This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, brendo1704 said:

The way I see it, this band are in an unprecedented position.  There is no benchmark.  How many bands have been around for this long, generating new material that really does span generations?  This is possibly why they are so polarizing.  I also find that depending on the stage of my life, the albums have different meaning to me - and that is cool.  There is nothing wrong with being your own influence (as opposed to recycling ideas) in order to break new ground. I believe we all do that.

The whole concept of an album is different nowadays, as is our way of experiencing them (I used to have to fight my mother and sisters for the turntable in the eighties).  A lot of bands sell collections of songs and some sell albums - I prefer the albums and this band consistently puts them out. SoE is a good-un for me.   

^ What this dude said is on point.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm tending to agree. I recall in my late teens - this band released 'The Joshua Tree'. I recall hearing the first single lifted off the album - it was called 'With or Without You' (i know you know),

Lifelong fan and I can’t stop with the new songs. All of them are very solid. Blackout is fantastic so is Get out of your own way  into American Soul. Put in the amazing The Little Things That Give Yo

Any honest opinion is obviously legitimate , but one aspect of this album which I think is undeniable, is that it is an incredibly thoughtful album. It's incredibly honest, nuanced in some metaph

Posted Images

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, brendo1704 said:

The way I see it, this band is in an unprecedented position.  There is no benchmark.  How many bands have been around for this long, generating new material that really does span generations?  This is possibly why they are so polarizing.  I also find that depending on the stage of my life, the albums have different meaning to me - and that is cool.  There is nothing wrong with being your own influence (as opposed to recycling ideas) in order to break new ground. I believe we all do that.

The whole concept of an album is different nowadays, as is our way of experiencing them (I used to have to fight my mother and sisters for the turntable in the eighties).  A lot of bands sell collections of songs and some sell albums - I prefer the albums and this band consistently puts them out. SoE is a good-un for me.   

Well said. This album is really good. Over the decades, I have found something in every album that I love and I find it really cool that my 18 y/o-musicphile-daughter also loves this album.

• Subscriber

How many of you have received your email from Ticketmaster for either a download of CD of the album?....Am I missing something?....I don't see many people complaining, but I assume everyone is just streaming it like me.  Still in all, seems its just another Ticketmaster snafu..

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, omnivox said:

You have a good point. I did not word my thought properly. I was trying point out that to expect U2 to create an album that sounds like those mentioned would be a disservice to the band as well as the fans. Why would we want any band to stick to 1 formula or sound for all of time? I did not leave off Zooropa or others for any reason particular save that they may not have been as "big" or popular in general. Zooropa is one of my favorites and I listen to it frequently, especially on night drives in the GTI. Again, one of the reasons U2 have done so well for so long is their ability to remain relevant in the current musical environment. Not to mention they stay on the pulse of the times.

If you look at my post I was responding to a quote which included the words on Simple Minds and others, those were not my words. If I recall I pointed out the way their sound/albums evolve over time.

BTW, I recently discovered the rest of the Simple Minds catalog (beyond Dont Forget About Me). They have been a daily listen for a while. :D

It's all good.  I listened to Numb and cranked it earlier today.  It's a matter of what we like and don't like.  I hated One Direction but like Zayn's first cd.  Can I say that without being banished?    I'm excited about SOE.  I'm on my third listen and it's starting to click.  I did not like it the first listen.  These songs are gonna kick ass live.  Who else thinks The Blackout is gonna open the show?  It's my pick but who knows.  That is what I love about this band.

• Subscriber
Just now, Manohlive said:

BTW, I recently discovered the rest of the Simple Minds catalog (beyond Dont Forget About Me). They have been a daily listen for a while

I love, love, love the song, And the Band Played On. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, pirwin said:

A lot of bands sell collections of songs and some sell albums - I prefer the albums and this band consistently puts them out. SoE is a good-un for me.   

You make a very good point.  Springsteen is still doing it,  U2 seem to do as they please when they please and it pleases me.   I hope people are having better luck in the new presales.  I know Chicago II went on sale today.  That's my venue to see them.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Synj said:

Also for the sake of clarity, I am a man LOL!

That is very funny because I wondered as I drifted off to sleep, 'Was that person a guy?'.  I love being a doofus.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, omnivox said:

. I did not word my thought properly

If I had a buck for every time I've done the same thing online...I could probably treat all of Zootpia to a free ticket for this tour.  I am constantly regretting things I posted and did not think.  It's a bit of of a habit, unfortunately. :ph34r:

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, omnivox said:

BTW, I recently discovered the rest of the Simple Minds catalog (beyond Dont Forget About Me). They have been a daily listen for a while.

Why does one always hear, DYFAM, by Simple Minds when Alive and Ticking was also a number one hit in America? I love AAT, especially when the female starts in and that beat gets going again....goosebumps and still a frequent listen for me.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Subscriber
5 hours ago, smsully said:

How many of you have received your email from Ticketmaster for either a download of CD of the album?....Am I missing something?....I don't see many people complaining, but I assume everyone is just streaming it like me.  Still in all, seems its just another Ticketmaster snafu..

My cd is already in the mail and I have a tracking number.  You should get an email a couple days after you bought your ticket.  Yes, I am streaming it.  The cd arrives Monday, December 8, 2017.  I hope it's 2017...it is TM but they were pretty quick with me.

• bigwave unfeatured this topic