U2 360 Tour Stadium Planning

Gar

• Subscriber

Hello all!

Just wondering if there is any way of getting a message to the U2 crew (More so Willie Williams or his staff)

It is in relation to the gigs in Croke Park, Dublin!

Even though it is a 360 tour I notice that the stage is more or less in same position as last tour... i.e. A lot closer to one end (Hill 16 stand) and far faraway from Davin Stand! (I have GA tickets so not bothering me too much)

And those of you who know Croke Park, it is a lot bigger than Soccer stadiums as a GAA pitch is much bigger.

After Vertigo gigs in Croke park I talked to a lot of people who were in the Davin stand and everyone of them were extremely disappointed after the showbecause the sound was terrible and they could hardly see the stage. It was supposed to be very bad place to watch it from.

So if anybody knows anybody in U2 staff could you possibly relay this message to them to ask if it possibly be a 360 concert and have the stage more central?

Anyone been to the concerts on Croke Park last time experience this????

Last tour I had a seated ticket but I'm glad I managed to swap it for a GA!

Why haven't they finished the stadium - one end was a big gaping hole! That can't help the acoustics.

Btw, I remember there were speakers about half way down the pitch that made it sound terrible if you got stuck near them - was actually better being at theback. Thankfully I got to very front for first show.

Yeah, so half the stadium still need binoculars to see much. Why couldnt they put stage in middle of pitch and have a long narrow walkway from one end?

• Subscriber

You're right. The sound was pretty poor for the first night in croker last time around - and I was on the pitch! They got it sorted for the next two nightsI believe.

I was thinking that myself about the stage position. It's just about tickin g the box of 360 if there's a handfull of heads behind the rig on the hillend but I think it's a bit rich putting it where it is.

Hopefully all's well on the night.

I'm not part of the U2 crew (I wish I was), but do audio for these types of settings. Usually the line arrays can throw upto 300 ft. After that, the dblevels decrease drastically. To solve that, they'll put up delays (more line arrays) to help the throw go beyond. The reason we call them delays is becausethose speakers will be set several seconds delay to time it w/the main PA. This is especially effective w/syncing video screens. Audio engineers will EQ thosedelays accordingly, but there's only so much they can do, due to the acoustical environment....nothing to absorb the sound, but us fans. In general,stadiums and giant ballparks are the worst places to hold concerts (audio wise)....they were built to make their hometown fans sound louder, at varioussporting events, by making it reverberate...concrete. The audio company U2 uses is The Claire Brothers....largest and one of the oldest audio companies in theworld. Several well known bands/artists use them, such as Roger Waters....they design their own line arrays (so-called speaker towers in layman'sterms)....Joe O'Herlihy helped develope their line array systems.

If you want to experience the best sounding spot at any concert, get seats by the FOH area or toward the center, about 50' to 100' ft away from thestage. Bad spots are: close to the stage, nose bleed sections, sides, behind FOH towers, delay coverage areas. I was surprised that they aren't doing arenatours this time round....sounds better. However, with the large fan base of U2, it's impossible for them to play anything smaller than a 50,000 to 60,000arena, unless they want the tour to last 5 years!

• Subscriber

Hey thanks for the detailed explanation bflorendo, very informative. I think you need to get a job with these Claire Brothers - there's clearly a gap intheir skillset.

Please excuse my technical ignorance, but what are the FOH Towers? The answer's gonna make me look silly isn't it...

songsrlikesmells wrote:

Hey thanks for the detailed explanation bflorendo, very informative. I think you need to get a job with these Claire Brothers - there's clearly a gap in their skillset.

Please excuse my technical ignorance, but what are the FOH Towers? The answer's gonna make me look silly isn't it...

FOH presumably front of house. however, from memory of the mock-up, there are speakers above the band pointing out in every direction, so maybe in thisinstance, 100 feet from the band will include everyone at the side of stage and behind. the red zone is side of stage and i can't imagine the people payingthose prices will get a poor sound.

• Subscriber

Still think they could try something since it was bad for the last tour in Croke Park. Have a look at the stadium plan for Milan - that looks best and actuallyit was same for Vertigo and if you have seen the DVD for Vertigo from Milan it was probably their best!!

Not sure why they could not use that for Croke Park.