This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

hope3702

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Comes wisdom if one has paid attention to life and the world around us.   I hope.  If not, I'm in for one heck of a crash.  :)

Heh, but It was a quote that line from our wise friend yardie. 

I like most of what I have read from you Manohlive so you are also a wise man. ?

But let us talk about Bono and the boys being wise. 

I join you otherwise on that crash. Ha!

• Like 1

• Subscriber

O.K. all. How many times have you heard this  "U2 are allright but their old stuff was better"   I have been listening to this shite for over 30 years now. People were saying this when the Joshua Tree was released. What I am trying to say is that any album , by any artist needs time to be listened to and settle in before any judgements are made. I accept that sometimes an album comes along once in a while that blows peoples socks off,but it is very,very rare. One day soi and soe will be the old stuff .

• Subscriber
On 09/02/2018 at 8:14 PM, dmway said:

I also think that both work well together - one of the things I like the most on SOE is that the song '13 (There Is A Light)' is a conscious variation-on-a-theme of 'Song For Someone' - if anyone were somehow in doubt that these two albums were meant to be taken as counterparts, this altered musical quotation would prove the point (beyond the nod to William Blake, that is).

Love it, love it, love it! :)

They are brother and sister ,a bit like UF and JT but more so.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Njord69 said:

Heh, but It was a quote that line from our wise friend yardie. 

I like most of what I have read from you Manohlive so you are also a wise man. ?

But let us talk about Bono and the boys being wise. 

I join you otherwise on that crash. Ha!

Good point.  SOE is a gem.  I need to learn to take another look at the subject of the thread.  I'm a writer and I'm writing all day long.  I shall do my best to stay on point in here as well.  My comment was meant to be funny, not wise. 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, zoodog1 said:

They are brother and sister ,a bit like UF and JT but more so.

Yes, I agree.

Actually, JT had two siblings: UF and R&H - yet, as with most literal and metaphorical "families", the two siblings themselves don't resemble each other very closely. :D And yet they have the same DNA in U2 themselves...

Who knew that U2 albums were tangible metaphors for life itself? (Well, obviously, all of us here do, but does the wider world always appreciate that? No - tragically no...)

• Like 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, dmway said:

Who knew that U2 albums were tangible metaphors for life itself? (Well, obviously, all of us here do, but does the wider world always appreciate that? No - tragically no...)

I really like what you said.  I like how you wrote it.  I like how you end it with a rhetorical yet literal question, only to answer it with an ampersand. How you did that comes across to me as very U2ish and quite apropos.  One of the things I love so much about this band is that I am aware of their numerous metaphors.  They make me think.  Then, I feel the groove and get so into it that I forget the message of the music as I'm feeling it organically.  A good example is Until The End of the World.  For the 360 tour...when Bono starts yelling, "Judas, Judas.", I was baffled.  I turned to my friend and asked, "Why the hell is he saying that?".   When The Edge starts the guitar riff...there's liftoff and I forget what the song is actually about.  I had not thought of its literal meaning for years.  I completely forgot.  In my grooving I started thinking about some person, at a party, that's dumping crap all over everyone.  That's what it meant to me.  Since 360-the literal meaning has returned and it's a kick ass song in a completely different manner even though it's the same.  That guitar riff remains.  I know I can look forward to it meaning something else, yet again, because it's one of the things that I think U2 does best.  I've never encountered this with another band in such a profound manner.

SOE-It's the Little Things and Landlady give me a similar feeling even though I've yet to discern their lyrical content.  It doesn't matter to me right now, so why not save it for later?   It's why I love SOE so much.  Some messages are obvious, however; it is such a multi-faceted gem that I'll be listening and discovering years from now.  imho.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Brilliant 2

• Subscriber
On 1/29/2018 at 5:17 PM, Manohlive said:

Are you going to see them this tour?  Maybe something will click when you hear the new songs live.  Maybe not.  As we know, music is subjective.  The thing I love the most on the new album is how they take the Beatitudes and play on them with the realities of today's world.  Fortunately, I love the new album.  I hope something good comes from it for you too. (pun is not intended but it works?  lol)

And there's my lack of patience again....i've listened to SOE about 20 times over the weekend and I'm slowly getting it.  There are so many echos of previous albums here.  Really, i see SOE as not just the boy's experience showing but their musical experience.  

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, rixchix said:

i see SOE as not just the boy's experience showing but their musical experience. 

I am very happy you are starting to enjoy it.  That does not mean I think because I enjoy it that it's good.  I'm happy you are receiving enjoyment.  Could you please, possibly, explain to me what you mean by what I've quoted?   I'd really like to know.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I am very happy you are starting to enjoy it.  That does not mean I think because I enjoy it that it's good.  I'm happy you are receiving enjoyment.  Could you please, possibly, explain to me what you mean by what I've quoted?   I'd really like to know.

I think the word 'experience' would naturally relate to their life experience...but, i think each song captures a certain sound from a previous album.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, rixchix said:

each song captures a certain sound from a previous album.

Cool.  Does Landlady remind you of anything previous?  I'd like to hear people's input. I don't hear any previous sound/music songs.  Am I missing past song(s)? 

Edited by Manohlive

• bigwave unfeatured this topic