Update: U2 Manager Guy Oseary Responds To Fans' Concerns Over E+I Tour Pre-sales

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, DontMindMe said:

and then we find out that paul, whilst he's running around the globe telling people like you what's wrong with your country

Who is Paul?  Is that Bono's real name?  I honestly do not know.  I pay no attention to that stuff.  To me he is Bono.  Even though I get miffed...I would not want him any other way than Bono.  I'm not being critical.  This is how I enjoy music as an escape.  I honestly do not know who Paul is and it's been bugging me all day.  Yes, I can google it but I don't like googling everything.  It's too sterile and impersonal.  I'd rather ask someone.  It's much more fun.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Subscriber

OK I made some negative posts about O'Seary and the presales but after the dust has settled I want to recant some of my emotional posts in the midst of these ticketing changes:

1. U2 has always been on the forefront of tech advancement and change, and so I can see how Live Nation would want to experiment with their fanbase because we obviously are drawn to this band because of their engagement in the world and involvement with their fans.

2. The goal is to shutout the bots and get tickets in the hands of their biggest fans first and also extracting some of the profit that used to go to scalpers.  That's fine with me.

3. The value lies in the scarcity of the commodity (the tickets), especially GA tickets which, let's face it, are the best USD deal in live music right now.

4. Arena show tickets are even more scarce, more so when only 20 USA shows in major markets are announced.

5. If you really look at it, every option is available to fans now.  VIP packages to pay for convenience and extra perks, waiting in online queue for presale tix of every level, and finally you can still go to a secondary reseller if all else fails and get the seats you are looking for.  GA seats on Stubhub about $300 which is a good deal actually when you consider face prices of some lower level seats in the stands.

6. The new album and music are terrific, the band is outstanding right now as a live act, and as decades long fans we know that this isn't going to keep happening every 3-4 years as we all get older and I want to enjoy all of it in a positive way. I LOVE U2!

7. I have to acknowledge the concern, efforts, and caring of a band and management that love music, love live music, and are making sincere efforts to serve their customers"the fans" and be a success in business. THANK YOU

8. In the end, I got GA tickets to both shows I wanted to see in Chicago and Las Vegas using various purchasing avenues. 

• Subscriber

Come on guys just find a way to go, these shows are life experiences.  I am Catholic and brought 2 Evangelical Christians and we met a group that flew in from Dubai at the last show, in Indianapolis.   It's amazing....

Edited by neilz
  • Subscriber

U2 is a pyramid scheme and we're the product. As the old fans depart the band is turning to music that is intended for younger audiences to replace them. The different fandoms that make up U2 all get a nod of the new record: the political, the religious, the rock fan, the young. This is all an attempt to placate the different factions that have built up over the years in their fan base. It's why their albums are now so disjointed.

I always thought there was a level of sincerity and commitment with U2 but after years of following them closely, I see it was all an incredible branding machine. A machine where they can claim ignorance in how their fans are being treated. I've decided to opt out from now on but I'm sure U2 is okay with that - they've already figured out how to replace people like. me. Their tickets will continue to be sold via Verified Fan or Citibank. Next tour there will be even more partners. U2 has morphed into a pop machine that is the "man" they used to complain about in their younger, more interesting iterations.

• Subscriber
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:46 AM, unforgettableu2 said:

I'm not sure nodevotion.....But, the GA's went somewhere.....mysteriously....*****cough**** ****Cough*****

But u2 tickets have always been a very difficult endeavor for me....through out my 34 years of seeing their various concerts.

I can't recall one easy time I had....well, maybe for unforgettable fire.

All the rest of them.....was not an easy task. But, by far.....this has been the most obtuse experience.

I believe there was some kind of relationship. The band performed for Dreamforce in 2016 at the Cow Palace here in the SF Bay Area. A friend of mine who works for SalesForce said tickets were available to their employees on a limited basis. She said she had the opportunity to go, but wasn't sure because it was on a weeknight. I said, "Are you crazy? Go!!"  Well, she did and had an awesome time.

Getting U2 tickets has been hard for me, too.  I waited in line--overnight--for Zoo TV way back in '92. But other than staying awake in the cold, it was probably the easiest. We were fourth in line and the employees of the music store (The Wherehouse) all took our orders beforehand so that the BASSMaster could print them up the moment tickets went on sale at 10:00 a.m.

PopMart '97 required us to leave the music store we were at because their computers went down and to race the closest ticket venue. We had to do this with several dozen other fans who were doing the same thing. There was this whole Oklahoma Land Rush dash that made everyone break a few vehicular codes. The irony was that the show eventually did not sell out.

Elevation '01 was crazy because we decided to try and buy at the venue (SAP Center now) and wow, the folks working the ticket booth were lame--and very slow. Vertigo '05 was the debacle that Larry actually apologized for and what a good dude he was for doing that. 360, i+e, and JT all had their usually frustrations with server overload/delays/timing out/etc. which always made for an anxiety-filled day.

It's something that fans have had to accept for decades now. I wouldn't say we've grown accustomed to it; just something we endure. I guess it comes with the territory if you want see the biggest band in the world.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, 504jumper said:

I believe there was some kind of relationship. The band performed for Dreamforce in 2016 at the Cow Palace here in the SF Bay Area. A friend of mine who works for SalesForce said tickets were available to their employees on a limited basis. She said she had the opportunity to go, but wasn't sure because it was on a weeknight. I said, "Are you crazy? Go!!"  Well, she did and had an awesome time.

Getting U2 tickets has been hard for me, too.  I waited in line--overnight--for Zoo TV way back in '92. But other than staying awake in the cold, it was probably the easiest. We were fourth in line and the employees of the music store (The Wherehouse) all took our orders beforehand so that the BASSMaster could print them up the moment tickets went on sale at 10:00 a.m.

PopMart '97 required us to leave the music store we were at because their computers went down and to race the closest ticket venue. We had to do this with several dozen other fans who were doing the same thing. There was this whole Oklahoma Land Rush dash that made everyone break a few vehicular codes. The irony was that the show eventually did not sell out.

Elevation '01 was crazy because we decided to try and buy at the venue (SAP Center now) and wow, the folks working the ticket booth were lame--and very slow. Vertigo '05 was the debacle that Larry actually apologized for and what a good dude he was for doing that. 360, i+e, and JT all had their usually frustrations with server overload/delays/timing out/etc. which always made for an anxiety-filled day.

It's something that fans have had to accept for decades now. I wouldn't say we've grown accustomed to it; just something we endure. I guess it comes with the territory if you want see the biggest band in the world.

Everything you said 504,....I can validate, because I experienced some of the same difficulties you expressed, too.

In many concerts, I had to go via "scalper."...because I couldn't obtain tickets the traditional route. I don't know which was a worse experience for me, Joshua tree or Zoo Tv....both were insane. Joshua tree in chicago had a lottery system, notified after waiting all night...and 27th in line....and then I got pushed back to #228......I was masterfully pissed off.....:angry: I paid 500+ for scalper tickets(zoo tv)....ect....

I've never missed a show.....but, I had to work for every damn ticket.....but, if you'd asked me to do it again....I'd happily say "sure"...:rolleyes:

However, obtaining tickets for this current show.....has been a labyrinth from hell.....on a new scale! .....something went wrong...very wrong.....beyond the normal scope,.... even for U2.

I can't believe GA's are still the most coveted after all these years......considering the aging demographic who is purchasing them. I will be honest.....GA is not for the faint of heart....and it is getting harder....and harder for me to literally stand all day.....and then stand before/during the concert. I don't know how the band does it....they have 10+ years on me.....I wish I had their energy/endurance.

I passed out(briefly) for the first time(ever) during GA at this summer's JT tour....from dehydration, sun exposure,  too much body heat & exhaustion. It not only takes work to obtain GA tickets....but also sustaining the long haul of the day standing/waiting in line. I do love the awesome exchanges with other u2 fans while we wait.....

One big family.....and for that....it is all worth it....anything of great value in life.....is always worth striving for......

Edited by unforgettableu2
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Everything you said 504,....I can validate, because I experienced some of the same difficulties you expressed, too.

In many concerts, I had to go via "scalper."...because I couldn't obtain tickets the traditional route. I don't know which was a worse experience for me, Joshua tree or Zoo Tv....both were insane. Joshua tree in chicago had a lottery system, notified after waiting all night...and 27th in line....and then I got pushed back to #228......I was masterfully pissed off.....:angry: I paid 500+ for scalper tickets(zoo tv)....ect....

I've never missed a show.....but, I had to work for every damn ticket.....but, if you'd asked me to do it again....I'd happily say "sure"...:rolleyes:

However, obtaining tickets for this current show.....has been a labyrinth from hell.....on a new scale! .....something went wrong...very wrong.....beyond the normal scope,.... even for U2.

I can't believe GA's are still the most coveted after all these years......considering the aging demographic who is purchasing them. I will be honest.....GA is not for the faint of heart....and it is getting harder....and harder for me to literally stand all day.....and then stand before/during the concert. I don't know how the band does it....they have 10+ years on me.....I wish I had their energy/endurance.

I passed out(briefly) for the first time(ever) during GA at this summer's JT tour....from dehydration, sun exposure,  too much body heat & exhaustion. It not only takes work to obtain GA tickets....but also sustaining the long haul of the day standing/waiting in line. I do love the awesome exchanges with other u2 fans while we wait.....

One big family.....and for that....it is all worth it....anything of great value in life.....is always worth striving for......

unforgettable, I agree it's still worth it and I love being in this big, crazy, worldwide family for three decades now. And U2 show is like a reunion. But like a family we all get old.

With each tour, I always wonder if it will be my last. The first time I thought that was Elevation '01 and I kept thinking maybe I'm getting too old for rock concerts.  I was only in my 30s, but felt that first show was tough. We had GA tickets and it was all about "getting into the heart", which we did.  We stood in the rain (only a part of the line was sheltered) and I was cold and tired by the time we made it onto the floor. I caught my second wind and it was one of the best shows I had been to.

I'm in my late 40s now and while still in decent shape, I sigh at the thought of the long day that is GA. I had Club Level seats for JT '17 and Lower Reserve seats for i+e '15. Trying to get tickets for e+i 2018 was the hardest it has ever been and definitely not for the casual fan. Something definitely went wrong this time.

My heart goes out to you, I've never passed out at a show but have seen a few. A young woman passed out right next to me during 360 '09 (Dallas). She was very intoxicated and I grabbed her before she hit the ground. We signaled for help and some staff carried her to an aid tent. But, I've passed out from heat exhaustion a few times in my life--never a fun thing.

I too had some great conversations with fans while in line. I met this dude (Pete) from England at a show in Anaheim. He came all the way from England to see a show. He worked a grocery and didn't make a lot of money. But he saved and made it all the way out to California. My crew liked him so much we hung out after the 2nd show and bought him dinner. He was a cool dude.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, 504jumper said:

unforgettable, I agree it's still worth it and I love being in this big, crazy, worldwide family for three decades now. And U2 show is like a reunion. But like a family we all get old.

With each tour, I always wonder if it will be my last. The first time I thought that was Elevation '01 and I kept thinking maybe I'm getting too old for rock concerts.  I was only in my 30s, but felt that first show was tough. We had GA tickets and it was all about "getting into the heart", which we did.  We stood in the rain (only a part of the line was sheltered) and I was cold and tired by the time we made it onto the floor. I caught my second wind and it was one of the best shows I had been to.

I'm in my late 40s now and while still in decent shape, I sigh at the thought of the long day that is GA. I had Club Level seats for JT '17 and Lower Reserve seats for i+e '15. Trying to get tickets for e+i 2018 was the hardest it has ever been and definitely not for the casual fan. Something definitely went wrong this time.

My heart goes out to you, I've never passed out at a show but have seen a few. A young woman passed out right next to me during 360 '09 (Dallas). She was very intoxicated and I grabbed her before she hit the ground. We signaled for help and some staff carried her to an aid tent. But, I've passed out from heat exhaustion a few times in my life--never a fun thing.

I too had some great conversations with fans while in line. I met this dude (Pete) from England at a show in Anaheim. He came all the way from England to see a show. He worked a grocery and didn't make a lot of money. But he saved and made it all the way out to California. My crew liked him so much we hung out after the 2nd show and bought him dinner. He was a cool dude.

504....I hear you.....really I do.

I've had GA ever since Zoo tv......I think POP was the exception, I had club seats.....but, even at almost 39 years old & 8 mths. pregnant with my 3rd child, I had GA as well.(360 tour). fellow fans were so kind and protective of me....so much love. I would never consider this at any other concert.....U2 fans are very kind and special people. I am amazed by the plethora of people who come to see them....from all over the world.....truly dedicated.

At this last  JT tour, I brought my two girls,  and wanted  to bring my little guy, too....but, he was sick and stayed behind with a baby sitter.(i was worried about him all night/guilty leaving him).  we had to travel 12 hours, stay at a hotel ect. I think I passed out from mostly anxiety/dehydration because I was giving my girls all the limited rations of water, in fear, they would pass out. They were very hot/tired, too.....and I am a bit embarrassed that I passed out it front of my kids. They were so scared.....and I am lucky my husband caught me in time. I have never passed out before....so it was quite surreal! Edge witnessed what happened......and gave my little girl his pick.....(so sweet).

I couldn't get tickets for my kids this time because of all the presale issues(they're truly bummed).....but, I still feel very lucky that my husband and I are able to go. I was worried this would have been my first U2 show, that I wouldn't attend since unforgettable fire.

hopefully this time around, I won't pass out.....and my body won't betray me....:unsure: