Jump to content

Update: U2 Manager Guy Oseary Responds To Fans' Concerns Over E+I Tour Pre-sales


Max Tsukino

Recommended Posts

  • Subscriber

This is an interesting read and maybe answers a few questions around WHY would U2 use TM and how it claims re-sale commissions are split.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/inside-ticketmasters-new-scalping-plan-20130913

You also need to ask yourself, if you wanted to make money from re-sales which tickets would you want to get into the hands of those who would then want to re-sell tickets to make a profit? Would it be........A) a $330 face value ticket in the Gods which actually costs $370 after you pay fees OR B ) a $85 face value ticket which would be in demand from every fan wanting to get up close to the band?..............

Also ask yourself this question......Who would you want to purchase the most amount of tickets? Is it A) Fan club members who actually pay $50 for the chance to get close to the band they love and will probably actually attend the show or multiple shows........Or B ) Anybody who just wants to re-sale and make money from the tickets because at the same time so will you?  To help you answer that question.....U2 members were told they could only get a Maximum of 2 tickets as a thank you for paying membership fees but if you paid nothing and used a Citi card or purchased through the TM Verified Scam sorry I meant Fan sale then you can buy 4 tickets..........Ummmmm. Guy however says it was limited to 2 tickets for fans because the tour is an arena tour meaning limited tickets....Is it not in the same arena for Citi and TM Verified Fan sales?

Last Question........Who runs the U2 official site?      

A ) U2

B ) Live Nation (who merged with Ticketmaster a few years back?

C ) Other?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Interesting read..........FROM BILLBOARD POST BACK IN 2008 meaning the 12 year deal is still running I guess?

U2 has inked a 12-year deal with Live Nation Artists to handle its worldwide touring, merchandising, and the band's U2.com Web site. "I'm very happy to go into a partnership with them," U2 manager Pau U2's deal with Live Nation puts the promoter in business with one of the highest earning bands in the world for more than a decade.

It's a 12-year deal with Live Nation Artists that includes worldwide touring, merchandising, and the band's U2.com Web site. The deal, however, is not a true 360-degree pact, as there is no publishing component and the band retains its relationship with Universal Music to release music.

"It's not do-or-die that we have to have everything. We just have to have certain critical mass, and we more than have it in this deal," Michael Cohl, Live Nation chairman of the board and CEO of Live Nation Artists, tells Billboard.com.

U2 manager Paul McGuinness adds, "There's a certain convergence taking place in the industry, and it's obvious that the biggest part of U2's business now is their live business, even though they're a major, major record-selling act."

The band's relationship with Live Nation has been "pretty near perfect," McGuinness says. "For some time now they've been executing, promoting and producing our tours as partners pretty well perfectly. Since they want to consolidate rights and they have an online vision that I believe in, their Ticketmaster deal is expiring, which is going to change their margin, I'm very happy to go into a partnership with them. And, apart from all the financial stuff, there is a real friendship, a real bond."

Financial terms were not disclosed, but Cohl says that the deal was similar to the previously announced Madonna deal (valued at $120 million), in that there was some money paid upfront and that LNA would share in the profits and will be "substantially and materially involved" in all pertinent rights' revenue streams.

Both camps expect synergies to come into play when exploitation of these rights are integrated. "Conceptually it's got to be better, in that the broadcast and the streaming and the Internet and the fan club and the website are all in the same hands," says Cohl. "There's no debate. There are no different vested interests. We're going to have a great starting block and where we go will be new, unexplored territory that instinctively feels like it should be exponentially better."

U2 is in an elite class for touring, with its 2005-2007 Vertigo tour taking in close to $400 million, the second highest ever. So touring alone should generate more than a billion dollars in grosses over the course of the contract.

The length of the deal, which exceeds even Madonna's 10-year pact, "indeed is a mark of the faith and trust we have in them," says McGuinness, adding, "In 12 years time U2 will not even be the age the Rolling Stones are now."

If everything goes as planned, the power of the U2/Live Nation Artists venture will become apparent by next year. "The band are in the studio now. We hope to release an album this fall and tour in '09," says McGuinness. "There's a constant rolling plan and sometimes it gets postponed, but we plan all the time, and that's the current plan."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

Remember WAY back when Bono just wanted "to connect with the crowd" and be the voice of the everyday common working man? That memory is fading, 'almost gone... oops, yep, it's gone...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

Seems to me that most people here want GA tickets and that makes perfect sense!!! Doesn't the band want their fan club members as close to the stage as possible? I have a hard time imagining why they cannot make the GA tickets more readily available to their fan club. I'm in Montreal and lets say there are 2000 tickets available for GA. You actually think there are 1000 members here all trying to buy 2 tickets each for GA? And even if they were, whats the problem with that? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
14 minutes ago, sergiolato said:

Seems to me that most people here want GA tickets and that makes perfect sense!!! Doesn't the band want their fan club members as close to the stage as possible? I have a hard time imagining why they cannot make the GA tickets more readily available to their fan club. I'm in Montreal and lets say there are 2000 tickets available for GA. You actually think there are 1000 members here all trying to buy 2 tickets each for GA? And even if they were, whats the problem with that? 

Exactly!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
On 11/22/2017 at 1:28 PM, mike7man said:

Unfortunately, the original fan letter didn't mention (or only briefly and to a minor degree) one key additional issue:  That the u2.com presale allotment (I'm not talking about the ticket limit)--that is, the actual number (and quality, if seats) of presale tickets was markedly smaller than in previous tours.  This went beyond the iNNOCENCE folks basically having no chance at GAs--many eXPERIENCE folks couldn't obtain GAs either.  And the presale seats in general were clearly inferior.

That is, there were two major sets of issues/problems:

1)  Folks not getting codes, getting codes late, getting the "oops--you're not verified" thing, etc.  Basically, code screw-ups.  AND

2)  The SIZE and QUALITY of the u2.com presale allotment, which was apparently markedly smaller and inferior to past tours (for both Experience and Innocence groups).  And, as the letter does say, the 2 ticket vs. 4 ticket (for citi folks) ticket limit disparity.

The fan letter to Oseary says a lot about #1; very little about #2 (except regarding the Innocence group).

Yes...I couldn't agree more with point #2. How is it possible that there were no GA tix available in many cities for eXPERIENCE members 1 minute into the presale. AND all seats offered for lower prices were crap views outside of GA. I have already paid $50 up front to be a member for many years. That is worth a transparent shot at GA tix or at least a view I can see the screen

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
9 hours ago, millerfan said:

Exactly!  

 

9 hours ago, sergiolato said:

Seems to me that most people here want GA tickets and that makes perfect sense!!! Doesn't the band want their fan club members as close to the stage as possible? I have a hard time imagining why they cannot make the GA tickets more readily available to their fan club. I'm in Montreal and lets say there are 2000 tickets available for GA. You actually think there are 1000 members here all trying to buy 2 tickets each for GA? And even if they were, whats the problem with that? 

While I agree to a point on this, the one thing that everyone keeps forgetting every time they quote "previous tours" is that the last 2 tours have been stadiums, with a significantly greater amount of floor space - and therefore, GA tickets. You have to go back to Vertigo in 2005 to compare to the number of GAs available in the arenas, and from what I have seen, many people here have cited that "this is the worst presale since Vertigo" or compared it to Vertigo in that manner. In other words, it was just as difficult to get GA for THAT arena tour due to the smaller venue size and reduced quantity available. And guess what? I remember very clearly getting tickets to 3 shows - none of which were GA until I did a private swap with someone who ended up not being able to line up for one of the shows in Toronto. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
11 hours ago, kidcurran1 said:

Interesting read..........FROM BILLBOARD POST BACK IN 2008 meaning the 12 year deal is still running I guess?

U2 has inked a 12-year deal with Live Nation Artists to handle its worldwide touring, merchandising, and the band's U2.com Web site. "I'm very happy to go into a partnership with them," U2 manager Pau U2's deal with Live Nation puts the promoter in business with one of the highest earning bands in the world for more than a decade.

It's a 12-year deal with Live Nation Artists that includes worldwide touring, merchandising, and the band's U2.com Web site. The deal, however, is not a true 360-degree pact, as there is no publishing component and the band retains its relationship with Universal Music to release music.

"It's not do-or-die that we have to have everything. We just have to have certain critical mass, and we more than have it in this deal," Michael Cohl, Live Nation chairman of the board and CEO of Live Nation Artists, tells Billboard.com.

U2 manager Paul McGuinness adds, "There's a certain convergence taking place in the industry, and it's obvious that the biggest part of U2's business now is their live business, even though they're a major, major record-selling act."

The band's relationship with Live Nation has been "pretty near perfect," McGuinness says. "For some time now they've been executing, promoting and producing our tours as partners pretty well perfectly. Since they want to consolidate rights and they have an online vision that I believe in, their Ticketmaster deal is expiring, which is going to change their margin, I'm very happy to go into a partnership with them. And, apart from all the financial stuff, there is a real friendship, a real bond."

Financial terms were not disclosed, but Cohl says that the deal was similar to the previously announced Madonna deal (valued at $120 million), in that there was some money paid upfront and that LNA would share in the profits and will be "substantially and materially involved" in all pertinent rights' revenue streams.

Both camps expect synergies to come into play when exploitation of these rights are integrated. "Conceptually it's got to be better, in that the broadcast and the streaming and the Internet and the fan club and the website are all in the same hands," says Cohl. "There's no debate. There are no different vested interests. We're going to have a great starting block and where we go will be new, unexplored territory that instinctively feels like it should be exponentially better."

U2 is in an elite class for touring, with its 2005-2007 Vertigo tour taking in close to $400 million, the second highest ever. So touring alone should generate more than a billion dollars in grosses over the course of the contract.

The length of the deal, which exceeds even Madonna's 10-year pact, "indeed is a mark of the faith and trust we have in them," says McGuinness, adding, "In 12 years time U2 will not even be the age the Rolling Stones are now."

If everything goes as planned, the power of the U2/Live Nation Artists venture will become apparent by next year. "The band are in the studio now. We hope to release an album this fall and tour in '09," says McGuinness. "There's a constant rolling plan and sometimes it gets postponed, but we plan all the time, and that's the current plan."

 

Forgot about this...thanks for posting! I recall thinking at the time, "oh, this is GREAT -- it means the boys are far from finished and there will be at least more tours to enjoy." Now I'm thinking "well at least the deal with the devil will expire in 2020, before the next tour....if there IS a next tour after this one."

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
51 minutes ago, Tracy M said:

 

While I agree to a point on this, the one thing that everyone keeps forgetting every time they quote "previous tours" is that the last 2 tours have been stadiums, with a significantly greater amount of floor space - and therefore, GA tickets. You have to go back to Vertigo in 2005 to compare to the number of GAs available in the arenas, and from what I have seen, many people here have cited that "this is the worst presale since Vertigo" or compared it to Vertigo in that manner. In other words, it was just as difficult to get GA for THAT arena tour due to the smaller venue size and reduced quantity available. And guess what? I remember very clearly getting tickets to 3 shows - none of which were GA until I did a private swap with someone who ended up not being able to line up for one of the shows in Toronto. 

Go back to 2015 for the I & E Tour. Very easy to get GA on the subscriber presales.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...