This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

hope3702

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, mcmastermike77 said:

I competently agree. If it is TRUE then it must be right what ever the media. I feel this is a true album. 

True.....it may be......

So what takes art to that next level?

I guess if we/they knew the secret....every album would be at the level of achtung Baby.....

Not replicating it's likeness...just it's extraordinary power/greatness.....

• Subscriber

But you can't replicate anything that has been or happened in the past as everything is completely unique, even ,my opinion of this album and all past albums I have ever heard. I've just finished it for the first time and it's going on again. It's definitely better than the last two albums in my opinion upon first listen. Now I just have to convince myself it goes further into the back catalogue.   

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, yardie said:

Heartland, and Edge sliding down the banks of the Mississippi on his arse. Nice.

Yes!!! my God.....Memphis Eve........(when eve was born).....

God I love the song "heartland"......thanks yardie for reminding me of that bewitching, sultry....beautifully written song. Bono's voice is prime.....bone chilling.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, mcmastermike77 said:

But you can't replicate anything that has been or happened in the past as everything is completely unique, even ,my opinion of this album and all past albums I have ever heard. I've just finished it for the first time and it's going on again. It's definitely better than the last two albums in my opinion upon first listen. Now I just have to convince myself it goes further into the back catalogue.   

I agree, Mike.....

that's what I said, not replicate it's likeness....just it's artistic power to reach inside the collective soul of so many....is a accomplishment for any artist.

Every U2 album....is like giving birth to a new baby in the family. Different....but may have inherited some common DNA.

I haven't yet ranked this album....still too new.....for every U2 album evolves for me....and maybe even more valued/understood later in life when revisited.

I could cherry pick songs from the last decade and 1/2  and collaborate a amazing album maybe better than Achtung?.....wouldn't you agree?

Edited by unforgettableu2

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

I agree, Mike.....

that's what I said, not replicate it's likeness....just it's artistic power to reach inside the collective soul of so many....is a accomplishment for any artist.

Every U2 album....is like giving birth to any baby in the family. Different....but may have inherited some common DNA.

I haven't yet ranked this album....still too new.....for every U2 album evolves for me....and maybe even more valued/understood later in life when revisited.

I could cherry pick songs from the decade and 1/2  and collaborate a amazing album maybe better than Achtung?.....wouldn't you agree?

Since you put it like that... let's have a think...?

13 songs that could be picked since AB that would be better than AB on an album if released now... including SOE...

Zooropa

Numb

Lemon

Stay

The First Time

... that's just off one album... Can't be done!! 

• Like 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, mcmastermike77 said:

Since you put it like that... let's have a think...?

13 songs that could be picked since AB that would be better than AB on an album if released now... including SOE...

Zooropa

Numb

Lemon

Stay

The First Time

... that's just off one album... Can't be done!! 

exactly! Mike.....you read me......and all those songs are masterpieces.....stand alone blue, rare diamonds......what a accomplishment.... for U2.

why don't I add to your collection of jewels.....(going even farther back in time)

shadows and tall trees, October, drowning man, Bad, All I want is you, heartland, God part 2,  please, my blue room, mofo, in a little while, kite, moment of surrender,  sleep like a baby, the troubles.......

ECT....ECT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

exactly! Mike.....you read me......and all those songs are masterpieces.....stand alone blue, rare diamonds......what a accomplishment.... for U2.

why don't I add to your collection of jewels.....(going even farther back in time)

shadows and tall trees, October, drowning man, Bad, All I want is you, heartland, God part 2,  please, my blue room, mofo, in a little while, kite, moment of surrender,  sleep like a baby, the troubles.......

ECT....ECT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Okay, Okay we're on the same page :).... Now, back to THIS album... will these songs stand up against any of the aforementioned in our previous conversation...? you'll have to give me at least a week, but I sincerely think there will be moments that do... Definitely not the Refu-Jesus line but others, certainly. Keep me posted! 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, mcmastermike77 said:

Okay, Okay we're on the same page :).... Now, back to THIS album... will these songs stand up against any of the aforementioned in our previous conversation...? you'll have to give me at least a week, but I sincerely think there will be moments that do... Definitely not the Refu-Jesus line but others, certainly. Keep me posted! 

You know....at this point in time.....I'm going to say no.....but, I've modified my perspective in some previous albums....and ended up liking some of the songs or at least appreciating them.( to my shame, With or with out you)....it was so 'new' in sound comparing to u2's unforgettable, war, october, boy. It took me a while to get used to.....history speaks for itself. I was so ashamed of my narrow mindedness.....

But, this album is different than ''getting used to".......in sound/creative differences....

It lacks a edgy pulse.....or shall I dare say.....it is too commerical/white bread in spots. I've never equated U2 as mainstream....whitebread....or top 40.

They have a alternative mentality/sound....and even their most popular songs...sound a bit out of place on mainstream radio. Really.....u2's sound is unique to themselves...and hard to define.

I will give it more time....but, as a collective whole, despite some good songs on SOE, this is not a history maker. It's missing U2's seductive power of eliciting the soul...it's a combination of bono's lyrics, the music......

I'm not feeling drugged  or intoxicated by the music, like I usually do....

Maybe just a little buzzed off it's effects....

• Subscriber

I’m going to stand by what I said, I think it’s a great album and it may not be better but I think it’s sitting with their stronger stuff of the last 20 years. Production wise, I’m loving the sonicness. I’m loving the melodies, especially the vocal parts on the chorus parts. I think there are elements of fun and seriousness that are juxtaposed cleverly. One of my favourite tracks from htdaab was fast cars... kind of similar to some of the expressions here. A bit like baby face on Zooropa. I’m going to enjoy listening to this and exploring it with a smile as opposed to a cynical frown! It is what it is. For me anyway...

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, mcmastermike77 said:

I’m going to stand by what I said, I think it’s a great album and it may not be better but I think it’s sitting with their stronger stuff of the last 20 years. Production wise, I’m loving the sonicness. I’m loving the melodies, especially the vocal parts on the chorus parts. I think there are elements of fun and seriousness that are juxtaposed cleverly. One of my favourite tracks from htdaab was fast cars... kind of similar to some of the expressions here. A bit like baby face on Zooropa. I’m going to enjoy listening to this and exploring it with a smile as opposed to a cynical frown! It is what it is. For me anyway...

I love the "sonicness" as well....U2 does that well....its a signature/trademark to their 'sound'. think back all the way to the atmospheric "october' album or even unforgettable. Pop is a underrated album....lyrically, too. I love your use of word "juxtaposition"...because that is how I perceive U2...one bi juxtaposition....or dichotomy....

HTDAAB.....what a album....Fast cars was the extra little acoustic number....catchy tune. I myself....thought the whole album was so cohesive....well crafted. I hate vertigo, though. my kids laugh at me.....why mom??? why?????

I loved.... sometimes you can't make it on your own, all because of you, ***crumbs from your table*****

baby face...hmm....like get on your boots?? same satire.....

Really.....the best satire of all...was discotheque...love that little silly but serious tune.....

With U2...there is more that meets the surface....layers....Bibical, political and personal message interwoven....many times in one single song.

I smile listening to this album, for sure....like i said....I got to give the wine a chance to breathe...to fully evaluate/appreciate the flavors and undertones....

Edited by unforgettableu2
  • Like 1

• bigwave unfeatured this topic