Jump to content

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem


hope3702
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Which ones were they playing?  I did not watch the Super Bowl this year.  I have yet to watch any of the NCAA,  Been watching soccer and hockey.  I have not noticed any SOE with them.

"American Soul" is getting major airplay (a somewhat obvious choice - but why not?). There were several snippets played during the NFL playoffs.

The other ones were in the background and several weeks ago - so, I can't name them at the moment. 

Keep looking! :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
15 hours ago, dmway said:

"American Soul" is getting major airplay (a somewhat obvious choice - but why not?). There were several snippets played during the NFL playoffs.

The other ones were in the background and several weeks ago - so, I can't name them at the moment. 

Keep looking! :)

 

That is ironic considering Roger Gooddell's response to Trump's criticism of the players taking a knee during our national anthem. 

Edited by Manohlive
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
On 3/16/2018 at 12:27 AM, Manohlive said:

That is ironic considering Roger Gooddell's response to Trump's criticism of the players taking a knee during our national anthem. 

I suppose so, but the decision to play music during breaks would have been up to the networks - so, even if he did object, he wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

(P.S. You should have kept your original statement about Aaron Rodgers - instead of saying that he got injured, you should have called out the naughty Detroit Lions player who intentionally injured him. I'm not a Packers or a Lions fan, but that hit was unconscionable.)

 

Back on topic - everyone, listen to SOE for St Patrick's Day! :Joshua_Tree_02::Artificial_Horizon: (combine these two in your mind for a quasi-U2-themed "shamrock", as it were - this site needs more emojis...)

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!! :D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, dmway said:

(P.S. You should have kept your original statement about Aaron Rodgers - instead of saying that he got injured, you should have called out the naughty Detroit Lions player who intentionally injured him. I'm not a Packers or a Lions fan, but that hit was unconscionable.)

I took it out because I thought I was going too far.  It was the Minnesota Vikings.  I intensely dislike the Vikings.  I've always disliked them and I always will.  They've knocked us out of the playoffs too many times.  It was a very dirty hit.  As for my comment about Gooddell-I thought it was on topic, albeit a roundabout manner.  It was about my president yammering that the players should be fired for taking a knee during the national anthem.  Gooddell listened, assembled some owners of teams, and they shut it down by indirectly threatening players.  They played on people's emotions and won.  The players were protesting human rights violations.  We just had a police lady found not guilty for shooting an unarmed black person in the back and killing him.  He was on the ground.  It was very close to where I live.  The players were not turning their backs on the flag.  They were bowing a knee.  They have every right to turn their backs on the flag.  That's what being an American and living in freedom is about.  To me, that's what American Soul and GOOYOW are all about.  If the NFL did not want the music played, they could shut it down.  They are too stupidly blinded by money to discern the content of the lyric.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I took it out because I thought I was going too far.  It was the Minnesota Vikings.  I intensely dislike the Vikings.  I've always disliked them and I always will.  They've knocked us out of the playoffs too many times.  It was a very dirty hit.  As for my comment about Gooddell-I thought it was on topic, albeit a roundabout manner.  It was about my president yammering that the players should be fired for taking a knee during the national anthem.  Gooddell listened, assembled some owners of teams, and they shut it down by indirectly threatening players.  They played on people's emotions and won.  The players were protesting human rights violations.  We just had a police lady found not guilty for shooting an unarmed black person in the back and killing him.  He was on the ground.  It was very close to where I live.  The players were not turning their backs on the flag.  They were bowing a knee.  They have every right to turn their backs on the flag.  That's what being an American and living in freedom is about.  To me, that's what American Soul and GOOYOW are all about.  If the NFL did not want the music played, they could shut it down.  They are too stupidly blinded by money to discern the content of the lyric.

You're right - I misidentified the team. It was a dirty hit regardless.

Agree on all the rest.

This is part of the reason that SOE is so resonant, i.e., the songs are really on-point for today's world.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

Summer of Love IS A Song for Someone

............Beautiful base to painfully beautiful , 'like flowers growing in a bomb crater '

You can understand how artists feel the need to self medicate when they feel the uncontrollable need to dive in and represent.

I think that is how I try to listen to these songs lined with incomprehensible human cruelty, at least initially. Imagining what kind of state of mind they would need to accept to portray this type of cruelty.  I don't know how you go into that dark room, close the door, take your deep breath and then feel.

To me, this song and Bono's Hawking (rip, well earned )  like genius is in his ability to survive, plain and simple.

He writes these 'things' - it kills him - we know that, it kills us too. He could, probably should exit that room faster than he does, dive into the pool , hide, look up through the water, decide, barely surface for a sip and sink again. That alone would be unreal I think. 

But, evidently, we know, thankfully, he can't leave without giving us all hope. Huge personal cost no doubt.

How do we teach empathy....rhetorical. The most undervalued and yet absolutely important human quality - Even more than love. Love in institutional, a word, not as frequently an action. Empathy is a speeding verb, it moves and compels. I think he owns it, at least in my realm.

 

  • Brilliant 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

Absolutely Love the new Album, and can't wait for the Tour, a long wait to the end of the year though!!! 

Really hoping they will throw in a few surprise songs... So cruel, Who' s gonna Ride.. Trying to throw your arms... Love is Blindness, Acrobat.

A big ask, but it's been such a long time of hearing these songs.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, karlt41 said:

Absolutely Love the new Album, and can't wait for the Tour, a long wait to the end of the year though!!! 

Really hoping they will throw in a few surprise songs... So cruel, Who' s gonna Ride.. Trying to throw your arms... Love is Blindness, Acrobat.

A big ask, but it's been such a long time of hearing these songs.

Clearly you like AB! :D Of course, that means you have very good taste. B) It would be good to finally hear "Acrobat" - they rehearsed it before the Outside Broadcast part of ZooTV (I think in Hershey, PA of all places), but they have never played it live. They may not have played "So Cruel" either - I'd have to check that.

Yes, plenty of the new album and AB would make my dream setlist too.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • bigwave unfeatured this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...