Update: U2 Manager Guy Oseary Responds To Fans' Concerns Over E+I Tour Pre-sales

Max Tsukino

• Subscriber

I don't think that I have seen my previous questions on this answered...

I am in UK and I want to be in the UK/Europe presales.

Because of the repeated prompts and confusing messages I linked my U2.com membership (long time 'Experience' member of the fanclub - since 1983/84) to a US Ticketmaster account and was duly sent a US presale code - which I didn't want and didn't use.

I then unlinked my US TM account from my U2.com one - it again now says 'incomplete' in red.

How do I guarantee that I get a UK/Europe presale code? Do I have to link to my UK TM account now?

Please can someone confirm what I need to do?

Thank you.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Lord...what a dirty day. The LAST thing you would ever find me doing is getting caught up in U2's great schemes. I justified years and years ago, not resuming my paid membership with, it's just not worth it all. Hardcore, old school, early U2 fans are out there-but I don't know ONE of them that would pay or do a verified fan anything. I would turn to outside advertising versus paid subscriptions by fans on individual basis. I don't need an algorithm to KNOW WHO IS WHO, it's a dirty day when you cannot figure out if its a real person or a BOT...(Bought Off Ticketmaster). The solution is simple, quit overcomplicating it to justify this madness. U2.com knows exactly who is who, put the tickets in their hands. OR DO YOU NEED AN ALGORITHM TO TELL YOU IF THAT IS GOOD IDEA? I am surrounded by rocket scientists and engineers here on the Space Coast...Sometimes, you need to step back, look up, and watch the satellite fly over. GARBAGE IN=GARBAGE OUT. Don't ever depend on DATA, when you can see the solution right in front of your own eyes. I trust the moderators and the folks behind U2.com all day long over any "computer". What I do not trust is, MAKING EXCUSES AND PASSING THE BLAME. You made this mess, YOU CLEAN IT UP! AND THAT MEANS YOU DON'T HIRE A FREAKING MAID TO DO IT FOR YOU!!! OR IN YOUR TECHIE WORLD, YOU DON'T HIRE A FIRM, YOU GO TO THE SOURCE-U2.COM.  DUH!

• Subscriber

Nobody, including the writers of the initial letter mentioned that on the Innocence Tour Ticketmaster was selling U2.com subscriptions right on its website. Whereas a U2.com subscription used to be a hardcore fan only thing, Ticketmaster basically forced these subscriptions on people and opened it up to thousands of casual fans/scalpers, etc by bundling U2.com subscriptions on Ticketmaster essentially wiping out longtimes fans exclusivity. 

• Subscriber

below is copy of the email I received today from U2 Fan Support (aka, Live Nation).  It does in fact appear that being a subscriber no longer means you will get a presale code. This would be a massive departure from past subscriber benefits. If true, and the events of the past week appear to confirm it is, this is a shameful change in policy. 

"Hi Evan,
Thanks for contacting U2 Fan Support! I do apologize for the delay on this response, we do have a high volume of emails going out and we are taking care of them in the order they come in. I will be more than happy to assist you with this.

Yes, that is correct. Just because you were subscribed, that does not mean that you were guaranteed a code. I do apologize about that confusion!"

• Subscriber

The ridiculous cost of these tickets offered to the fans- $330 + $61 in TM fees made me feel taken advantage of.  My group of U2 fans have dwindled considerably because as school teachers, we simply cannot afford that price.  A true disappointment.......

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, mrmike said:

Nobody, including the writers of the initial letter mentioned that on the Innocence Tour Ticketmaster was selling U2.com subscriptions right on its website. Whereas a U2.com subscription used to be a hardcore fan only thing, Ticketmaster basically forced these subscriptions on people and opened it up to thousands of casual fans/scalpers, etc by bundling U2.com subscriptions on Ticketmaster essentially wiping out longtimes fans exclusivity. 

Yep. IMO - which as a fan means next to nothing - if U2 Inc is going to allow people to enter a presale by purchasing a membership on TM so they can immediately access a shitty presale, they should consider 3 days of presales: One for the arbitraryly defined long-term group, another for the arbitrarily defined short-term group, and a third for the people who are buying a membership on the same day they buy tickets.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Tracy M said:

While I agree to a point on this, the one thing that everyone keeps forgetting every time they quote "previous tours" is that the last 2 tours have been stadiums, with a significantly greater amount of floor space - and therefore, GA tickets. You have to go back to Vertigo in 2005 to compare to the number of GAs available in the arenas, and from what I have seen, many people here have cited that "this is the worst presale since Vertigo" or compared it to Vertigo in that manner. In other words, it was just as difficult to get GA for THAT arena tour due to the smaller venue size and reduced quantity available. And guess what? I remember very clearly getting tickets to 3 shows - none of which were GA until I did a private swap with someone who ended up not being able to line up for one of the shows in Toronto. 

Well, no--the 2015 I & E tour (an arena tour) had way more GAs available for u2.com presales (vs. this time around).

8 hours ago, Mark Taylor said:

I don't think that I have seen my previous questions on this answered...

I am in UK and I want to be in the UK/Europe presales.

Because of the repeated prompts and confusing messages I linked my U2.com membership (long time 'Experience' member of the fanclub - since 1983/84) to a US Ticketmaster account and was duly sent a US presale code - which I didn't want and didn't use.

I then unlinked my US TM account from my U2.com one - it again now says 'incomplete' in red.

How do I guarantee that I get a UK/Europe presale code? Do I have to link to my UK TM account now?

Please can someone confirm what I need to do?

Thank you.

Am in the same boat here as are a few of my friends.

Would really be annoyed if we all lost our presales  code for Europe  due to  misleading information  from early on.

Although the situation  was made a bit clearer (thanks to to great work of the  forums ) The account was already connected and we can't always be trawling through pages & pages of posts

day after day to see if the Goal Posts had been moved!!!

Hope we can get some clarity on this before a new wave  of problems start when the 2nd leg dates are announced.

We'll all sleep better then :)

• Subscriber
On 11/23/2017 at 7:33 AM, Tracy M said:

Ok, but in fairness, that may have been the case anyway. Remember, participation in the presale has NEVER been a guarantee that you will get GA, or any other ticket, for that matter. I truly wish we could separate the people who were really shafted - and I know there were many - from those who simply did not get GA. It is much tougher to get GA for the smaller arena shows, and that has always been the case. I realize some of that this time was the result of the incongruity with ticket limits, but I will address that under separate cover. 

What you have stated has some truth, Tracy....and I can be objective/fair in validating your statement regarding the difficulty of obtaining GA tickets due to limited availability/supply-demand ratio.

However,  how about this future proposal:

All fan club members(up to date/current) with subscription, have the option to choose/prepay for GA in  a presale/guarantee...since they are the most coveted by dedicated fans.

Why is this not already possible? It would motivate and be a great incentive for fans to keep their subscription updated & keep the scalpers away.

It would be a more timely way to keep the GA tickets in the ''fans" hands rather than the scalpers turning them into a profiteering  business,

Fans win....U2 wins.

• Subscriber
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:22 PM, salem1974 said:

I suggest you all read this book: "Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped" https://www.amazon.com/Ticket-Masters-Concert-Industry-Scalped/dp/0452298083

It's very revealing. 

BINGO

Archived