Sign in to follow this  
hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

Listening to U2 new album since morning on my way to work, on my work, everywhere :)

Couldn't wait until CD copy arrives so downloaded it today on iTunes. I remember when they uploaded their Songs of innocence for free iTunes album in 2014, Bono was forced to be sorry to gave us free music because of some people. Yeah, that's weird. Great music, free music. Thank you U2! Actually this music is priceless.

My favorite songs from Songs of experience so far:

- Get out of your own way

- The little things that give you away

- Summer of love

- Lights of homw

- Reg flag day

Happy music Friday all!

See you in SJ!

Ok. Firstly it's only my opinion after a day of listening intently - and it's only a day. This however, for me is the best work the band have produced as a collective piece of work in many many years. Opinions are just that of course and I will not dismiss the fantastic tracks that appear on every U2 release that has been and gone (but never forever).

Songs of Experience is a thumbs up from me.

Love is All we Have Left - I'm not a massive fan of auto-tuning voices either (bit  like the guy from the newspaper). It's a 'nice' track, but I do really continue to feel it is misplaced on the album. Anyhow, we'll get to that later.

Lights of Home - It starts ok, but again, slightly disappointed in the opening choices. However, this wakes up for me when Edge kicks in with the slide guitar.

"If only you could see yourself, If only you could free yourself to be yourself." Amen - and we're off!

You're the best thing about me  - Love the opening rhythm riff by Edge, love Adams bassline fuzz kicking in and limited use of the snare drum by Larry works really well. It's a catchy tune, and one I've like from day 1 along with the video. A band having fun.

"shootin' off my mouth, that's another great thing about me...." Self awareness to the fore there then! Edge taking a bit of lead vocal there too - always good.

Get Out of Your Own Way - this is just a simply great track, a U2 tune that puts a big fat smile on my face. Cue the bassline - enter Adam again - "love has got to fight for its existance" - sure as hell does.

"I can help you, but it's your fight."

...and a great segway (potentially my little highlight of the album ) into....

"blessed are the bullies, 'cause one day they will have to stand up to themselves."

American Soul - currently taking the lead as my favourite track on the album

"look around, look around, look around, it's a sound" - I'm nearly waiting for an invisible army to come knocking at my back door I'm getting so hyped up. ;) Great riff, great effects on guitar by Edge yet again. Who is 'Brother John?"

"You and I are Rock n Roll." Loving the last chorus and that pulsating high tone - like a warning signal - maybe it's a warning to us all.

Summer of Love - the opening bars really remind me of another song by another artist - anyways...

"West Coast" of where ...Ireland? California? - please tell.:) Beautiful chorus though and nice tune overall, easy listening - reminiscent of / with tones of 'Wild Honey' from back in the day.

Red Flag Day - funky opening, catchy tune - maybe this one could have opened the album? No? Just me? I like it but I dont think its one of those ones you'll hear beyond the studio version.

The Showman - a bit like the last one, and the one before. Yup 6,7 and 8 have that sort of catch thing going on - someone else mentioned 'The Beatles' somewhere - and I'm kinda waiting for 'oh, la ,la la's' slipping in there. This one is good though in a fingers tapping the steering wheel kinda way.

"Chasing the sunlight, that's why I'm staying up all night." - oh yeah, got that t-shirt.

Little Things - definitely has ancestry in 'Winter' - no bad thing. Dreamy lyrics at the start....

"High above the storm, a hurricane being born."

"Sometimes, I cant believe my existence"....."All my thoughts are so reckless." A track full of great lyrics, U2 pulsating to a finish with Edge doing what he does best.

Landlady - "No road without a turn, and if there was it would be too long". Definitely one I can drift through in a nice way - breaking into a lovely close on 3 mins - "every magic potion, every false emotion."

The Blackout - I'm in a love/ hate relationship with this track at the moment. Give me time. It's a great chorus without a shadow of a doubt, I'm just not sure about the rest of it. It did however take me months to like ' Bullet the Blue Sky"  so there is hope. Yes, two completely different songs, just sayin' it could take that long.

Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - I just love this big, fat, juicy plum of a tune - Phil Spector is in the house here somewhere surely. Bono reaching for notes in the sky, Larry skip beating on the drums. Look, it's just a bloody great tune, not overly complicated - it feels good, its melodic - Love is just a bigger feeling than anything OK!:D Makes me smile!

There is a Light - Whoah, that was my sig on here for some time after the release of SOI as 'song for someone' took me back so much to my mothers passing in 2013 - this is a good though.

"There is a light you cant always see"....."There is a light, don't let it go out" - beautiful.

Tones dare I say of Willie Nelson in this - sorry Bono.

"Are you tough enough to be kind, do you know your heart has it's own mind."

This is a nice closer to the standard CD.

Book of Your Heart - Great track - which takes me back to the start. I might, had it been up to me, opened the album with this track. Mysterious and beautifully crafted work of art..

"THE CONTRACT OF THE HEART"

Great work U2 - It's a long way from Boy. Great early vibes from this one. Looking forward to the tour next year or whenever!  

• Like 1

The album works. It works very well. It's catchy as hell! Am I the only one on this, but the hooks on many of these songs just echo in my brain...Red Flag Day is amazing, The Little Things That Give You Away is a prayer. Crazy how records do that to you. It's much better than I hoped for, and I had HIGH hopes. 

Wow, just Wow. I am around since Boy in 1980 when I was 20, It's 2017 now, I am 57 years of age  and still can lose myself entirely in an U2 album. How amazing is that fact?! Again you took a different corner musically, raised the bar even higher while I even didn't know this was possible. This is a Big One, no doubt. Thank you Adam. Larry, The Edge, Bono and hands down: you succeeded in giving your ever demanding fans what they seek: our necessary vitamin U-2 . The best years for U2 fans are ahead of us. 

2 hours ago, kseguin said:

Ok, what gives here.  I have pre-ordered the Super Deluxe or what ever it is called, have 4 CD's on the way with for ticket purchases.  None of which came with a digital download code!

So I went online to purchase and download so my wife and I can listen to it today.  Amazon.ca (Canadian) does not have it digitally.  Went to Amazon.com, it won't let me purchase it because my credit card does not have an american address attached to it. Despite buying on amazon.com previously.

This is crazy as I am willing to pay for the download!!!!

ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!

Your email from Ticketmaster should have been good for the official download (which is 500 MB BTW and in .wav format). Maybe check your spam folder. Although you say you ordered 4 copies of the CD's so maybe you have used up all of your codes. In any event, the official download wasn't available until today anyway.

17 minutes ago, pmickey said:

The album works. It works very well. It's catchy as hell! Am I the only one on this, but the hooks on many of these songs just echo in my brain...Red Flag Day is amazing, The Little Things That Give You Away is a prayer. Crazy how records do that to you. It's much better than I hoped for, and I had HIGH hopes. 

I went to bed last night with Red Flag Day in my head...lol so I know where you're coming from.

• Like 1

I am stunned. I have goose bumps. The album is big, the sounds are big. They fill your mind and fill your soul. You FEEL this album partly due to the momentum in the bass n' drums. They reached into their U2 sound toolbox and built a winner with some new tricks too. The arrangement of sounds really works. Many have said it feels like listening to ATYCLB all over again and I would agree. Not that they sound the same, but they feel similar. It begs to be listened as a whole versus single by single. My vinyl player will LOVE this one. Combine Experience with Innocence for an epic sonic experience. Some have complained how they re-hashed some ideas and sounds from Innocence however I disagree. They made the dual album concept really work. You can hear the connections and see them in your mind. Well done lads, well done indeed. Can't wait to take my boys to see the show.

• Like 1

Just listened. There are some good songs but I don't think this is as good as I+E. Overall is OK.

Maybe it will grow on me. The good news is most U2 albums that I love started that way, the first time I heard I wasn't blown away. So, I am optimistic. 

When you buy the deluxe CD through the U2.com story aren't you supposed to get a digital download as well? I haven't gotten an email with the credentials.

I love how the album flows and it has some great songs. My personal favorites are TLTTGYA, Red Flag Day and Summer of Love. I really think that The Blackout will sound great live.

13 (There Is A Light) gives me goosebumps every time I hear it and it is great improvement from Song For Someone.

• Like 1