing was never stated on the website. See: http://www.u2.com/help Fans like me that didn't get a code are not rolled into the "innocence group" so will have to buy a ticket with everyone else unless you want to sign up for a Citicard. No thanks. Now I can either try to get bad tickets with the general public or overpay for scalped tickets - which is what U2 was trying to avoid along. See: http://www.u2.com/tour 

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, rustyg said:

Like many fans, I got an email last night stating that I would get a presell code then got another email two hours later stating that I wouldn't get a code. Today, I had been dialing u2.com all day, and after spending 20 minutes on hold, finally got to talk to someone. The operator reviewed my account and said that even though I was "verified" in the "experience group" that I wasn't guaranteed to receive a code because it was a random drawing. She also said that U2 had to abide by Ticketmasters's rules. This caveat that the presell code would be based upon random drawing was never stated on the website. See: http://www.u2.com/help Fans like me that didn't get a code are not rolled into the "innocence group" so will have to buy a ticket with everyone else unless you want to sign up for a Citicard. No thanks. Now I can either try to get bad tickets with the general public or overpay for scalped tickets - which is what U2 was trying to avoid along. See: http://www.u2.com/tour 

PM the mods (see Subscription 2018 FAQ), they can and are getting members their codes.  It is taking some time, but they are addressing it and getting it taken care of, but they can not address it for you if they don't have your information. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, kwaite said:

PM the mods (see Subscription 2018 FAQ), they can and are getting members their codes.  It is taking some time, but they are addressing it and getting it taken care of, but they can not address it for you if they don't have your information. 

I PM'd one of them 7 hours ago and haven't gotten a reply.

• Subscriber

I’ve had someone elsewhere try to excuse the band and Ticketmaster by saying they over sold the presale. 

NOPE! Not having that. They tried to sneak the lottery system on us had to have been fully aware of it to be ready to offer refunds. This is an unprecedented level of greed.

Heard about the Verified Fan plan for Taylor Swift’s tour and thought it to be very abusive of fans. They tried to make it seem as if this would be different and I was willing to give it a shot because of how much I look up to this band. I’m not even in the Experience group and still can’t help but feel betrayed/foolish.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, bl00dypalms said:

I’ve had someone elsewhere try to excuse the band and Ticketmaster by saying they over sold the presale. 

NOPE! Not having that. They tried to sneak the lottery system on us had to have been fully aware of it to be ready to offer refunds. This is an unprecedented level of greed.

Heard about the Verified Fan plan for Taylor Swift’s tour and thought it to be very abusive of fans. They tried to make it seem as if this would be different and I was willing to give it a shot because of how much I look up to this band. I’m not even in the Experience group and still can’t help but feel betrayed/foolish.

There is no excuse. They know what to expect from the presale...especially coming off the Joshua Tree tour. This was dishonest and shady. If they were going to a lottery, it should have been 100 percent clear. This is bad business.  Fans don’t forget this type of thing.

• Subscriber

Ticketmaster doesn't care.  They have a monopoly.  There are not incentivized to care at all.

Meanwhile long-time hardcore fans are screwed.  I was "lucky" enough to get a code, but I really feel bad for everyone else.  Sucks!  You would think a band as big as U2 could finally upset the apple cart and solve the ticketmaster problem once and for all.