This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

hope3702

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, yardie said:

The similarity I hear potentially comes from the quiet to loud aspect of the music.

Perhaps that is what I hear.  I don't over analyze either.  I just listen and let things go fro that.  For some reason I kept thinking of LIB.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
41 minutes ago, HansasHeroes1991 said:

I'm sorry. 
I have a bad habit of joining in pages and not bothering to read what has been said up until now. 

I see that I am not alone in my thinking on this.

Cheers.

Oh, it's no problem - everyone joins pages/topics late. It wasn't a criticism towards you - I just pointed out that I had an opinion about who it reminded me of just very recently. I was just sharing that. :)

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, dmway said:

Oh, it's no problem - everyone joins pages/topics late. It wasn't a criticism towards you - I just pointed out that I had an opinion about who it reminded me of just very recently. I was just sharing that. :)

No worries! 

• Like 1

• Subscriber
On 3/2/2018 at 11:52 PM, bettydalton said:

Me being very critical of the new album in the very beginning I must confess (to my own joy) that Songs of Experience is growing on me. I really start liking the songs. After some months now the songs have become part of me. Even wake up with them in my head sometimes. The first live shows dates are coming closer everyday. U2 must be rehearsing these songs live right now. I wont be present, (no tickets!), but I will follow them online on youtube when they start in the States. I am very curious HOW U2 is gonna play these songs live. Live is the place that can make or break a U2 song. Even when a song sounds crap on the cd it can still sound great live and vice versa...

Are they gonna use strings? Synthesizers? A choir ? A capella ? Songs of Experience lends itself for an entirely different presentation. The BBC Christmas show was an example of that. Are there any rumours yet to what U2 is going to do live ? Multiple stages I read somewhere..

bettydalton, I totally agree. I usually have to listen to their album many, many times to understand what is going on. Some take longer than others. SOE has taken a bit longer, but I'm liking to more and more. Can't wait to see them perform!

• Subscriber
22 hours ago, dmway said:

As I said last page, I hear more Interpol than Radiohead - Radiohead of the 90s sounded like that, but not Radiohead post-Kid A.

Personally I was getting vibes of the new National album mixed with a bit of Absolution-era Muse.

• Subscriber

I said somewhere way back in this thread at the time of album release - this song perhaps should have opened ( or closed ) the standard format release. It's just personal opinion of course and matters little. It's a good track.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

Personally I was getting vibes of the new National album mixed with a bit of Absolution-era Muse.

It's amazing what variety of music people will think of upon hearing the same song - it's almost proof of one of the more controversial ramifications of quantum physics, i.e., there isn't really any such thing as "objective reality". Multiple people hear the same track, but it is perceived uniquely and individually - all interpretations correct, and yet different. ("One, but not the same" fans of a certain band might say... ;)

I saw The National open for someone (I think R.E.M.)  a long time ago (10-15 years ago), and I saw Muse on The Cure's "Curiosa" festival. I wonder if either band opened for U2. I only mentioned Interpol in the first place because they did open for U2 on a few dates, and I thought it might just be possible that they might have inspirationally rubbed off on them, so to speak.

It would be interesting to know what U2 were thinking while they were recording it.

Edited by dmway

• Subscriber

Don't think The National have ever played with U2, although it wouldn't have surprised me if they had. Muse supported them on some 360 dates and Edge guested with them on their Glastonbury headline slot years ago. 

I haven't listened to much Interpol although they have a few songs I really like, but I'm seeing them support The Cure this summer so will be nice to get more of a feel for them.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, peterferris8 said:

Don't think The National have ever played with U2, although it wouldn't have surprised me if they had. Muse supported them on some 360 dates and Edge guested with them on their Glastonbury headline slot years ago. 

I haven't listened to much Interpol although they have a few songs I really like, but I'm seeing them support The Cure this summer so will be nice to get more of a feel for them.

Ah, that's good! Interpol are a great live band - very Joy Division-ish, like the early CDs from the Editors.

Yes, I remember seeing The Edge play with Muse at Glastonbury a few years back - that was they year that U2 were supposed to play there, but Bono had his bike accident not long before then; thus, they played there the following year.

Getting back on topic, I wonder when U2 will play Glasto next. It would be cool if they did it on this touring cycle for SOE...

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, dmway said:

Ah, that's good! Interpol are a great live band - very Joy Division-ish, like the early CDs from the Editors.

Yes, I remember seeing The Edge play with Muse at Glastonbury a few years back - that was they year that U2 were supposed to play there, but Bono had his bike accident not long before then; thus, they played there the following year.

Getting back on topic, I wonder when U2 will play Glasto next. It would be cool if they did it on this touring cycle for SOE...

Don't think they will play again to be honest. However coloured our perception of the 2011 show (as diehard fans) was, it got a pretty mixed reception from a lot of critics and people who were there, and I think even the band themselves don't remember it so fondly. If it had gone the other way and been received in all quarters as a huge success, then they'd probably be playing this year, but the festival's taking a year off to let the land recover. 

All that said, the fact that they took The Joshua Tree tour to Bonnaroo in the US last year suggests they're not averse to playing festivals every once in a while - maybe next year they could do festivals in some of the places they haven't visited lately (Australia/New Zealand, Africa, Asia).

• bigwave unfeatured this topic