This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

hope3702

• Subscriber

I'll have to be honest, I've been with the guys since Boy but when I first heard the first group of songs released I thought that if this was coming from just about any other band it would be really good but coming from U2 it seemed like they were trying to get back on the I Heart radio show which isn't exactly filled with the deepest of artists. Now after hearing all of SOE track by track I'm really getting more and more pumped up about it and praying I get a chance to hear these songs live. Not sure if it just took time to warm up to(like a number of my favorite albums) or if it put's them more in context. Either way is fine with me.

• Subscriber

A good U2 album is better than most music act's best albums. SOE is a good U2 album and a definite step up from SOI 

After  5 listens for me the truth in the reviews about SOE lies somewhere in the middle. Its not U2's greatest work as some claim. Independent reviews on other sites are calling it weak and terrible. The writers may need to get there ears checked. It's a very solid and intelligent piece of work and one of U2's better albums.The best song on the deluxe edition for me  is one of the extras 'Book of Your Heart' superb . The Blackout and American Soul remind of U2 Zoo era and are great tracks. Little Things That Give You Away is the 2nd best track on this album. Your the best thing about me will be a stadium favourite for sure. 

Landlady is one of the tracks that has already grown on me after initially thinking wtf :)

Summer of Love, Get out of your own way , Love is all we have left and love is Bigger than Anything in its Way , is the band taking the mainstream pop route 

Red Flag Day reminds of raw U2 early 80s

Lights of Home and The Showman I think are the weakest tracks and I would have replaced Book of Your Heart with one of these tracks in the main collection. 

As others have stated I believe U2 produces better B Side tracks and side projects  than most acts produce album tracks eg Book of Your Heart, Hands That Built America Ms Sarajevo, Ground Beneath Her Feet, Ordinary Love, 

Stateless, Electrical Storm, Crystal Ballroom, Lucifer's Hands to name a few 

AB and JT are U2's greatest albums. 

For me, SOE comes in the next group with TUF and HTDAAB

Edited by GeorgeM_11

• Subscriber

Well postman hasn't been yet, so haven't managed to crank up the decibels in the car yet (yup, still young at heart.) However, couple of run throughs on Spotify and think as an album this is pieced together pretty damn good. Not sure about 'love is all....' as an opener, something a bit more punchier for me would have worked better, but in the fullness of time I'm sure there'll be a reason. A minor personal critique. Think the rest is just bang on the money. 'Get out of your own way' into 'American Soul' a real highlight with the later really growing into a superb track. Call me old fashioned, but I just love a good old fashioned big U2 tune and with 'Love is bigger....'.... well, I'm already singing (or wailing morelike) that one in the shower earlier!! That's just my initial thoughts. Thanks for the music U2. 

• Like 1

• Subscriber

OMFG I AM LOVING THIS!!!! Quality work.  Not sure about American Soul yet, it's growing on me.  Get Out Of Your Own Way makes me cry because it reminds me of my BFF that is across the otherside of the world, The Blackout is freaking awesome.  I could go on, it's all so goooooood.  Got it on through the headphones right now and it's even better.

• Like 1

• Subscriber

As much as I love them I've been really critical about this band the last two years. With that said I just listened to the album four times over the course of two hours and I have to be honest, I think his is the best collection of songs in over 20 years. 

Every song flies. Even ATYCLB had clunkers (looking at you, "When I Look at the World"). I don't think there is one one here. Amazing record! 

• Subscriber

Working away here listening on repeat.  I'm with those who are somewhere on the positive side of middle:-)  Some crackers: Lights of home, Blackout, Little things and what about The Showman for a crazy little throwback?!  I have a real aversion to Earnest Bono (give me pain, joy, confusion, paradox but not earnest!) so Love is all we have left, Red flag day and Summer of love just grate on my ears.  Delighted to be listening! 

• bigwave unfeatured this topic