This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

hope3702

• Subscriber
On 04/03/2018 at 2:48 AM, JCF said:

Um, yes, I recorded a version, or a few!! My friend and I sent in 5 videos total!!  2 40-year-old moms acting like teenagers for an afternoon, we had so much fun making them.  We joke sometimes that at least the band must be sitting around at night watching our videos because they love us so much. LOL. I am just waiting to be up there on the screen singing with the boys!  

That’s brilliant! - was worried it was just me!! I like the idea of the band watching them all - mine was hilarious- there’s a reason I’m not a professional musician (sadly ?). Hope you enjoy! X

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, dmway said:

Yes, I remember seeing The Edge play with Muse at Glastonbury a few years back - that was they year that U2 were supposed to play there, but Bono had his bike accident not long before then; thus, they played there the following year

U2 missed glass after Bono’s back surgery IIRC.

the bike accident was after that.

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

U2 missed glass after Bono’s back surgery IIRC.

the bike accident was after that.

Correct! I confused Bono's tragedies. :D

Back on topic: SOE is still a gem. :)

• Subscriber
On 12/1/2017 at 4:50 PM, kitemaster said:

The Band should have taken a year off after the JTT2017 the album doesn't sound finished. Disappointed with it. Too mellow. No big guitar parts.

I Love SOE, but I agree that it seems rushed or not complete.... I don’t know- it seems something is missing but can’t articulate what....   it does seem there were a lot of “cooks in the kitchen” on this album...

Edited by hillpy2

• Subscriber
On 3/10/2018 at 7:51 AM, peterferris8 said:

Don't think they will play again to be honest. However coloured our perception of the 2011 show (as diehard fans) was, it got a pretty mixed reception from a lot of critics and people who were there, and I think even the band themselves don't remember it so fondly. If it had gone the other way and been received in all quarters as a huge success, then they'd probably be playing this year, but the festival's taking a year off to let the land recover. 

All that said, the fact that they took The Joshua Tree tour to Bonnaroo in the US last year suggests they're not averse to playing festivals every once in a while - maybe next year they could do festivals in some of the places they haven't visited lately (Australia/New Zealand, Africa, Asia).

I remember it was a rainy evening and that took a bit of the shine off of it. Also, Bono was frustrated that the crowd was so far away from the stage. Yes - I remembered about this year's break for Glasto; when I said "touring cycle", I meant for the entire tour (i.e., this tour is going into 2019 and conceivably even 2020).

Yes - it would be good for them to go to the places they haven't gone to since the 90s. I hope they hit some/all of them.

On 3/10/2018 at 5:09 PM, hillpy2 said:

I Love SOE, but I agree that it seems rushed or not complete.... I don’t know- it seems something is missing but can’t articulate what....   it does seem there were a lot of “cooks in the kitchen” on this album...

I agree with the "too many cooks in the kitchen" comment. I always like it better when they limit input to two or three outside voices instead of more. For example, I was very glad to see Jacknife Lee and Steve Lillywhite producing again on this album, but I'd kind of like to see Ryan Tedder move on. Too much gloss on some tracks...

I'm not sure I agree with the rushed or incomplete opinions, though. This album was finished (in their eyes) a year before it was finally released - the 2016 election is what changed that and gave us the JT anniversary tour in its place. Now, I'm sure they worked on a few more things on it during the delay, but they were prepared for it to come out as a finished work in 2016. Also, IMHO, this is their most complete work, their most cohesive whole, since at least NLOTH, if not AB. I can't bring myself to listen to it without wanting to hear the whole thing in order.

But, just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, good music is in the ear of the listener. It still nice to talk about it all here. :)

• Like 3

• Subscriber

I'm really looking forward to hearing these songs live now.

The arenas are going to explode with "The Little Things That Give You Away", and I am already looking forward to singing (loudly) along to "Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way" (among many others).

Any songs that anyone else is looking forward to live?

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, dmway said:

I'm really looking forward to hearing these songs live now.

The arenas are going to explode with "The Little Things That Give You Away", and I am already looking forward to singing (loudly) along to "Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way" (among many others).

Any songs that anyone else is looking forward to live?

Definitely "Little Things"! Also "Red Flag Day" - it has a driving sound that reminds me of their earlier stuff. And I can't wait to sing back and forth with Bono "You and I are, rock and roll!" Cheesy, I know but I think American Soul will get the place bumpin'. "Summer of Love" is another one - it's so dreamy and groovy. I think it would work well for a downtempo live song. I'm also hoping for some of the SOI tunes - I would lose my shite for "This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now".

Edited by Stellaria
  • Like 2

• Subscriber

I'm probably in the minority in saying this:

It would be a dream come true if they played SOI start to finish...took a break...then came out and played SOE start to finish. I do think they are going to play heavily from SOE.  They just toured this past Summer.   They've both afforded and merited the right to do as they please with the setlist for this tour.  I'm taking liberty in using the word, 'merit'.  It's just a fan's opinion.  I doubt the promoter would be happy if they took this approach.  I seriously doubt the ones who don't go to every tour would like it either. I'm having a difficult time deciding which songs I could do without from SOE.  I think Landlady is a safe bet to be played.  I fear Red Flag Day might be skipped.  I'm not sure why.  It's going to be tough to not know of the setlist when I see them in Chicago.  I shall do my best, as I like the surprise.  How though?  How does one not look at the news on U2.com?  I need sedation until May 22, 2018.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

• Subscriber
On 3/9/2018 at 5:09 PM, dmway said:

Yes, I remember seeing The Edge play with Muse at Glastonbury a few years back

After watching countless hours of Glastonbury on Palladia, I finally saw a documentary on the festival.  This American knew nothing of the history to Glastonbury.  It was very cool to watch that documentary; all the different mini-cities of campers and such. I had no idea about its history.  Very, very cool.  It was a well spent hour or two watching that documentary.  Seeing things like that almost makes me want to pay for cable again. Thank God for YouTube. SOE-Bono sounds great on that live indoor video for The Little Things., which I have been watching on YouTube. The band sounds great.  I love the guitar to that song.  The Edge skips a lot of it in lieu of keyboards and I still love it.  They sound incredible.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

• bigwave unfeatured this topic