Sign in to follow this  
hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

Personally i think SOI is a far stronger album than SOE . I find a few songs on SOE quite boring and some just too poppy. Little Things, The Blackout and Red Flag Day are the best tracks for me, other songs don't really resonate with me. Usually i listen to a new U2 album and can't wait to play it again but that is not happening with this album. Hopefully in time it will grow on me, just don't think it will. Hopefully on the next album they won't worry about having hits and make amazing music they are still capable of. If the album grows on me i will write another review! 

On 17/12/2017 at 3:42 PM, jaanakulo said:

Great to see many really can like this album even love well I love them as a bunch of guys and a great band in the eye of eternity but this album like the previous is just not at all my cup of tea. Little Things is the only real song (+ 13) and how funny, it is originally from All That You Cant Leave Behind -days. Otherwise Bono sounds utterly sadly a bit fake I mean the 1st song wtf?! is that and the lyrics and how he tries and tries but... and the sound of the album is just no good. Have not bought their records After No Line in Horizon and even though last night in tears watching The Joshua Tree tour 17 in Dublin (why, cos I kinda love them as a bunch of professionals and personalities and the path I loved the music too they produced. And the crowd:wub: ) I am no more very interested of this kind of stuff and sound they bring out. And I am not sure if they really are either. 

I have to agree with you im afraid to say. Apart from a few songs i just can't get into this album. They should stop worrying about being played on the radio and just make amazing stuff i know they are still capable of. They just sound like any other band with half of the songs on SOE. The first song should never be the opener and the last song along with a couple of others are just not good enough im afraid. 

On 16/12/2017 at 7:22 PM, unforgettableu2 said:

JCF,

No need to apologize....you didn't misinterpret my words, you intuitively sensed some accurate contention about the new album in my commentary.

Thanks for your explanation about SOI, and some of your described'discourse' for it. 

This is a very hard subject matter to decipher and articulate.....and if we could 'identify' why some art magically reaches the heart/soul effortlessly and other works do not.....that would be a million dollar thesis.

One thing I do know....is if it was created with authentic spirit/purpose from the original artist....that is all that matters.

The other million dollar question is........does U2 truly like ALL their work? I think what hurts them the most....is when they really like what they have created....and it is misunderstood/devalued by others.

Get what I mean, JCF? I think Rattle and hum.....is one of those artistic endeavors, that they really enjoyed and expanded their creative palette....but was widely criticized/misunderstood. I was one of the few fans, that loved Rattle and hum.....and understood their intentions with making it. Same with "POP"....that record has some brilliant sounds....that I think the band liked....and yet, was not given merit for their experimental efforts.

I am also one of the few U2 fans that really do not like  songs "vertigo"(my least favorite), "beautiful day"  or "elevation" as much as the mass population did. Doesn't mean I don't think they are bad or not valid....they just don't speak to my heart....like other u2 songs.....that may have been given zero acknowledgment that are far better musical pieces of craftmanship. Get on your boots...may have been different....if Bono took out that title/lyrics....and replaced it with something more meaningful and less shallow. But, I believe that was his point....and the irony of the song.(it didn't translate well & was taken literally).

My ear tends to gravitate to a more complex texture and collaboration of lyrics/music.....not one or the other.....does that make sense?

It's like sex......There is the mechanical/biological aspect of it for mere procreation or just the physical gratification of it.....but when it's coupled with "love" it becomes a  a complete spiritual union. This is the only metaphoric analogy I can describe that makes me love one U2 song more than another.

Does age make a difference in creating art/music from a genius, awe inspiring place? Maybe?????

When we are young.....and less inhibited......the mind is a open canvas.....willing to take risks......that an older person may be too cautious to explore.(due to past experiences/cause-effect/ known consequences).

Was Achtung Baby/Zooropa born from this place? A turning point in shaping their current sound....that will forever be a template in their creative influence? 

Only U2 can answer that.....but, I think every Artist has their( 'Achtung Baby' moment, at different success scales, of course).....and always wants to recapture that element of genius,...not necessarily the same collection of ideas. ART always begins with a idea.....and how original/innovative that "idea" is....may determine it's success dependent on how original it is in contrast to the norm.

YET...... some artists can be so visionary.....that it is too complex/innovative for it's cultural norms/time. SOE is not this.....and I wish that is what the problem was.....but, it's not weird enough for me....but, for many,....that is why they like it. Safe & predictable.....

Safe and predictable is definitely the problem with SOE. Let other bands do that. 

5 hours ago, willo66 said:

Little Things, The Blackout and Red Flag Day are the best tracks for me

For me as well.  And someone wrote that Little Things was actually a song originally written during All That You Can't Leave Behind.   Book of Your Heart is a good final song, but is not officially part of the album.

Edited by Rich T.

On 12/16/2017 at 2:22 PM, unforgettableu2 said:

JCF,

No need to apologize....you didn't misinterpret my words, you intuitively sensed some accurate contention about the new album in my commentary.

Thanks for your explanation about SOI, and some of your described'discourse' for it. 

This is a very hard subject matter to decipher and articulate.....and if we could 'identify' why some art magically reaches the heart/soul effortlessly and other works do not.....that would be a million dollar thesis.

One thing I do know....is if it was created with authentic spirit/purpose from the original artist....that is all that matters.

The other million dollar question is........does U2 truly like ALL their work? I think what hurts them the most....is when they really like what they have created....and it is misunderstood/devalued by others.

Get what I mean, JCF? I think Rattle and hum.....is one of those artistic endeavors, that they really enjoyed and expanded their creative palette....but was widely criticized/misunderstood. I was one of the few fans, that loved Rattle and hum.....and understood their intentions with making it. Same with "POP"....that record has some brilliant sounds....that I think the band liked....and yet, was not given merit for their experimental efforts.

I am also one of the few U2 fans that really do not like  songs "vertigo"(my least favorite), "beautiful day"  or "elevation" as much as the mass population did. Doesn't mean I don't think they are bad or not valid....they just don't speak to my heart....like other u2 songs.....that may have been given zero acknowledgment that are far better musical pieces of craftmanship. Get on your boots...may have been different....if Bono took out that title/lyrics....and replaced it with something more meaningful and less shallow. But, I believe that was his point....and the irony of the song.(it didn't translate well & was taken literally).

My ear tends to gravitate to a more complex texture and collaboration of lyrics/music.....not one or the other.....does that make sense?

It's like sex......There is the mechanical/biological aspect of it for mere procreation or just the physical gratification of it.....but when it's coupled with "love" it becomes a  a complete spiritual union. This is the only metaphoric analogy I can describe that makes me love one U2 song more than another.

Does age make a difference in creating art/music from a genius, awe inspiring place? Maybe?????

When we are young.....and less inhibited......the mind is a open canvas.....willing to take risks......that an older person may be too cautious to explore.(due to past experiences/cause-effect/ known consequences).

Was Achtung Baby/Zooropa born from this place? A turning point in shaping their current sound....that will forever be a template in their creative influence? 

Only U2 can answer that.....but, I think every Artist has their( 'Achtung Baby' moment, at different success scales, of course).....and always wants to recapture that element of genius,...not necessarily the same collection of ideas. ART always begins with a idea.....and how original/innovative that "idea" is....may determine it's success dependent on how original it is in contrast to the norm.

YET...... some artists can be so visionary.....that it is too complex/innovative for it's cultural norms/time. SOE is not this.....and I wish that is what the problem was.....but, it's not weird enough for me....but, for many,....that is why they like it. Safe & predictable.....

I wonder if they have more "Passengers" albums in them. Pure experimental stuff...I remember Adam saying something in an interview once about maybe one day just making music for themselves and the fans, not aiming for relevance and radio play.  Anyway, I'm still pleasantly surprised at how much I love SOE. I wasn't expecting to, so I'm so glad I love it. I totally understand yours and others' critiques of it, they make sense. Luckily I just love the music, the sound, the lyrics, on this album so the critiques don't get in the way for me!  I can't wait to see the shows live. 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 9:09 PM, JCF said:

I wonder if they have more "Passengers" albums in them. Pure experimental stuff...I remember Adam saying something in an interview once about maybe one day just making music for themselves and the fans, not aiming for relevance and radio play.  Anyway, I'm still pleasantly surprised at how much I love SOE. I wasn't expecting to, so I'm so glad I love it. I totally understand yours and others' critiques of it, they make sense. Luckily I just love the music, the sound, the lyrics, on this album so the critiques don't get in the way for me!  I can't wait to see the shows live. 

JCF...

I play the album multiple times a day. And like you, I do like the album & lyrics,too. And also like you.....I never care what the critics think, either......

I base my love for their music.....from my own perspective! Like ALL u2 albums....the more I listen.....the more "in love" I become/committed. Much like the natural course of a human relationship....it evolves with time. Oddly, u2 albums get better and better with time....not worse.....like most songs.

Passengers was really cool stuff.....and I think if they let themselves be creatively "free'' and uninhibited like that.....the  intuitive genius in them will naturally flow......

Edited by unforgettableu2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, willo66 said:

Safe and predictable is definitely the problem with SOE. Let other bands do that. 

Yes willo66....let other bands do safe/predictable .....and there are SO MANY that can fulfill those shoes.....

SOE is a "good"  album.....and has some "good" songs.....but, U2 has never been just a "good"  band producing "good" songs....

U2 is a excellent band....whom most always produces/creates excellence......

LOVE this new album!!! Best since How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.  No question.  Nearly every song is a home run. Hard to pick a favorite.  But, The Showman is good (a real pop song).  So too Red Flag Day, American Soul, The Little Things, You're the Best Thing, Love is Bigger, and a few others.  (-:  Took me a few listens for all the songs to grow on me, but grow they did.  Some, like The Showman, American Soul, The Little Things and You're the Best Thing, have great hooks that made an immediate impact.  But the others really grew on me.  I've been listening to it for the past three days, over and over.  Really love it!!!!!  Amazing.  Can't wait to see them in LA!!!!

Book Of Your Heart, 13, Little Things - U2 as raw and sincere as they can nowadays. Happy with these three out of thirteen (too many I could not listen to through after 20 seconds) but yes, I think I still can follow them -  but just a bit! - cos of those three. B)

• Like 1

Ah... The bands live performance of Love is Bigger than... aired on BBC tonight... nothing short of wonderful. 

What a feckin great great band. 

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1