Sign in to follow this  
Harley1955

Backfire???

Just logged on to Ticketmaster to check the ticket sales out for the St. Louis show. Awful lot of tickets left for sale. 2 yrs ago they sold out 5 shows in Chicago. They had 2 originally scheduled, and those were sold out in no time at all and ended up adding 3 more. I finally ended up being able to get tickets to the 4th show that year. Hmmmm... do sky high ticket prices = no sell outs???

I think so. It's not just the prices  being high but also how many tickets are at the highest prices. 

Just out of curiousity, I checked to compare my 2015 tickets against this tour since it's the same stage setup. 

The top ticket price jumped $50 from 2015 to now. I haven't gotten that much of a raise in that same period and I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat. Many more seats are at the highest price levels this time compared to 2015. A seat that I sat in that was $100 in 2015 is now classified as a $175 seat. A seat I had that was $80 in 2015 has been reclassified as a $175 seat as well. Other seats that were in the $150 range last time are now going for $330. 

I think they could have gotten away with taking the best 5% or 10% of seats, maybe even the best 20%, and charging $330 for them. But I think making more than half the tickets that price was too much. If I'm going to even consider spending that much, it needs to be for an outstanding seat. Row 12 of the upper level away from the main stage is not an outstanding seat, but they charge $330 for that now. Looks like people bought the "good" $330 seats but rejected the mediocre seats being charged at that level. 

• Like 2

Same for Washington, DC.  Scores of tickets still available.  I was hoping for a 2nd show - may not happen now.  Who wants to pay $ 200-$ 300 for upper level tickets?  Diehard fans want to be closer.  Casual fans want cheaper.

1 hour ago, Harley1955 said:

Just logged on to Ticketmaster to check the ticket sales out for the St. Louis show. Awful lot of tickets left for sale. 2 yrs ago they sold out 5 shows in Chicago. They had 2 originally scheduled, and those were sold out in no time at all and ended up adding 3 more. I finally ended up being able to get tickets to the 4th show that year. Hmmmm... do sky high ticket prices = no sell outs???

Absolutely, this will backfire. I just checked and for the 2015 tour (same arena, same stage set up etc) I paid $115 each (including fees) for seats in first row balcony, center arena. Sec 301 row 1 of the TD Garden in Boston. This time around the same seats are each $386 with fees. TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY DOLLARS MORE FOR THE SAME SEAT????? I was planning on buying those again and getting as many as I could but NO WAY at this price. I usually go to ALL the Boston shows and shows in multiple other cities but that just wont be happening now. Enough is enough. I lucked out and got 2 GA's through the subscriber pre-sale but that will have to do. Sadly, I'm not excited about going anymore. Or the new album.

• Upvote 1

yeah, I just checked and there are still GA tickets available for San Jose. crazy!

Well I checked St. Louis again and still a lot of tickets left. See they added another show for Chicago, wonder why cause there's still tickets for the 1st one left. I think they'll have to slash ticket prices or this tour is going to flop.

Just checked Philly night one... tickets available at most price levels other than GA. Some were actually decent views. Not single seats either. This is 3 days after General sale.  Between the pricing and verified system this is a total backfire. U2 and management have overestimated their current demand by a mile. Now they have alienated many die hard fans. Maybe Macphisto should come back to hand out some Bono dollars.