• Subscriber
1 minute ago, buzz2 said:

Scalping will always be a part of ticket buying there is no way it can't be. 

It's actually really easy to stop scalping, but no one has the will to do it.

You make all tickets will-call only.  The person buying the ticket is the only one who can pick up, must show both the credit card used and a matching photo ID, and they must enter the venue immediately upon picking up.  Credit card entry (CCE) is an attempt to do this, but the rules aren't enforced evenly, so it doesn't do what it's supposed to.  Though the rules state it's not allowed, Ticketmaster does allow you to use a prepaid credit card for these purchases, which don't have any corresponding ID.  Venues rarely check the full ID, they just scan the credit card.  If they enforce the rules, including turning people away for having a disposable credit card and non-matching ID, scalping becomes impossible. 

You can't scalp an airline ticket.

Ticketmaster and the venues just need to treat tickets for shows the way tickets for air travel are treated and scalping would be finished overnight.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 1
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My theory...it's all in the fine print of "Verified Fan" and my sincere belief that if we were assigned a presale group that meant we were verified.  In reading U2.com/help: Can I register for ot

Couple of points, yes some of the answers I gave (my interpretations, not there in ANY official capacity - as I stated in the podcast) - some of the facts I were given were not correct. And in fact I

We are doing something right now - we're doing our best to get up the chain of command with as many fan stories, as many examples and the like to let them know this is as bad - or worse - than 2005. W

Posted Images

• Subscriber

So U2.com made us re up our subscription  EARLY to get a CODE that we never get? 

9 years paying subscription fees plus the extra one they made me buy for presale. 10 minutes after presale starts STUB HUB has tons of tickets for sale. Not buying it. Someone needs to be fired. Maybe a class action law suit will make them wake up

Edited by THENEWYORKTONY
  • Subscriber
7 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

Ticketmaster and the venues just need to treat tickets for shows the way tickets for air travel are treated and scalping would be finished overnight.

Yes I agree, but that is if TM really wanted to end it in the first place. Even they are in the "Resale" business and scalping for TM means greater demand for tickets and more reason to charge more per ticket.

• Upvote 2
  • Subscriber

The right to fair treatment / innocent until proven guilty seems to be a thing of the past. Being 'verified' is meaningless if you are later out of the cut due to an unsubstantiated  / random  reason. 

I got a code in the experience lottery yesterday but nevertheless  find this whole thing paints a vulgar picture of what this band represent. 

Trully trumped off.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, hughfan said:

If I remember, the Bruce Springsteen Broadway Ticketmaster Verified Fan process, which I entered,  was clear and concise.  You will be entered into a fan lottery to receive a code via text.  There was no confusion, the verbiage explicitly said you were entering a lottery.  There as clear instructions that you should have your phone handy but that you might not receive a code text.   So when tickets when on-sale,  I had my phone handy but did not receive a code.  So I thought I lost the lottery, but at least I was prepared for this outcome.  Bruce Springsteen ended up adding shows and another round of tickets went on sale about one week later.  You did not have to re-enter the lottery, your name was still in the hopper.  I actually got a text with a code during this round and was able to go to ticketmaster to search for tickets.

Does anyone know if you need to be registered thru TM Verified Fan now for possible added shows?  I haven't done that process as I do not want tix to the currently announced shows on sale and don't want to possibly take up a spot that should go to someone actually wanting to buy now.  But if they will pull from same original batch of registrations...

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, buzz2 said:

Yes I agree, but that is if TM really wanted to end it in the first place. Even they are in the "Resale" business and scalping for TM means greater demand for tickets and more reason to charge more per ticket.

Exactly.  I find it so disingenuous when they say that they're making efforts to stop scalping.  They make a fortune on the resale business just through their own site, let alone their other partnerships.

Full disclosure: the presale worked for me yesterday.  But I feel almost guilty because in the past, presales worked for everyone, not just a select few.  And the presale with verified fan allowed me to select regular delivery and to get the tickets mailed to me - so absolutely no scalping protection on those seats.  I won't be scalping them obviously but I'm sure people will be.

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

With respect... U2.com is a product managed by LiveNation.  Ticketmaster is owned by LiveNation.  These aren't separate entities.  So there's really no excuse for any of this, and I'm not really satisfied with the answer that so-and-so from this company didn't understand what so-and-so from that company meant.  LiveNation offered U2 a fortune to buy their fanclub and touring business, and U2 accepted.  This puts the responsibility jointly on both parties.

The quality of customer service went down significantly when LiveNation took over, and following Guy Oseary taking over for Paul McGuinness, the band and their management are no longer accessible or answerable to fans.

I agree with this - unless you have an active hand in the day-to-day, you would just assume what you're being told is OK. I feel Larry will speak out on this in the coming days...they'll have to. This is right up there with 2005. There are too many entities involved, though - under McGuinness, he ran a tight ship with regard to this. With Live Nation, you have to have LN talking to TM who has to talk to Maverick who has to talk with band "representatives" before the band themselves get involved. There's  plenty of finger pointing - but at the end of the day,  it's the fans who got screwed...again.

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

But I feel almost guilty because in the past, presales worked for everyone, not just a select few. 

I am totally feeling this. Maybe I should take a shower.