This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

• Subscriber
On 1/21/2019 at 1:25 PM, dmway said:

Yes, I love how much this album has real staying power - I never tire of listening to it.

Going forward, I’m going to try to listen to SOI more in conjunction with it, i.e., to get the whole feel of the full 2-album project. Once the DVD/BluRay for e&i is released, I’ll watch both concerts consecutively too. I want to get more complete feel of the whole concept, if I can.

By coincidence, I have also been reading “Fearful Symmetry” by the wonderful mythologist/scholar, Northrop Frye. It is a very insightful discussion of William Blake’s original poems, including “Songs of Innocence and Experience”. It’s wonderful to read it in conjunction with listening to these albums. I’ll have to revisit Blake’s actual writings/pictures themselves soon too. I haven’t looked at either in a while.

What a great reference. I'll look for it at the library, then see about an interlibrary loan.

It's reassuring to have songs to match the emotional complexity of contemporary issues, and also have perspective of the relationship of the human condition. Poetry as a continuum on the evolution of the human soul.

There I go again, overthinking...

The DVD might be released around my birthday. It will be a nice present for myself.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm tending to agree. I recall in my late teens - this band released 'The Joshua Tree'. I recall hearing the first single lifted off the album - it was called 'With or Without You' (i know you know),

Lifelong fan and I can’t stop with the new songs. All of them are very solid. Blackout is fantastic so is Get out of your own way  into American Soul. Put in the amazing The Little Things That Give Yo

Any honest opinion is obviously legitimate , but one aspect of this album which I think is undeniable, is that it is an incredibly thoughtful album. It's incredibly honest, nuanced in some metaph

Posted Images

• Subscriber

Listening to Summer of Love and Red Flag Day right after The Blanket of Night by Elbow. The Blanket of Night came out on their album The Take Off and Landing of Everything in 2014 and touches on the same things - it's about a refugee couple on a boat sailing away from whatever hell they've left behind to a new home. Turns it works well when followed by Summer of Love and Red Flag Day.

• bigwave unfeatured this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 3/28/2019 at 1:31 AM, dmway said:

Just a reminder...

I still love this album! :HMTMKMKM_Bono_02::HMTMKMKM_Edge_02::HMTMKMKM_Adam_02::HMTMKMKM_Larry_02:

...and I just listened to SOE again today.

Just a lovely piece of music! 😎

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

I wonder what songs will be played from SOE on the Austro-Asian tour coming up.

TLTTGYA, The Blackout, Lights Of Home...the mind boggles...

• Subscriber

Ye know what - whilst it's not umph U2 - Love is bigger remains a fabulous track for me on the last album - reflective, uplifting - everything you want from the band if you've followed them for 'a while'

In the vein of 'All I want is You' 20 years ago.

If the confirmations come through for this tour, I might even attempt travel. 

• Subscriber

It's nice to see this thread come alive again.  I think Lights of Home is a universal song. I'd like to hear it in the new tour. Blackout was a roof blower indoors.  It would be awesome in a stadium.   I'd love to hear them do You're The Best Thing, full on electric, and go straight into Get Out Of Your Own Way. I'd be surprised if they did not do Love Is Bigger. My first choice, as a fan, would be 13.  I can't imagine having written these songs and deciding which ones to use and which ones to leave out when it's been since Vertigo that so many have been able to see them live. .

Edited by Manohlive
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I'm listening to SOE right now.  It's been a rough few days.  This cd is making me feel so much better.  Statues fall....Blackout is playing right now.  My head is banging even thought it's pounding.   Don't you ever doubt the light the light that we can be.    This album is like the glittering object in a story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, only they live happily ever after. 

• Subscriber
On 6/13/2019 at 1:27 AM, Manohlive said:

I'm listening to SOE right now.  It's been a rough few days.  This cd is making me feel so much better.  Statues fall....Blackout is playing right now.  My head is banging even thought it's pounding.   Don't you ever doubt the light the light that we can be.    This album is like the glittering object in a story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, only they live happily ever after. 

I always listen to U2 when things are crap, it really does help, doesn’t change things from being crap but does lift me inside to help me battle on. 

• Like 2
  • Subscriber
12 hours ago, KEV ANGELL said:

I always listen to U2 when things are crap, it really does help, doesn’t change things from being crap but does lift me inside to help me battle on. 

It also sounds even more awesome when things get better after the fall.  I love this album. It's still fresh.  

• Like 1