Sign in to follow this  
hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

9 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Doppers...

One aspect of your commentary that I find endearing, is addressing Bono by his birth name, not stage name. Are you being deliberate about that, or is it all subconscious?

Maybe you find "Hewson" more real....and wish he would detach from his showman/Bono alter ego?

You know....I feel Bono or Paul Hewson struggles with this as well....Separating the man from the performer or "showman"

I validate your observations on some levels....But U2 has produced some amazing songs in this last decade and 1/2.....really. Think about that....but, I know art is very subjective/personal....and what resonates with the 'individual'.  October was actually "musically" very creative in sound and rich with fragile  and spiritual emotion. Bono's lyrics/music were stolen off the bus and later returned.  The song October itself....is bare bones simplicity...but hauntingly beautiful/impactful......a U2 classic. Threw a brick threw a window has interesting guitar, drums......Tomorrow is lyrically beautiful and very Irish(about his mother/grandfather's death).

I agree SOE  seems to  have the U2 original/trademark sound but not  transformed by experimental, artistic insight. SOE is a very safe album.....nothing too avant garde, pioneering  or transcendent....like their work in the past.

I think you are reading too much into the name. It is simply what I and my mates have always known him as although for a nickname he has also been referred to as "that arsehole" ??

i know all about October but my point was that it was the weak album between Boy and War.

It's funny but after SOI was released I met a journalist who had written a gushing review and told him that in 3/5 years there would only be 3 or 4 tracks that had stood the test of time. I met him earlier this year at a Joshua Tree concert and he reminded me of our conversation and told me how he now totally agreed.  He emailed me yesterday to say he doesn't reckon that SOE will even manage to have 3 or 4 tracks with longevity. He still wrote a great review though to ensure his ticket allocation!

Posted my early thoughts on the 'shaping up to be a gem' thread.

Edited by yardie

Crying now (briefly). 13 killing me, then shuffling to Landlady. This is an amazing album. So, so , so many levels ........................................every soul that left me, every heart that kept me.............

1 hour ago, doppers said:

I think you are reading too much into the name. It is simply what I and my mates have always known him as although for a nickname he has also been referred to as "that arsehole" ??

i know all about October but my point was that it was the weak album between Boy and War.

It's funny but after SOI was released I met a journalist who had written a gushing review and told him that in 3/5 years there would only be 3 or 4 tracks that had stood the test of time. I met him earlier this year at a Joshua Tree concert and he reminded me of our conversation and told me how he now totally agreed.  He emailed me yesterday to say he doesn't reckon that SOE will even manage to have 3 or 4 tracks with longevity. He still wrote a great review though to ensure his ticket allocation!

greetings again....Doppers....

Thank-you for your honesty and perspective......

So, why do you think Hewson is a arsehole? it seems to me it is the popular theme right now to hate on Bono/U2.(i'm not saying that is your objective)..

Why though? Please help me understand? I think Bono struggles as well.....sincerely.  Bono or even all the band members(even Clayton), seem pretty down to earth/normal, with very few issues like sex/drugs/excess/failed marriages/love children/groupies in comparison to almost ALL bands/musicians of past/present.

Bono's Ego? "All Showman."....as he even states.....to conceal his true vulnerabilities/insecurities....however, some sort of ego/self-importance has to be present to become a rockstar/celebrity. It's in fact a prerequisite !!!!!!!

Interesting about the journalist's reviews.....and hidden motivations.

You know....I never put much merit into what critics/reviews say,....for their exact motivations can't be trusted. I'll quote Bono: "what is in fashion is out of fashion"

what type of artistic endeavors were you anticipating or seems lacking in u2's recent work, that you resonated/connected to in the past?

site me examples.....with specific songs.....and we'll chat....:)

Edited by unforgettableu2

4 hours ago, mcmastermike77 said:

No, you're absolutely right. It's not the best thing since Achtung Baby! That's the beer, anticipation and the will for it to be the best album in the world talking. But excusing my excitement to join in with the celebration, which I've missed, I love the groove of the album and the uplifting energy. Previous comment redacted. (Still enjoying the album though and it could be the best since...)

Jumping in with "best since" HTDAAB. Why? Simple... I very much LIKED the past two albums but this one, unlike those, is constantly leaving songs behind in my head... And not just the singles/possible singles.  Atomic Bomb was the last to do that.  Love Is All We Have Left, Little Things, and especially 13 = Absolute brilliance. I'll happily rock out to The Blackout any day.... And The Showman is entirely unlike anything they've ever done before.  Weak spot? I'm not a big fan of the dance remix of Best Thing that made it to the deluxe album. That's it.  Sure time will tell if this take holds up... But for now the only albums I put ahead of the one are (In MY preferred order) AB, JT, HTDAAB, and ATYCLB. I like it THAT much.

39 minutes ago, danknapp said:

Jumping in with "best since" HTDAAB. Why? Simple... I very much LIKED the past two albums but this one, unlike those, is constantly leaving songs behind in my head... And not just the singles/possible singles.  Atomic Bomb was the last to do that.  Love Is All We Have Left, Little Things, and especially 13 = Absolute brilliance. I'll happily rock out to The Blackout any day.... And The Showman is entirely unlike anything they've ever done before.  Weak spot? I'm not a big fan of the dance remix of Best Thing that made it to the deluxe album. That's it.  Sure time will tell if this take holds up... But for now the only albums I put ahead of the one are (In MY preferred order) AB, JT, HTDAAB, and ATYCLB. I like it THAT much.

so interesting.....art is so incredibly subjective. Is there a right or wrong? What is truth.....or redeemed art or trash? These questions have always plagued me..

Especially with U2......who has always ranked the status as the best band in the world..... still selling out the biggest concert tour of all time/record....yet remains on the fringe.

Loved or hated.....No in-between...notice that?

The dichotomy of U2.....united.....but separate from the world. Sells arenas....yet feels intimate..like "you" the individual matters as much as the united whole.

I can't rank u2 albums......because  each has something to teach, reflect or profoundly inspire. Do I gravitate to certain albums....sure.....but, I find each album has  some amazing songs.

SOE i'm still getting to know, explore......unraveling the layers of sounds.....

I am not sure if it will make history or be just another u2 album with  a few great songs.

Edited by unforgettableu2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, yardie said:

Heartland, and Edge sliding down the banks of the Mississippi on his arse. Nice.

Thumb a lift there Edge