Sign in to follow this  
hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

On 02/12/2017 at 1:32 AM, leilanie said:

I think Pop has finally been replaced as U2 weakest album. It is now sadly SOE.

I keep changing my mind on SOE. Firstly i thought it was just ok and in parts a bit boring, then with more listens parts started to grow on me. Having listened more i think its just a good album and nothing more. As Bono says, good is the enemy of great. Its certainly not rock n roll. The best song is The Little Things which i think is great. The Blackout is very good but for me there isn't enough songs that i want to listen to again and again. I prefer SOI which i think got a raw deal because of the apple i tunes debacle. Too many songs about the same subjects these days for me. 

So THE wEST cOAST is Syria...not California, not Ireland....but Syria. Ok, I get that now.

This band are ...just are.

Not a bad song on SOE. Every day a different tune off the album sticks in my head. Songwriting at its Best with serious issues. U2 continues to amaze!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 3:13 PM, yardie said:

Love the way they ignite the lightbulbs on this performance akind to the big lightbulb Bono swung over his head on the opening live tracks during the 'Innocence' Tour.  A definite connection for me between the two albums. 

Thank you for sharing, Yardie.

On 27/12/2017 at 9:11 PM, ThegirlwiththeLomontattoo said:

My favourite track so far is "Red Flag day" - minus the political bit :(

As Bono himself said "Singers are the last people you should listen to when they're not singing" 

I love Red Flag Day. I like most of the 2nd half of the album. when I read your post I had to look at he lyrics.

are you talking about the middle 8 where he says something about watching the News and many lost in the water?

Ok so the more I hear The Showman, admittedly my least fav track (sorry B.), the more I agree w/ whomever said it sounds like an inside joke between Bono & Ryan Tedder. I dont know where I read that but I laughed because I agree. I couldnt nail down why I didnt really like this track but I think that may be it. It sounds like the two of them are having a laugh at my (any random fan) expense.

He says its about lead singers putting on a show but one or two lines sounds like they could also be interpreted as a dig at the audience. 

‘Oh you dont care but you know Im there’ 

I believe this was supposed to have been a funny song but I guess I didnt get the joke. 

To end positively... still enjoying most of the album. 

Edited by Shannon387

Listening to it now in full and must say it's a huge disappointment. Apart from Blackout I don't like any of it.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:13 PM, ronnievox said:

Can't stop listening to Songs of Experience. Life long fan and I believe it is their best since Achtung Baby!

Agreed best work since AB, still don't skip tracks, Red Flag Day, Little Things and Lights of Home are absolute classic tracks which will still be strong in 20 years time, aka One, Streets, Pride, WOWY etc.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

Ok so the more I hear The Showman, admittedly my least fav track (sorry B.), the more I agree w/ whomever said it sounds like an inside joke between Bono & Ryan Tedder. I dont know where I read that but I laughed because I agree. I couldnt nail down why I didnt really like this track but I think that may be it. It sounds like the two of them are having a laugh at my (any random fan) expense.

He says its about lead singers putting on a show but one or two lines sounds like they could also be interpreted as a dig at the audience. 

‘Oh you dont care but you know Im there’ 

I believe this was supposed to have been a funny song but I guess I didnt get the joke. 

To end positively... still enjoying most of the album. 

Hi Shannon....

SOE is something  I can't really define.....the songs are crafted from a very  familiar sound/place..... and yet,..... something so foreign.....almost like a step child has entered into a existing family photo. Does that make sense???:huh:

The showman has a Roy Orbison feel.....with  Bono's sarcasm/whit and cryptic inflection.....

Does the upbeat tone work in contrast......? I think this dissonance is the 'poetry' Bono was attempting to illustrate.

I like the way Bono sings it...with a sexy, sultry bastard tone.......self-reflecting, self- imposing and  a mockery of himself.

Bono is taking stabs at himself.....and his "unlabored" profession....after all.....the whole shallow nature of  being a rockstar.  A profession by tradition filled with excess and ego....yet, Bono/the band has crafted a image of sincerity, honesty, spirituality and 'importance' within this chosen medium.....

Bono has stated...being a rockstar is the best job....he'd do it, even if he wasn't paid.

Yet???? Bono knows what is the initial attraction to being a celebrity/rock star? There has to be a inner need/insecurity to be fulfilled......at the root of all his performances/preaching/teaching.....is a inner quest to be loved/valued and understood. Self-importance is the inner belly of all celebrities.....and the delicate balance between the performer/audience is interdependent....vital....and essential to coexist.

The performer/artist.....lives for the 'feedback'/reaction of the audience......it's the heart & blood relationship....without the other.....there is no relationship, purpose or 'life'.

Maybe you sense Bono's love and contempt for his fans/audience.....because he may doubt our reasons for following the band. For sure....not everyone who attends a U2 concert is there for the love of the music, the messages or for the band members, themselves. Some want to be shallowly entertained for a few hours, smoke some pot....and have some beer spilled on their shoes...;)

And, yet....their life blood.....their validation.......is evident with us core fans.......right here and now.......40 years later......

We may criticize.....but, we are still talking about them and their 'art/vision'......and keeping their dream alive......

• Brilliant 1