This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, badsilver said:

How did this all turn into a goodbye album? . No one can perform or write or bleed for you like they did in their 20s and 30s. This is their experience album - not their I'm hungry and have a hell of a lot to say album of their 20s. 

I concur.  It's also a very political album.  I love, love, love that you call it an album and not a download or something of the sort.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm tending to agree. I recall in my late teens - this band released 'The Joshua Tree'. I recall hearing the first single lifted off the album - it was called 'With or Without You' (i know you know),

Lifelong fan and I can’t stop with the new songs. All of them are very solid. Blackout is fantastic so is Get out of your own way  into American Soul. Put in the amazing The Little Things That Give Yo

Any honest opinion is obviously legitimate , but one aspect of this album which I think is undeniable, is that it is an incredibly thoughtful album. It's incredibly honest, nuanced in some metaph

Posted Images

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, omnivox said:

U2 will never be able to make albums like The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby again.

You've every right to your opinion but how do you know they will never make albums like the above?  Also, why would they make albums like the above as they'd be repeating history.  I think they've already made albums which are great; Songs of Innocence being a very good example.  The beauty of all this is that we can respectfully disagree.

5 hours ago, omnivox said:

Just like Simple Minds will never repeat New Gold Dream, Depeche Mode will never repeat Violator / Songs of Faith and Devotion and The Cure will never repeat Disintegration, ..

Have you heard, Good News From the Next World, by Simple Minds?  Hypnotized and And The Band Played One are two of their best songs ever.  The whole album is good and, in my opinion, better than anything they've done. 

Disintegration is a masterpiece.  I thought Wish was a great way to follow it.  I also loved Wild Mood Swings.

Great bands don't repeat; they change and evolve.  It's never going to be the same.  Again, the beauty of this is that we can respectfully disagree.  It's interesting that you stop with Achtung Baby and do not include Zooropa, which I think is one of their best albums and they go together so well.  mho

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
9 hours ago, newsman said:

Some media suggested this looked like a goodbye album... I really hope it is! 

Who cares what the media suggests or thinks?   This is Zootopia.  We are the experts, not some critic who thinks the best song ever is literally The Best Song Ever by One Direction.  The album has only been out for three days.  Do you really hope it is their goodbye album?  If so, why bother?  j/k

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

Now you're thinking straight lin!

Artist gets paid, You keep people employed (while we all still cling to money and jobs...ugh.) AND you get the record on release day!

It's an old fashioned pleasure to go say 'Hi' to someone at midnight and exchange money for a product. Tell them you don't need a bag and wave it over your head while you walk out of the store!

:)

I'll be up with sun...cause I'm already gone.

Edited by razspazz
  • Like 2
  • Subscriber
14 hours ago, Rich T. said:

My pattern with U2 for many years has been to give a listen to each new collection of songs, think "meh, couldn't they have put out anything better?", then force myself to keep listening until I think the songs are fantastic, upon which I find myself pressed up against the rail to two consecutive shows, transported to a higher plane through the new songs.  I expect it to hold true this time, even though I'm actually only listening to the album for the first time right now, and thinking "meh, these are just any old songs that anyone could have knocked out without much effort".  Such is my strange relationship with U2 and their music.  And I've been going to their shows since The Unforgettable Fire tour.

I couldn’t have said it better, Rich T.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Manohlive said:

You've every right to your opinion but how do you know they will never make albums like the above?  Also, why would they make albums like the above as they'd be repeating history.  I think they've already made albums which are great; Songs of Innocence being a very good example.  The beauty of all this is that we can respectfully disagree.

You have a good point. I did not word my thought properly. I was trying point out that to expect U2 to create an album that sounds like those mentioned would be a disservice to the band as well as the fans. Why would we want any band to stick to 1 formula or sound for all of time? I did not leave off Zooropa or others for any reason particular save that they may not have been as "big" or popular in general. Zooropa is one of my favorites and I listen to it frequently, especially on night drives in the GTI. Again, one of the reasons U2 have done so well for so long is their ability to remain relevant in the current musical environment. Not to mention they stay on the pulse of the times.

If you look at my post I was responding to a quote which included the words on Simple Minds and others, those were not my words. If I recall I pointed out the way their sound/albums evolve over time.

BTW, I recently discovered the rest of the Simple Minds catalog (beyond Dont Forget About Me). They have been a daily listen for a while. :D

Edited by omnivox
  • Subscriber

The way I see it, this band is in an unprecedented position.  There is no benchmark.  How many bands have been around for this long, generating new material that really does span generations?  This is possibly why they are so polarizing.  I also find that depending on the stage of my life, the albums have different meaning to me - and that is cool.  There is nothing wrong with being your own influence (as opposed to recycling ideas) in order to break new ground. I believe we all do that.

The whole concept of an album is different nowadays, as is our way of experiencing them (I used to have to fight my mother and sisters for the turntable in the eighties).  A lot of bands sell collections of songs and some sell albums - I prefer the albums and this band consistently puts them out. SoE is a good-un for me.   

Edited by brendo1704
  • Like 3
  • Brilliant 1
  • Subscriber
6 hours ago, Manohlive said:

You did not like Zooropa?   You did NOT buy Pop??????????    That's blasphemy!!!!   j/k    What should we do....banish her or make her sign up for a verified fan due to a non purchase of Pop?   I say the latter!   

I'm just joking, of course.  I loved Zooropa.  I still do.  I still want to hear Dirty Day and Daddy's Gonna Pay live more than I can express.  Now that you are back into the band...you may want to delve into their post Pop (AND POP) material for another listen.  They've put out a lot of great stuff.  You may have been over them at the time and hear the music quite differently now that you are back into U2. Please is an amazing song and it's on Pop.  I would suggest watching the video and listening to it.  That song is as applicable today as it was back in the day.  SOI is one of my favorite of their cds.  I have not listened to SOE enough to voice my opinion quite yet.

I too committed blasphemy.  I've had a bad cold/flu bug.  I fell asleep listening to SOE, a new U2 cd, for the FIRST time.  My first listen and I zonked.  Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.  I'm sticking myself with my Pop pins, which I bought at the Pop show.  I've lost a fair amount of blood hoping I can be allowed back into the, 'U2 is the greatest band ever', club after committing such a heinous offense.

I liked Zooropa but it was really the beginning of the end for me. Pop was too far of a departure for me, and honestly I'd moved into other realms by the time it came out (NIN, Radiohead, etc). As someone else pointed out, mid-to-late 90s was especially cruel to some of my favorite 80s bands (The Cure, DM, etc).

I mostly wanted to provide some background and point out, that while I will always be an old school U2 is better fan, I have taken a great liking to this new album and can appreciate it for what it is. 

Also for the sake of clarity, I am a man LOL!

• bigwave unfeatured this topic