Sign in to follow this  
hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

2 hours ago, angelofharlem4u2 said:

The R&H film had so many special moments:  When U2 visited the church in Harlem, collaborating with B.B. King, Bono's speech during SBS, the visit to Graceland.

Heartland, and Edge sliding down the banks of the Mississippi on his arse. Nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hollywoodswag said:

I had a problem getting YTBTAM and the remix of it even downloading to my phone, but I'll give a shout-out to Apple's support technicians, because I've had similar problems before and they get it to work every single time. If you aren't able to get it to sync this time, hit them up.

Thank you. Will try again tomorrow.

Finally had a chance to listen to the songs on my home stereo (sent kids to a birthday party).  Played it loud.  Heard all the intricacies of the layers of sounds, and the arrangements were obviously well thought out and refined and processed (in a good way) to the point U2 felt they had the right product.

Yesterday I initially thought it was just "good," now I think it's "great."  And I realize U2 could have thrown red meat to their fans and put out an album of songs that sounded like "City of Blinding Lights," "You're the best thing about me," or "Beautiful Day,"  but they are offering yet another imaginative perspective.  I think this album pushed me as a long time fan to be open to fresh new sounds and ideas.   

I still would have liked to have one or two more songs with stadium-rocking Edge riffs, but I'm sure we'll get that when we hear these songs live next year.

• Like 1

It’s not a ‘great’ album but it’s still a proper album that has all the elements flow together quite nicely.

Seems a bit similar to The Script in places.

An album that would play well at a dinner party.

Although I’m enjoying it there is a problem.

It’s ‘nice’ and ‘safe’ and there’s a lack of edge, in more ways than one.

There’s little risk taking despite powerful lyrics in places.

Listening tonight for the first time since my pre-order didn't arrive in time... still hasn't but couldn't wait any longer. I've not even finished it yet, and already it's the best thing I've heard since... maybe Achtung Baby! Wow... that is a bold statement! I'll commit by the end, I'm sure!  

Edited by mcmastermike77

2 minutes ago, mcmastermike77 said:

Listening tonight for the first time since my pre-order didn't arrive in time... still hasn't but couldn't wait any longer. I've not even finished it yet, and already it's the best thing I've heard since... maybe Achtung Baby! Wow... that is a bold statement! I'll commit by the end, I'm sure!  

Why....since Achtung Baby? which is a diamond....so you think SOE is a blue diamond in terms of  artistic merit and quality?

What is it about this album that you find to measure up against one of U2's greatest?

1 hour ago, globaltraveler said:

Finally had a chance to listen to the songs on my home stereo (sent kids to a birthday party).  Played it loud.  Heard all the intricacies of the layers of sounds, and the arrangements were obviously well thought out and refined and processed (in a good way) to the point U2 felt they had the right product.

Yesterday I initially thought it was just "good," now I think it's "great."  And I realize U2 could have thrown red meat to their fans and put out an album of songs that sounded like "City of Blinding Lights," "You're the best thing about me," or "Beautiful Day,"  but they are offering yet another imaginative perspective.  I think this album pushed me as a long time fan to be open to fresh new sounds and ideas.   

I still would have liked to have one or two more songs with stadium-rocking Edge riffs, but I'm sure we'll get that when we hear these songs live next year.

I agree with much of your commentary......but, as a long term u2 fan.......i'm still searching in this  musical journey with them................

searching.....and I know they got deep inside my veins when the hairs raise up and down my arms & spine......much like experiencing the presence of a spiritual entity....

I you intuitively know....feel it.....

Have I felt that with this album YET? 

Maybe....with Lights of Home and the little things that give you away. I love The blackout...it's arrangement/creative sound....and I do also like American soul for the same characteristics.

Edited by unforgettableu2

9 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Why....since Achtung Baby? which is a diamond....so you think SOE is a blue diamond in terms of  artistic merit and quality?

What is it about this album that you find to measure up against one of U2's greatest?

No, you're absolutely right. It's not the best thing since Achtung Baby! That's the beer, anticipation and the will for it to be the best album in the world talking. But excusing my excitement to join in with the celebration, which I've missed, I love the groove of the album and the uplifting energy. Previous comment redacted. (Still enjoying the album though and it could be the best since...)

8 minutes ago, mcmastermike77 said:

No, you're absolutely right. It's not the best thing since Achtung Baby! That's the beer, anticipation and the will for it to be the best album in the world talking. But excusing my excitement to join in with the celebration, which I've missed, I love the groove of the album and the uplifting energy. Previous comment redacted. (Still enjoying the album though and it could be the best since...)

I'm listening to the album as we type our little reviews......:)

U2 is  still magnificient.....no other band has reached me to this visceral level. 

Remember, they almost broke-up making achtung baby for creative differences....

Inspiration is a mysterious thing.....

All I know, Mike, as a creative person myself, there is no such thing as forced creativity......

Art speaks for itself when it comes from a genuine, primal place from the soul......

I think that is what we are talking about here.......right?????

Edited by unforgettableu2

2 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

I'm listening to the album as we type our little reviews......:)

U2 is  still magnificient.....no other band has reached me to this visceral level. 

Remember, they almost broke-up making achtung baby for creative differences....

Inspiration is a mysterious thing.....

All I know, Mike, as a creative person myself, there is no such thing as forced creativity......

Art speaks for itself when it comes from a genuine, primal place from the soul......

I think that is what we are talking about here.......right?????

I competently agree. If it is TRUE then it must be right what ever the media. I feel this is a true album.