Jump to content

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem


Recommended Posts

  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Hi Shannon....

SOE is something  I can't really define.....the songs are crafted from a very  familiar sound/place..... and yet,..... something so foreign.....almost like a step child has entered into a existing family photo. Does that make sense???:huh:

.

Bono is taking stabs at himself.....and his "unlabored" profession....after all.....the whole shallow nature of  being a rockstar.  A profession by tradition filled with excess and ego....yet, Bono/the band has crafted a image of sincerity, honesty, spirituality and 'importance' within this chosen medium.....

Maybe you sense Bono's love and contempt for his fans/audience.....because he may doubt our reasons for following the band. For sure....not everyone who attends a U2 concert is there for the love of the music, the messages or for the band members, themselves. Some want to be shallowly entertained for a few hours, smoke some pot....and have some beer spilled on their shoes...;)

And, yet....their life blood.....their validation.......is evident with us core fans.......right here and now.......40 years later......

We may criticize.....but, we are still talking about them and their 'art/vision'......and keeping their dream alive......

A step child entering into a family photo... a good way of putting it. Id agree.

I do see Bono making fun of himself and attempting humor but I also sense he’s saying it to make a point. We as fans idolize this persona who is a larger than life version of himself.  Not his true self. 

I think he's also in a way making fun of the audience doubting our sincerity. He's making fun of himself showing a cartoon version of a singer and fans idolizing the singer. Looking at him but not really seeing him (ie, you see me but you dont really care).

I just started the latest season of Netflix Black Mirror and I can be guilty of thinking too much so thats where this came from...  There can be a certain toxicity to fandoms. We feel close to the artists creating the thing we love. These days we have the ability to practically speak to them via social media. Jump on twitter or here even and you see fans speaking their minds. It can turn toxic. Making demands of the artist to act a certain way, sound a certain way, be a certain way, etc. I distinctly remember a song request campaign on twitter the fans thought was fun but I think the band secretly hated. Im sensing that the real reason for this song to the fans is to say hey look musicians are artists and all of this is a performance. Stop taking everything so seriously and leave us be. You (the fan) cant possibly care about us. You dont even know us. They basically dont want to deal w our BS. I think artists are fine w fans as long as they know their place and act accordingly. Im sensing a negative view toward fans looking up to or idolizing them or anyone period and for the fan to beware.

The song is written from a singers perspective. I just didnt realize they can see things this way. The more I listen to it the more I feel like an idiot. I cant actually listen to it anymore. It sounds like an inside joke. 

In the end its just a song. Many seem to love this song and it doesnt really matter what I think. For my anxiety’s sake for the time being I’ll have to skip past it. Im just sorry he (or they) feel this way. 

At the risk of being placed on the undesirable fan full of bs list, wait... I think Im too late :wacko: I’ll make my exit from Zootopia. :ph34r: New Years goal for 2018, less social media, more real world. 

Thanks for your perspective. :) 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm tending to agree. I recall in my late teens - this band released 'The Joshua Tree'. I recall hearing the first single lifted off the album - it was called 'With or Without You' (i know you know),

Lifelong fan and I can’t stop with the new songs. All of them are very solid. Blackout is fantastic so is Get out of your own way  into American Soul. Put in the amazing The Little Things That Give Yo

Any honest opinion is obviously legitimate , but one aspect of this album which I think is undeniable, is that it is an incredibly thoughtful album. It's incredibly honest, nuanced in some metaph

Posted Images

  • Subscriber
12 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

A step child entering into a family photo... a good way of putting it. Id agree.

I do see Bono making fun of himself and attempting humor but I also sense he’s saying it to make a point. We as fans idolize this persona who is a larger than life version of himself.  Not his true self. 

I think he's also in a way making fun of the audience doubting our sincerity. He's making fun of himself showing a cartoon version of a singer and fans idolizing the singer. Looking at him but not really seeing him (ie, you see me but you dont really care).

I just started the latest season of Netflix Black Mirror and I can be guilty of thinking too much so thats where this came from...  There can be a certain toxicity to fandoms. We feel close to the artists creating the thing we love. These days we have the ability to practically speak to them via social media. Jump on twitter or here even and you see fans speaking their minds. It can turn toxic. Making demands of the artist to act a certain way, sound a certain way, be a certain way, etc. I distinctly remember a song request campaign on twitter the fans thought was fun but I think the band secretly hated. Im sensing that the real reason for this song to the fans is to say hey look musicians are artists and all of this is a performance. Stop taking everything so seriously and leave us be. You (the fan) cant possibly care about us. You dont even know us. They basically dont want to deal w our BS. I think artists are fine w fans as long as they know their place and act accordingly. Im sensing a negative view toward fans looking up to or idolizing them or anyone period and for the fan to beware.

The song is written from a singers perspective. I just didnt realize they can see things this way. The more I listen to it the more I feel like an idiot. I cant actually listen to it anymore. It sounds like an inside joke. 

In the end its just a song. Many seem to love this song and it doesnt really matter what I think. For my anxiety’s sake for the time being I’ll have to skip past it. Im just sorry he (or they) feel this way. 

At the risk of being placed on the undesirable fan full of bs list, wait... I think Im too late :wacko: I’ll make my exit from Zootopia. :ph34r: New Years goal for 2018, less social media, more real world. 

Thanks for your perspective. :) 

 

Shannon....

Great commentary....and thanks for your perspective as well. I really enjoyed reading it....for I read it a few times to digest/process the details in your thoughts. The root of all art.....in  any format/medium.....is in the  context of 'interpretation' of who views/acknowledges it. Even in your  conveyed, beautiful writing...is my  'interpretation'......and that is what art is all about......

Art/music/writing is a prism.....reflecting different thoughts/perspectives of the creator and the observer/interpreter. This relationship is unavoidable......and essential. Any artist who denies this....is lying or not self-aware of this inevitable love/hate bond.....especially between a rockstar/audience.

U2's name says it all....."U2" is a all encompassing word.....for performer/audience....no barriers....no boundaries......and essential feedback  for the creator and to be heard/validated for their creations......

Bono is the voice for himself and larry, Adam & Edge.....but the music/lyrics are also another character in this bond....for it is the art and the truth speaking for their souls.

The art/music is the only truth....really.....it is the animation of the conscience/subconscious mind/heart......

Bono/the band knows only the truth/meaning in their songs and lyrics......but, it doesn't diminish our individual interpretations.....in fact, I think they welcome it.

Do people/fans project our ideal selves on to our idols? For sure......but, in all fairness....we all project on others.....everyday. 

I think Bono/band know this.....and yet, this is the difficulty of being a celebrity. Hate/darkness is always around the light.....people want to worship or live vicariously through others. Reciprocally, people also want to hate/tear down the things they can't have or inspire to be......

The sinister aspect of celebrity and the dark relationship between a performer/audience.

Bono has entertained this concept both the  positive and negative aspects throughout their career....especially evident in Zooropa/Zootv tours....Macphisto/devil alter ego persona.

Maybe the interpretation of The Showman, can be taken a step farther.....in how God sees Bono's true self......always has.....despite his performances/alter egos....

God sees our true nature/path....despite the many masks we wear to conceal our pain, insecurities and low self-esteem. 

God sees the 'ugly' in all of us....yet doesn't 'care'.....because he unconditionally loves us for who we are.......

I think Bono explores the contrast between human/worldly definition of love and divine/perfect love....

And by the way, Shannon....I love the series Black Mirror.....I guess, I think to much as well.......:unsure:

 

Edited by unforgettableu2
  • Brilliant 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

Apologies if this has already been discussed and is immediately obvious to everyone else, but the guitar at the end of  TLTTGYA seems to incorporate "Is that All" (from October). Anyone else noticed this?  

 

Edited by brendo1704
typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, brendo1704 said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed and is immediately obvious to everyone else, but the guitar at the end of  TLTTGYA seems to incorporate "Is that All" (from October). Anyone else noticed this?  

 

Brendo....

I attempted to replay "Is That All"? in my head to search for similarities with TLTTGYA.......but failed, so then I played it......and I didn't find it to resonate the same.  I do hear a similar spiritual theme return in SOE....that was clearly evident in the October album.  A theme of who I am? What is my purpose? What does God want from me? I also hear unresolved anger,  sadness and emptiness caused by Iris's death and issues with how Bono's dad dealt with it. Maybe Bono went full circle with these very  emotions as a young man....now as a older middle aged man, who experience his own near death experience????

But, I honestly think of "BAD" every time I hear TLTTGYA......not the same sound....but just the way the song builds and spirals into this pressurized emotion being suppressed  by anxiety, pain and fear......that  suddenly bursts to reveal and expose all the truth that has been numb/desensitized for so long.

Edited by unforgettableu2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Brendo....

I attempted to replay "Is That All"? in my head to search for similarities with TLTTGYA.......but failed, so then I played it......and I didn't find it to resonate the same.  I do hear a similar spiritual theme return in SOE....that was clearly evident in the October album.  A theme of who I am? What is my purpose? What does God want from me? I also hear unresolved anger,  sadness and emptiness caused by Iris's death and issues with how Bono's dad dealt with it. Maybe Bono went full circle with these very  emotions as a young man....now as a older middle aged man, who experience his own near death experience????

But, I honestly think of "BAD" every time I hear TLTTGYA......not the same sound....but just the way the song builds and spirals into this pressurized emotion being suppressed  by anxiety, pain and fear......that  suddenly bursts to reveal and expose all the truth that has been numb/desensitized for so long.

It is just the guitar part at the end.  If I was a musician I could give you some chords I guess.  The sound of the guitar in the end, to me, sounds like the melody from is that all (is that aaaa-aaaa-aaaaalll".  

 

Yes...I am pretty much musical dufus.  Having said that I have great taste in music :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
10 hours ago, brendo1704 said:

It is just the guitar part at the end.  If I was a musician I could give you some chords I guess.  The sound of the guitar in the end, to me, sounds like the melody from is that all (is that aaaa-aaaa-aaaaalll".  

 

Yes...I am pretty much musical dufus.  Having said that I have great taste in music :)

 

brendo...

I didn't  intend to diminish your opinion or observation about comparing the similarity in sound between Is That All & TLTTGYA.....really....that wasn't my intention. I don't play a instrument, but, I do have a 'good ear' or memory for sounds. Just because I didn't hear it....doesn't mean I am right....by any stretch of the imagination!:D

Truthfully, U2  often utilizes the same 'chords'...and arranges them differently to create a new pattern of sounds.....kind of like the same letters create different 'words' arranged in a different order. ex. saw/was or ate/eat.

You probably have a good ear, better than many....and have picked up on this correlation of the same chords arranged in different patterns...but still the same chords!!!;)

Truthfully....I find myself attempting to place where have I heard that sound before...in which particular 'u2' song.....especially in SOE.....there is considerable overlapping in sounds. Its inevitable......especially after 40 years of making music.....its human nature to repeat what we re familiar with and know....even if its on a subconscious/subliminal level.....

 

 

Edited by unforgettableu2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

Can you imagine someone (like Bono) singing "Book of Your Heart" to you?!  Ultimate WOW!!!    He belts this one out with the same strength as in "Pride" in the days of the "Unforgettable Fire"....   I wonder if Ali ever sings back to him?!...  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

Any honest opinion is obviously legitimate , but one aspect of this album which I think is undeniable, is that it is an incredibly thoughtful album.

It's incredibly honest, nuanced in some metaphorical mis-directions and I suspect, likely written quickly.

Someone else here mentioned it seemed rushed. I think there is immense difference in rushing or pushing something out and being deeply inspired.

If you experienced those moments, you know how the words, actions, art...whatever it might be, just 'write' themselves. This is an age 50 something- WAR

There is such anguish and despair. There is hope, but its not naïve and may not be optimism per se. Just hope or a personal prayer possibly. It exists but isn't a guaranteed save.

 We all know the U2 character - esp Bono's, well enough after all these years to appreciate, the man has such deep soul and empathy - and evidently, is a tough enough dude to just go after those people or situations that cause so much harm.

I am loving it now. I didn't initially. But in knowing where these tunes come from and not getting any younger myself, we have to consider the message, don't let evil win in your community or in the world. Call it out. I couldn't agree more. And so I sing these songs ( privately in my car ! - if you heard my voice you would appreciate that ) and they become 4 dimensional. Cheers.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Brilliant 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
24 minutes ago, economicformula said:

Any honest opinion is obviously legitimate , but one aspect of this album which I think is undeniable, is that it is an incredibly thoughtful album.

It's incredibly honest, nuanced in some metaphorical mis-directions and I suspect, likely written quickly.

Someone else here mentioned it seemed rushed. I think there is immense difference in rushing or pushing something out and being deeply inspired.

If you experienced those moments, you know how the words, actions, art...whatever it might be, just 'write' themselves. This is an age 50 something- WAR

There is such anguish and despair. There is hope, but its not naïve and may not be optimism per se. Just hope or a personal prayer possibly. It exists but isn't a guaranteed save.

 We all know the U2 character - esp Bono's, well enough after all these years to appreciate, the man has such deep soul and empathy - and evidently, is a tough enough dude to just go after those people or situations that cause so much harm.

I am loving it now. I didn't initially. But in knowing where these tunes come from and not getting any younger myself, we have to consider the message, don't let evil win in your community or in the world. Call it out. I couldn't agree more. And so I sing these songs ( privately in my car ! - if you heard my voice you would appreciate that ) and they become 4 dimensional. Cheers.

Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:30 AM, BigBunny said:

I love Red Flag Day. I like most of the 2nd half of the album. when I read your post I had to look at he lyrics.

are you talking about the middle 8 where he says something about watching the News and many lost in the water?

Sorry, haven't been on here for a fortnight - didn't mean to ignore your question- Yes, this is what I meant.

Also, "The lights of Home" has really grown on me, "U2 at the BBC" helped as the performance of this song was just awesome.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • bigwave unfeatured this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...