This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm tending to agree. I recall in my late teens - this band released 'The Joshua Tree'. I recall hearing the first single lifted off the album - it was called 'With or Without You' (i know you know),

Lifelong fan and I can’t stop with the new songs. All of them are very solid. Blackout is fantastic so is Get out of your own way  into American Soul. Put in the amazing The Little Things That Give Yo

Any honest opinion is obviously legitimate , but one aspect of this album which I think is undeniable, is that it is an incredibly thoughtful album. It's incredibly honest, nuanced in some metaph

Posted Images

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

It is so funny what you stated about With or with out you! OMG! I stated this exact thought years ago(in High school) to a fellow u2 freaker like me.

I was like 'what the hell is this shit'????(so ashamed).....Because being a long time fan before Joshua Tree came out....was a transition to hear/accept. Now, post Joshua tree....I listen to a new U2 album with open ears and heart. They each grow on you and get better with time.....like fine wine....not such a bad thing. for a artist...in general.

Oh the first time hearing the Fly? I thought they had lost their damn minds. Thank God for that! 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

I have a strange question...ever since I bought tickets - verified and all....I have been getting spam email directly to me...I just now traced it back and it started the day after all the ticket sales. Anyone else? I can just see Ticketmaster doing something shady like selling emails....

• Subscriber

Good album, but at times I wondered if they forgot to invite Edge to the studio. I don’t get the choice for the opening track either (too mellow). Upside is some fresh new ideas and sounds.  Look forward to listening to it several times today. 

• Subscriber

Addendum:

Mark Beaumont (NME) can GAGF, obviously still butt hurt by having his i-phone 'raped' a few years ago.

Now...Tonight is a bottle of Pinot Noir, what I term the Middle 3 mostly clicked for me today. (I enjoyed them at first, but they work for me today....)

but my personal version of the record is going to switch Showman out for Book of Your Heart.

I liked Yardie's mention of unseen enemies knocking his door down, and I've got the volume up loud enough I'm never quite sure there's no one else in the room. (Infact the guys I'm producing for just helped themselves into the studio without me knowing...they brought wine so it's o.k....ish. LOL). Volume control, indeed.

My favourite song....is.....Landlady, or love is All we have left depending on which one is playing! LOLOL.

So that's enough from me until the next Album. A tip of the hat, A smile, and Goodnight.

Edited by razspazz
On 2-12-2017 at 4:27 AM, Grace12 said:

SOI only spoke to me after I saw the production live. The only song I connected with was Iris.  Then after the concert  I couldn't put CD away. It was a story & so well conveyed. I think this  will be the same if your not connecting to it yet. Btw I hope they never sound like Coldplay. Would break my heart.

Maybe you should listen to the last coldplay cd, they sound like a boyband too now. And  I loved coldplay in the past. But it is the production of the sound that makes this cd sound so horrible. U2 played some of these songs very well live. The producers messed this cd up. Too many different producers. Daniel Lanois produced Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, All that you cant leave behind, No Line on the Horizon. I love all those cd's. Songs of Innocence didnt blend well either but I loved the songs in the end and I thought Songs of Innocence was a brave move. Because it had no real pop hits on it. But this new cd should have been called POP. And that I mean in the most negative way. Get Lanois back. Get Larry's drums back. Adam's bass back. Edge's guitar back. I miss them on this overproduced cd. U2 is supposed to be a rock band not a boyband.

Edited by bettydalton
  • Subscriber

For me, this is a solid album. This is 2017 and I don't expect U2 matching glory days of JT, AB, etc. and thats ok with me.  As I said before, Bruce will never make another "Born to Run", Stones will never make another "Exile", etc.  U2 has made mistakes in their 40 year history (R&H movie, Releasing POP prematurely which is still a great album, and lets not forget the free upload of SOI to iTunes disaster) but they always seem to learn from them.  This album proves it in my opinion.  

Edited by edgebenson
  • Subscriber
4 hours ago, doppers said:

Just listen to Lights of Home, American Soul, the Showman ("You look so good" - oh please?), Landlady, The Blackout, they would struggle to get onto any other album including even October, Pop and NLOTH.  Even the stronger tracks are weak enough.  When they finally just do greatest hits tours, there will be precious little from 2017 on it.

they hid disappointing sales of SOI by the apple wheeze but wait to see how low this will be. The tide has gone out and they are left with only Hewson's vast ego to cover their modesty..

Doppers...

One aspect of your commentary that I find endearing, is addressing Bono by his birth name, not stage name. Are you being deliberate about that, or is it all subconscious?

Maybe you find "Hewson" more real....and wish he would detach from his showman/Bono alter ego?

You know....I feel Bono or Paul Hewson struggles with this as well....Separating the man from the performer or "showman"

I validate your observations on some levels....But U2 has produced some amazing songs in this last decade and 1/2.....really. Think about that....but, I know art is very subjective/personal....and what resonates with the 'individual'.  October was actually "musically" very creative in sound and rich with fragile  and spiritual emotion. Bono's lyrics/music were stolen off the bus and later returned.  The song October itself....is bare bones simplicity...but hauntingly beautiful/impactful......a U2 classic. Threw a brick threw a window has interesting guitar, drums......Tomorrow is lyrically beautiful and very Irish(about his mother/grandfather's death).

I agree SOE  seems to  have the U2 original/trademark sound but not  transformed by experimental, artistic insight. SOE is a very safe album.....nothing too avant garde, pioneering  or transcendent....like their work in the past.

Edited by unforgettableu2
10 hours ago, kinsa said:

The fact this band can still move me 30+ years later like they did when I was a teenager is to me, phenomenal. I absolutely love this album, rooftop to the basement.

Kinsa I am glad that you really love this cd. U2 fans are really passionate and I love that. U2 can still move me too, otherwise I wouldnt be here. But I get goosebumps when I see them live. Little to none goosebumps on this cd however for me. Listened to it 25 times front to end. 5 good songs. 3 or 4 could be much better performed live. That's 8 out of 13. Not good, not bad. U2 have become like the stones. Nobody expects greatness for a new cd but just as with the Stones once they perform live they always rock and shine like in the good old days.

Some of the songs on this cd have already been performed live. And I liked those songs in a live setting. But I cringe when I hear those same songs performed on this cd. Even Ordinary Love on the deluxe cd is screwed up with too much production. That song was great as original. And it was superb when I heard U2 play a live and acoustic version of Ordinary Love in Brazil!

Now U2 sounds like Coldplay on their latest cd, just like any other boyband. The songs still can be good, but the sound is so unlike what U2 have ever made before. In a bad way. Give me Daniel Lanois back as producer for the next cd.

• Upvote 1
  • bigwave unfeatured this topic