• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Ingrida said:

I can't imagine they would mark someone inelligible for perpetuity making them unable to buy any tickets for any shows ever again in the future. That would be literally the stupidest thing ever because Ticketmaster would lose millions of dollars! I can totally see your point but the thought of them doing that is literally the worst thing that could happen to people who go to a lot of concerts!

I'm sorry, that's not what I meant.  I mean, let's say you live in Boston and register to be verified for the Boston show.  It's then a two step process - the first step is verifying that you're real, the second is giving you a code.  Many people will pass the first step, but few will get a code.  If you don't get a code, you never get a chance to buy tickets for that show.  So even before the Boston show goes on sale, Ticketmaster decides whether or not you're allowed to go to their webpage to purchase tickets for it. 

In the past, everyone had a chance to try their hand at buying tickets.  Now, only a select few will.  In the past, extra tickets would often be quietly released on Ticketmaster in the days, weeks and months after the initial onsale, so even if you didn't get a ticket the first day, there was still hope.  Now, if you don't get a code, those opportunities won't exist for you.

Bruce Springsteen is in the middle of an 80 show run in New York City, and I'm a huge fan.  But thanks to Ticketmaster's Verified Fan policy, even though I was "verified", I was not selected to receive a code, so I was not allowed to even try to buy even a single ticket to any one of those 80 shows.  Ticketmaster just decided that even though I passed my test, I shouldn't be allowed to try to buy tickets.  And this is going to happen to a lot of people in the general onsale for U2. 

It's one thing to try to get tickets and not be successful -- it's another thing entirely for Ticketmaster to determine that you're not allowed to even try your luck in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My theory...it's all in the fine print of "Verified Fan" and my sincere belief that if we were assigned a presale group that meant we were verified.  In reading U2.com/help: Can I register for ot

Couple of points, yes some of the answers I gave (my interpretations, not there in ANY official capacity - as I stated in the podcast) - some of the facts I were given were not correct. And in fact I

We are doing something right now - we're doing our best to get up the chain of command with as many fan stories, as many examples and the like to let them know this is as bad - or worse - than 2005. W

Posted Images

• Subscriber

Ticketmaster confirmed that I'm a Verified Fan so just please enter the code. Monday night I got the confirmation/instruction email from U2.com saying I was a Verified Subscriber in the eXPERIENCE group therefore I *would* get a code Tuesday morning. Not might or should, but WILL GET A CODE was the verbiage it used. I should note that I have not gotten any kind of follow-up email saying "whoops, no code for you"...

And yet here it is Wednesday morning and still no code. Meanwhile plenty of iNNOCENCE group folks are getting their codes (though some are not, from what I understand). As someone on another thread said, now that I'm a Verified Fan I'm going to need that code to buy tickets regardless of when I try to purchase--yes, even under General Sale.

Edited by kuroshii
  • Subscriber
19 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

With respect to Bigwave, the answers he gave on the podcast turned out to be not correct....

...And while I don't think Bigwave is personally a bad guy -- at some point, doesn't someone have to be responsible for something, anything, here? 

To be fair the mods are just passing on the information that they are given.

Bigwave and his colleagues get my thumbs up.

• Subscriber

If I remember, the Bruce Springsteen Broadway Ticketmaster Verified Fan process, which I entered,  was clear and concise.  You will be entered into a fan lottery to receive a code via text.  There was no confusion, the verbiage explicitly said you were entering a lottery.  There as clear instructions that you should have your phone handy but that you might not receive a code text.   So when tickets when on-sale,  I had my phone handy but did not receive a code.  So I thought I lost the lottery, but at least I was prepared for this outcome.  Bruce Springsteen ended up adding shows and another round of tickets went on sale about one week later.  You did not have to re-enter the lottery, your name was still in the hopper.  I actually got a text with a code during this round and was able to go to ticketmaster to search for tickets.  I tried to get tickets for a few shows, but face value in the orchestra was $700 and those were the only tickets popping up.  I declined to purchase, but at least I had a chance to buy.   About an hour later even all the $700 tickets were sold out.  

If this is the way forward even with fanclubs, (which we all know is extremely unfair for longtime fans), then it is not brain surgery to make this very clear to fans.  For a rock band whose lead singer gets audiences with world leaders because he is so well informed, than it is not too much to ask that the fan club be informed as well.

EMAIL STATUS
Verified

In reading U2.com/help:
Can I register for other Verified Presales if I participate in the Verified Subscriber Presale, like Verified Citi and Verified Fan?
Yes, you may register for the other Presales in addition to the U2.com Verified Subscriber Presale. Please note, registration does not guarantee you will be verified, receive a code, or have the ability to purchase tickets through the other Presales.

Note: "Does not guarantee you will be verified."

• Subscriber

ticketmaster is gross (always has been), but the fact long time paid fan club members didn't receive a code because of an algorithmic lottery is gross beyond any imagining. it was a sucker punch from a band we adore and it'll take a good long minute to feel okay about it.

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, CorkVegan said:

To be fair the mods are just passing on the information that they are given.

They're part of a system that's grown more difficult, more inconvenient, more expensive and less transparent for U2 fans.  Again, I don't think they're bad people, but they are part of a system that is the problem.

• Subscriber

As someone who also was verified in the "Experience" group after many years of u2.com membership, I appreciate the posts on this thread.  At the least, it should have been made completely clear that the "Verified" status was going to lead to a lottery.   Secondly, it was a terrible mode of doing business to send an initial email Monday at 10 pm indicating a code would follow and then two hours later receive the second email which basically said "never mind" without any explanation whatsoever.

The final point is the nauseating finding of many tickets already showing up at extraordinarily high prices on the secondary sales sites.  Obviously the attempt to use a "Verified" system to separate true fans from entrepreneurs was unsuccessful.  

Well, if I don't see a show, I will live, there are bigger problems in life.  However, I share the sense of true disappointment in terms of how this was handled start to finish, a poor reflection on the group.  If they are aware of the problem, it certainly would have been good PR to at least have sort of reference to it at u2.com, aside from the forums.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

They're part of a system that's grown more difficult, more inconvenient, more expensive and less transparent for U2 fans.  Again, I don't think they're bad people, but they are part of a system that is the problem.

I agree. The 360 deal with Livenation has been good for the band but bad for the fans.

Fingers crossed that when the contract runs out U2 don't resign.

• Subscriber
Just now, CorkVegan said:

I agree. The 360 deal with Livenation has been good for the band but bad for the fans.

Fingers crossed that when the contract runs out U2 don't resign.

IIRC, LiveNation had not yet been purchased by Ticketmaster at the time U2 first entered into their current arrangement.