Sign in to follow this  
hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

22 hours ago, jmjmchip said:

Nevermind, found the short film on iTunes and I 100% recommend watching!

This one??

I could go into a lot of detail about what I like and dislike about this album, but I'll spare you, and just say this:

It's been a long time (like 15 years?) since I've found myself with NEW U2 songs stuck in my head (in a good way ;) ) and randomly singing their NEW songs to myself as I go about my day... but I actually am doing that with SOE. Thumbs up, U2. I think we fell out of sync for a while, but we're back in step with each other again!  :wub:

Thank you for this album!

7 hours ago, russpm said:

First listen I was disappointed, second listen not disappointed as much, third listen really growing on me. Don't listen to a stream or MP3 the quality just isn't good enough as its so compressed. Stick the vine l or CD on crank up the volume and it sounds better instantly.

Yes - I noticed this right away, especially on songs like "You're The Best Thing About Me" - the YouTube version was ok; the CD version blew me away!

Little Things and Blackout are just fine and oh, 13 is wonderful have been listening to it a couple of evenings now the song of the album I think

otherwise Desire... can be red Retire? :P

Edited by jaanakulo

On 11-12-2017 at 4:27 PM, unforgettableu2 said:

SOE is not a bad album by any means.....it's just too 'normal'....or predictable in sound.....in which the likes of 'unforgettable', Joshua tree, Rattle and hum, Achtung, zooropa & POP.....all had their distinct identity & genius whether you like it or not.....it was different.

SOE is not different, unique, pioneering or deferring in sound/identity. SOE is a homogenized collaboration or recycling of the existing U2 sound of the past 17 years.

Interesting to read on this forum about other peoples first reactions back in the eighties to classic albums like Joshua Tree etc. I can remember the first time I heard "With or Without You" on the radio. I thought they had sold out to a commercial sound. I didnt want to listen to the rest of the album and I didnt go to the concert. Worst decision I ever made and which I still regret. I couldnt have been more wrong. But I had yet to become a real U2 fan back then. And WHEN I truly started listening to the whole Joshua Tree album I did became a U2 fan for life...

As mentioned by many others and also by "unforgettableu2" the band U2 has a reputation of always trying to change their sound from album to album. I know that by now, but the PRODUCTION of THE SOUND of this album sounds too soft for my personal taste. I love U2 sounding lean and mean but at the same time keep preaching love.  Hard shell but with a heart of gold. Although I still have problems with this soft "boybandproduction" sound maybe I am wrong again and will the songs only come to life after some more weeks of listening....

I am curious HOW U2 will shape the live concerts with these new songs on SOE. Their BBC string version of All I Want is You (Gorgeous!) maybe is an hopeful indication that they will try to make a very intimate concert with acoustic instruments...

Bono and the Edge played "Get out of your own way" with just a guitar in the Berlin subway. It sounded great played live although I disliked the cd version of the very same song. That melody of "Get out of your own way" stayed in my mind the last days. And after hearing it live I COULD listen to the lesser cd version and appreciated it better. So there is hope.

I am on this forum because I am really big U2 fan. I really want to like this album because U2 has been the soundtrack of my whole adult life... I want them to fare well, I want them to excell. They didnt excell on the cd but they probably will when they perform the songs live. U2 always rocks live, even when they play a ballad. Rock is like Soul to me. You have it or you dont. U2 has always got SOUL and although I think the energy of this soul gets muddled by the boybandproduction sound of this cd I have good hope that the songs will SHINE live...

Edited by bettydalton

Hi everyone ,

I got the extra deluxe box set version , one standard Cd from USA , two deluxe cd from Europe of the new album .

When I read reviews about new album here I am sometimes shocked, because I think u2 made an epic album for the first  time since 1997 .

Great songs , great lyrics, great production , great cd, vinyl , deluxe cd , extra deluxe version package .

Come on guys are you kidding me ?

Have a little faith for this album , let yourselves go and swim in the new sound ...

10/10

8 hours ago, bettydalton said:

Interesting to read on this forum about other peoples first reactions back in the eighties to classic albums like Joshua Tree etc. I can remember the first time I heard "With or Without You" on the radio. I thought they had sold out to a commercial sound. I didnt want to listen to the rest of the album and I didnt go to the concert. Worst decision I ever made and which I still regret. I couldnt have been more wrong. But I had yet to become a real U2 fan back then. And WHEN I truly started listening to the whole Joshua Tree album I did became a U2 fan for life...

As mentioned by many others and also by "unforgettableu2" the band U2 has a reputation of always trying to change their sound from album to album. I know that by now, but the PRODUCTION of THE SOUND of this album sounds too soft for my personal taste. I love U2 sounding lean and mean but at the same time keep preaching love.  Hard shell but with a heart of gold. Although I still have problems with this soft "boybandproduction" sound maybe I am wrong again and will the songs only come to life after some more weeks of listening....

I am curious HOW U2 will shape the live concerts with these new songs on SOE. Their BBC string version of All I Want is You (Gorgeous!) maybe is an hopeful indication that they will try to make a very intimate concert with acoustic instruments...

Bono and the Edge played "Get out of your own way" with just a guitar in the Berlin subway. It sounded great played live although I disliked the cd version of the very same song. That melody of "Get out of your own way" stayed in my mind the last days. And after hearing it live I COULD listen to the lesser cd version and appreciated it better. So there is hope.

I am on this forum because I am really big U2 fan. I really want to like this album because U2 has been the soundtrack of my whole adult life... I want them to fare well, I want them to excell. They didnt excell on the cd but they probably will when they perform the songs live. U2 always rocks live, even when they play a ballad. Rock is like Soul to me. You have it or you dont. U2 has always got SOUL and although I think the energy of this soul gets muddled by the boybandproduction sound of this cd I have good hope that the songs will SHINE live...

Betty Dalton....

I love your user name.....clever....;)

You know....some of your exact words have invaded my mind like the plague.

As a fan since 1983.....I have never wavered my commitment and attachment to U2's music. I've had 'doubts' or times of questioning in their artistic transitions/experiments......but, U2 have remained my only favorite band for 34 years.

U2 is always miles ahead of the game.....visionary.....and I respect this most about them as artists.

Like you Betty, I question myself this time around.....wondering if I haven't caught up to their genius yet, like in the past. But no....this time it is different.....

This album has some star feature songs (lights of home, red flag, American soul, Black out, little things give you away & love is bigger than anything in its way).....but, as a whole.....it's not the full potential or even a pinky finger 'scale' of what u2 is capable of. I find myself singing these focal songs in the shower or even shopping in the store(not fully cognitive, until I'm singing a little too loud:o). So this album must be doing something right to elicit this type of excitement.  Like I said, it's a good album......for sure.....but, we've heard this from U2 before....and I am craving a revolution from U2...and I know they have it in them....they haven't tapped into their full spectrum of capabilities.....and I will be patient/wait until they find it.....

I'm not ashamed to say it...if anything, true fans will be honest and objective. I can't say I've ever been this sure before.....but, I know what I know. Collaboratively, U2 has put out some amazing songs in recent years....some really well crafted genius......but, the 'synergized' whole is missing....at least for the type of quality and caliber that U2 is capable of. U2's worst is most artists best......that is a difficult precedent to sustain as long as they have.

U2 is the most extraordinary live band.....they are the Gospel of Rock....They possess the soul with their transcendent music.....like no other.

I am curious what creative direction they will take with these new songs.....and no doubt breathe a new life/spirit in them.....

U2  Live takes their studio albums and animates the lyrics/sounds......into three dimensional, physical form.

I have no doubt this concert will be as amazing as all the others.....U2 never fails live.....if anything.....it makes them stronger and their music/message more vital in meaning/context.

Edited by unforgettableu2

I think for those discussing new sound - or lack of it, you are missing some of the fantastic new sounds on this album. I think the guitar compression  on the verse elements of  'American Soul' is a truly new sound and a fantastic track. Together with the thumping base drum tones and Clayton bass - it's worth the price of the cd alone.

I never like to get too precious about stuff like this though as to whether it be, or whether it not be my reason to continue to like or dis-own a band. U2's just in me. They got into me when I was about 13, and next year I'm almost as old as U2 but not quite.

I stand by this album. It's a super piece of work. These guys still excite 'live' too - in fact, SOI was arguably a better live show than JT30 - maybe the indoor effect. Point being - never drop a band that still mixes it up, and still puts out great music.

Two weeks in and I'm still finding 'things' in some of the tracks, 'things' I relate to me and my relationship with U2's music and subsequent correlation to life events or thoughts or whatever it may be. Music is so personal and so selective and so disposable.

There's a risk that some of U2's past work has been over rated to the detriment of what they are currently producing? For example POP. One of my favourite U2 tracks is 'Do You Feel Loved' - as for the rest of that album ('God Will Send his Angels' & 'Please' aside), I could forego it's existence.

It's all about personal opinion. Rock on U2, Rock on ...rock on.....rock on.

• Like 2

Checking in to say I love the album. The individual song releases didn't work for me. A couple of the songs still don't entirely work for me.  That said, some of U2's stuff have been growers for me. I anticipate the same will happen here. I had my own issues with certain things but made peace with it. I enjoyed the album much better as a whole. I found it to be a journey and listening from beginning to end was the perfect way to experience it. I certainly understand why some aren't happy with the production but to each their own. Play what you like and put away what you don't. I find if I don't pay too much attention to the details I enjoy it more & I enjoy them more.

Copying and pasting what I wrote on one of the home page news articles:

I'm loving the album. Lots of gems and thought-prevoking lyrics. Thank you U2 & co for another fantastic album. Favorite songs so far - Love is all we have left, Summer of love, The little things that give you away, Landlady, & 13 (There is a light). Cant wait until you tour my way. Love you U2!

Looking forward to hearing these played live at the concert I'm attending.

:u2-1383:

Edited by Shannon387
  • Like 1