Update: U2 Manager Guy Oseary Responds To Fans' Concerns Over E+I Tour Pre-sales

Max Tsukino

• Subscriber

Good letter from U2 tribe. Pity it went before the verified reseller went live as that would have been an interesting question to Live Nation when they claim they want to get tickets into hands of genuine fans.

if Guy cares as much as he claims (albeit a carefully worded letter that the lawyers will have scrutinised) then set up a secondary ticket site to sell on unwanted tickets at face value rather than take large commissions on inflated ticket prices via his own secondary market. And ensure T&Cs that all tickets resold other than face value will result in tickets being cancelled. Then you can threaten Stubhub with legal action unless they take down U2 sales. Others do it, Live Nation need to decide if they are on the side of the fans or their shareholders.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

For what it's worth, I've seen Verified Fan used in a way that helped reduce scalping. When I got VF tickets through Ticketmaster for Ed Sheeran, on the purchase page I had to click a box where I acknowledged I was buying these tickets for my personal use and not for resale, and that they reserved the right to cancel the tickets if they were resold above face value. They also delayed delivering tickets until 3 days before the event to ensure that they had time to verify that the orders were legit and to cancel scalper orders, and also to make it harder for scalpers to list them. 

I was surprised that U2 didn't take these same steps as part of their Verified Fan usage. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, mike7man said:

Unfortunately, the original fan letter didn't mention (or only briefly and to a minor degree) one key additional issue:  That the u2.com presale allotment (I'm not talking about the ticket limit)--that is, the actual number (and quality, if seats) of presale tickets was markedly smaller than in previous tours.  This went beyond the iNNOCENCE folks basically having no chance at GAs--many eXPERIENCE folks couldn't obtain GAs either.  And the presale seats in general were clearly inferior.

There's a reason for that, and that is we couldn't make that assertion without having the actual data in front of us; something that only Ticketmaster likely has and that they would not share under any circumstances except for legal reasons. Without being able to show that is actually true, we could not include it in the letter. We only presented what we could document.

• Subscriber

Thanks to all that contributed to the letter to Guy/U2. And thanks to Guy for at least responding.

I think we would all like more clarity on why so few GA's were available in any of the presales (except Citi presale). Also, as this is an arena tour, why is Citi presale getting 4 tix and not 2 like long time U2 subscribers? 

I've received 4 auto response emails...still waiting for someone to reach out to me. All in all, this whole process is very disappointing and taking a lot of excitement away from an upcoming album release. I don't expect anything meaningful to change for the 2nd show presales. Hope i am wrong

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, liverpool54321 said:

Good letter from U2 tribe. Pity it went before the verified reseller went live as that would have been an interesting question to Live Nation when they claim they want to get tickets into hands of genuine fans.

if Guy cares as much as he claims (albeit a carefully worded letter that the lawyers will have scrutinised) then set up a secondary ticket site to sell on unwanted tickets at face value rather than take large commissions on inflated ticket prices via his own secondary market. And ensure T&Cs that all tickets resold other than face value will result in tickets being cancelled. Then you can threaten Stubhub with legal action unless they take down U2 sales. Others do it, Live Nation need to decide if they are on the side of the fans or their shareholders.

They have decided.........clearly it is the Shareholders.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Damian Byrne said:

Thanks to all that contributed to the letter to Guy/U2. And thanks to Guy for at least responding.

I think we would all like more clarity on why so few GA's were available in any of the presales (except Citi presale). Also, as this is an arena tour, why is Citi presale getting 4 tix and not 2 like long time U2 subscribers? 

I've received 4 auto response emails...still waiting for someone to reach out to me. All in all, this whole process is very disappointing and taking a lot of excitement away from an upcoming album release. I don't expect anything meaningful to change for the 2nd show presales. Hope i am wrong

If you read some of the previous post then we can all be certain that the reason Citi and then the TM Verified Open Sale offered 4 tickets is so that TM can make double bubble on the tickets as it gives people the chance to buy more than needed and then sell the extras on for much more money. People in the fan club however would be more likely to use the tickets and actually attend shows meaning we offer much less to TM and it's re-sale scam. Simple really and summed up in the one word.......Greed.

• Subscriber

I wish it had been addressed why so many tickets which were $80-100 in 2015 have been reclassified as $175 and $330 tickets, and why the TN fees have skyrocketed (especially for fanclub members - in years past, the band made sure TM charges less on fees for us) but I recognize that the presale was the primary focus of the letter. 

Still, I feel that if the only information that got to Mr. Oseary was that fans are upset solely because of the presale codes, that the band is missing a big part of the picture. 

• Subscriber

Wow...how do you explain that there are already tickets, GA tickets nonetheless, for ALL of the added shows on StubHub? Currently there are 45 tickets for Chicago starting at $330.61, 39 tickets for Las Vegas starting at $312.55, 38 tickets for Washington D.C. starting at $355.30, 46 tickets for Philadelphia starting at $331.55, 67 tickets for New York starting at $346.73, 21 tickets for Montreal starting at $294.03, and finally 49 tickets for Boston starting at $341.05. So, 305 GA tickets supposedly "available" before the "presale". It would seem this verified fan nonsense only screws over actual verified fans, even if they aren't "verified" through Sucketmaster. U2.com....shut those Stubhub guys down.