This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

hope3702

• Subscriber

I had a drive last night.  I listened to SOE from start to finish. I had not realized that Landlady...in the end...when Bono starts singing...Every wave that broke me...is relating back to SOI and Every Breaking Wave.  I listen to music before I start paying attention to the intricacies of what it means.  I spoke of this before, as I like to feel it organically.  I'm now at the point where I am starting to hear more of SOE's lyrics as a whole.  It seems to me that the Every wave part is a whole song, in and of itself.  Lyrically, it could stand on its own, imho. For me, it's a very unexpected turn. It is not how I'd look or listen for the song to end.  It's almost as though he wrote a separate piece of verse and decided to weave it into the end of Landlady.  I see its shade of the past, yet it leads me somewhere. I also noticed that he sings...Space....Her place is where I found my parking space....  Huh?  'That's not very good lyrical content', was my first thought. 'Space is great; it takes me right up into it. Her place leads to a parking space?', I wondered. It made no sense. 'Why repeat space?  It should be Space....something something....and then place.  He shouldn't be repeating space.  He's a much better lyricist than that', the cock in me thought.  Then it dawned on me that Space IS her place.  The writer finds HIS place within, and parks his own self, because it's where he most wants to be. (that's my take, at this point, on those lyrics). Perhaps he wants me to question why he's repeating space. I've been floating in the melody and that incredible guitar sound/playing of Landlady. I never associated it with Every Breaking Wave until last evening. Besides the obvious SOI reference, it feels like it could be the middle of the beginning (Love is All) and the end (There Is A Light) of SOE. (for me)  I'm not sure why.  It's the same part of what I love so much about U2.  I hear Bono sing Roam...and then The Edge on guitar and I take off.  I've yet to sit and listen to Larry's drums or Adam's bass on this song.  I hear them, but I have not actually listened to them.  I shall. It does not matter, yet again, what any of this means because It'll dawn on me some time in the future. I can fall in love all over again. This song, and album, make my hair stand on end. I love it.

I also thought it was Rome, not Roam.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 3

What has happened to me with Songs of Experience is that I often wake up with an Experience song in my head. Right away, first thought in the morning is a U2 melody from their new album. It varies which one it is. I have never had that before. I like it. Start the day with a U2 song. As a toddler I used to sing songs after I had woken up, that's what my parents told me anyway, because I can't remember. But when I got older I rarely had a song in my head when I woke up. Untill this new release of Songs of Experience. Now my head is like a U2 jukebox every other morning. Lovely !

Manohlive you get intrigued by lyrics, but have you got special songs from which the lyrics keep stuck in your mind? I often have it with the openingstrack "Love is all we have left", which I didnt even like very much at the beginning, although it is changing now. But that line sticks in my head like glue. I love it. It is a great line.

Edited by bettydalton
  • Like 1

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, hillpy2 said:

I’d just like to state the fact that Larry Mullen is a Genius!  “Book of Your Heart,”... in that song, which I LOVE, I’m mesmerized by the drum work. All hail Larry!! Amen!

Yes! I really like his drum work in that song too. I can't think of another song where he plays a rhythm track quite like that.

Come to think of it, both Bono and The Edge sing and play (respectively) in an atypical way too - of course, Adam supports the other three brilliantly as he always does. :) As I wrote above, I still think it was the right decision to leave this song off of the regular album (IMHO, I don't know where one would place it on SOE proper to have it sound right) - however, just as with "Stateless" and "Winter" (among others) in the past, that doesn't mean it isn't a brilliant song in its own right: it certainly is!

Extra songs are sometimes played live, and I hope this song is one of them. I could very easily see them throwing in this song as an addendum to another song while they were playing live, either as just an extra bit or as part of a larger medley. It has a wonderful intense crescendo at the end.

• Like 3

• Subscriber

A P.S. for both SOI and SOE - I'm glad that the deluxe editions of both gave homes to "Invisible" and "Ordinary Love" respectively. I thought both of those songs were album-worthy, but they are also strong singles - perhaps too distinctive to blend into a larger whole.

Still, I'm glad they were included - granted "Invisible" really lived up to its name in its inclusion on SOI...

• Like 1

• Subscriber
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:41 AM, Manohlive said:

I had a drive last night.  I listened to SOE from start to finish. I had not realized that Landlady...in the end...when Bono starts singing...Every wave that broke me...is relating back to SOI and Every Breaking Wave.  I listen to music before I start paying attention to the intricacies of what it means.  I spoke of this before, as I like to feel it organically.  I'm now at the point where I am starting to hear more of SOE's lyrics as a whole.  It seems to me that the Every wave part is a whole song, in and of itself.  Lyrically, it could stand on its own, imho. For me, it's a very unexpected turn. It is not how I'd look or listen for the song to end.  It's almost as though he wrote a separate piece of verse and decided to weave it into the end of Landlady.  I see its shade of the past, yet it leads me somewhere. I also noticed that he sings...Space....Her place is where I found my parking space....  Huh?  'That's not very good lyrical content', was my first thought. 'Space is great; it takes me right up into it. Her place leads to a parking space?', I wondered. It made no sense. 'Why repeat space?  It should be Space....something something....and then place.  He shouldn't be repeating space.  He's a much better lyricist than that', the cock in me thought.  Then it dawned on me that Space IS her place.  The writer finds HIS place within, and parks his own self, because it's where he most wants to be. (that's my take, at this point, on those lyrics). Perhaps he wants me to question why he's repeating space. I've been floating in the melody and that incredible guitar sound/playing of Landlady. I never associated it with Every Breaking Wave until last evening. Besides the obvious SOI reference, it feels like it could be the middle of the beginning (Love is All) and the end (There Is A Light) of SOE. (for me)  I'm not sure why.  It's the same part of what I love so much about U2.  I hear Bono sing Roam...and then The Edge on guitar and I take off.  I've yet to sit and listen to Larry's drums or Adam's bass on this song.  I hear them, but I have not actually listened to them.  I shall. It does not matter, yet again, what any of this means because It'll dawn on me some time in the future. I can fall in love all over again. This song, and album, make my hair stand on end. I love it.

I also thought it was Rome, not Roam.

Nice !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Subscriber
On 2/25/2018 at 11:12 AM, hillpy2 said:

I’d just like to state the fact that Larry Mullen is a Genius!  “Book of Your Heart,”... in that song, which I LOVE, I’m mesmerized by the drum work. All hail Larry!! Amen!

yes! And Adam, on the last part of the song. 

• Like 3

• Subscriber
On 2/25/2018 at 10:12 AM, hillpy2 said:

I concur.  It was not until the last couple of nights that I've been able to listen to BOYH carefully.  Those drums are incredible and so is Adam.  My gosh, that rhythm drives me to an idyllic insanity.  Thanks for pointing it out, as I had not yet sat and given this song my full attention.

On 2/25/2018 at 10:50 AM, dmway said:

Extra songs are sometimes played live, and I hope this song is one of them. I could very easily see them throwing in this song as an addendum to another song while they were playing live, either as just an extra bit or as part of a larger medley. It has a wonderful intense crescendo at the end.

I have been thinking about your comment.  I listened to Book of Your Heart, with what you stated specifically in mind.  I think you are right.  At first I thought, 'No way.'. (no critique-I thought there was no way we'd hear it.)  The more I listened and thought about it, the more your comment makes sense to me.  They add 40 to Bad.  Why not add this song on the end of another?  I also agree that the ending crescendo would be a treat if added to a song, or your mention of a larger medley.  It would be awesome and unexpected. Thanks for what you said.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

• Subscriber

I hadn't listened to SoE since January. Not that I didn't like it when it first was released. I just was more interested in other music. But, I listened to SoE late one night driving home this week, and I really connected with it. Can't really explain why, but it felt nice. and calming.

There's still things that I can nitpick about the record, but those are just personal preferences.. Listening to it got me really excited that I'm able to go to the Los Angeles shows.

• Like 1

• bigwave unfeatured this topic