U2 songs of experience your possible setlist

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The blackout  American soul Red flag day zoo station the fly sunday Bloody Sunday Desire (acoustic) angel of Harlem (acoustic) Stay Lights of home Sum

I really hope they play Every Breaking Wave with the full band.  As much as I liked the stripped down piano version, this is one of my favorites off SOI and I'd love to hear it loud...with DRUMS AND B

PLEASE, NO...not Stuck in a Moment!!

• Subscriber

- The Blackout
- You're the Best Thing About Me
- Elevation or Vertigo
- A Sort of Homecoming
- City of Blinding Lights OR Beautiful Day
- Kite
- Every Breaking Wave
- All I Want Is You (Walk to the Water snippet)
- Get Out of Your Own Way
*Intermission/Kendrick Lamar interlude to e-stage portion)
- American Soul
- Lady with the Spinning Head
- Zoo Station
- Mysterious Ways
- Dirty Day OR Numb
- Gone
- Last Night on Earth
- Moment of Surrender OR Unknown Caller
- Bad
- The Little Things That Give You Away
- Song for Someone/13 blend (cut on shorter nights)

Encore

- Where the Streets Have No Name
- Electric Co. OR Out of Control OR I Will Follow
- Gloria OR I Fall Down OR I Threw a Brick
- Surrender (alternates with 40)
- Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
- 40 (alternates with Surrender)

I know some (maybe most, lol) of these are pipe dreams, but here is some of my rationale:

- Every album is represented.
- Hits are kept, but some songs that have been in the setlists for ages (SBS, NYD, Pride, One, and just about the entirety of the Joshua Tree) get a much-needed break for a while.
- Plenty of juicy rarities for the fans, all of which is solid enough that even those not familiar with them should find them pretty exciting live (LWTSH, LNOE, the October selection)
- One of the aforementioned cut hits could be slotted in as a replacement if a rarity flops (NYD takes over for Surrender, alternate Gone and LNOE if two Pop selections prove to be too much and either reduce the setlist by a song or slot in another heavy hitter)
- There's thematic flow, either in the style of song (slow, heavy songs to end the main set, the band's first three albums delivering an energetic encore, energy ebbs and flows to keep the show interesting the whole way through)

My biggest concern is that too many crowd favorites are absent, but I'd like to think that the TJT30 tour covered so many of them that this could be the tour to get a little adventurous. However, as I mentioned, if stuff flops, there are plenty of substitution opportunities, like the following:

- One takes over for Kite
- Gone and LNOE rotate nights, WOWY slots in between The Little Things and Song for Someone or closes the set if the next idea is implemented
- EBW and Song for Someone rotate (retaining their respective current positions), the setlist can be reduced by a song or NYD can be added after YTBTAM

• Subscriber

Hollywoodswag- love the big overlap between our setlists!  We both think it would be great to bring back A Sort of Homecoming, Kite, Gloria, Electric Co, two songs from Pop (Gone and Last Night on Earth) and Unknown Caller. Not sure they'll do SOI songs on this tour though, especially if they cut out some of the 'hits'. I like personally including Desire and Angel of Harlem from Rattle and Hum, Breathe from NLOTH... and Until The End of the World and The Fly from Achtung, Zoo Station and Mysterious ways are OK... But isn't a 30th anniversary Achtung Stadium Tour just a few years off after this tour (2021)?  I also agree that the band can rest a few of the well worn hits following the stadium TJT30 Tour. This is an arena tour supporting a new album the very next year - do a setlist for the hard core fans...

Happy U2018 everyone!!

• Subscriber

Sykoo, if they cut the SOI songs, I won't be particularly upset. I included them as an expectation, but definitely not as a wish-list item. Even if they got replaced with one of the standards that I had suggested cutting or if it meant that some songs I suggested as part of rotations both got played, that would be fine with me.

As far as an AB tour, I think that's a wish so many of us have after the TJT experience, but it would be 100% nostalgia and probably destroy their argument that the TJT tour was inspired by events going on in the world. I do buy the argument that recent world events gave that album a renewed sense of purpose, but I still think it was a bit of a nostalgia deal. ;)

And to your point about the overlap between our lists, I'm just glad that someone else who wants Pop songs to make a return shares my desire for Gone and LNOE and not Please. :lol:

Edited by hollywoodswag
  • Subscriber
On 12/31/2017 at 6:59 PM, hollywoodswag said:

- The Blackout
- Elevation or Vertigo
- A Sort of Homecoming
- Kite
- Every Breaking Wave
- American Soul
- Zoo Station
- Mysterious Ways
- Dirty Day OR Numb
- Gone
- Last Night on Earth
- Bad

Encore

I know some (maybe most, lol) of these are pipe dreams, but here is some of my rationale:

- Hits are kept, but some songs that have been in the setlists for ages (SBS, NYD, Pride, One, and just about the entirety of the Joshua Tree) get a much-needed break for a while.
- Plenty of juicy rarities for the fans, all of which is solid enough that even those not familiar with them should find them pretty exciting live (LWTSH, LNOE, the October selection)
- One of the aforementioned cut hits could be slotted in as a replacement if a rarity flops (NYD takes over for Surrender, alternate Gone and LNOE if two Pop selections prove to be too much and either reduce the setlist by a song or slot in another heavy hitter)
- There's thematic flow, either in the style of song (slow, heavy songs to end the main set, the band's first three albums delivering an energetic encore, energy ebbs and flows to keep the show interesting the whole way through)

My biggest concern is that too many crowd favorites are absent, but I'd like to think that the TJT30 tour covered so many of them that this could be the tour to get a little adventurous. However, as I mentioned, if stuff flops, there are plenty of substitution opportunities, like the following:

- Gone and LNOE rotate nights, WOWY slots in between The Little Things and Song for Someone or closes the set if the next idea is implemented
- EBW and Song for Someone rotate (retaining their respective current positions), the setlist can be reduced by a song or NYD can be added after YTBTAM

Good set!

• Subscriber
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:59 AM, hollywoodswag said:

- The Blackout
- Elevation or Vertigo
- A Sort of Homecoming
- Kite
- Every Breaking Wave
- American Soul
- Zoo Station
- Mysterious Ways
- Dirty Day OR Numb
- Gone
- Last Night on Earth
- Bad

Encore

Lady with the Spinning Head! Nice.... :wub:

I'd love to hear Kite and City of Blinding Lights. I agree I could live without Sunday, NYD, Pride, and One.

I'd not only keep Every Breaking Wave, I'd add Cedarwood Road too.

If they play something from October, especially I Threw a Brick Through a Window, my life will be complete.

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

It would make sense if they rested much of their earlier stuff but I reckon they’ll simply do a range of stuff with a chunk of Regular stuff and a couple rare ones.

what’s the point of changing a winning formula anyway!!

• Subscriber

They really need to ditch Beautiful Day and Elevation from the setlists.Beautiful Day is a good song but it's not worthy of a regular spot on the setlist.Elevation was great opening up the Elevation tour back in 2001 but it hasn't aged well at all for me.It infuriates me that despite U2's extensive back catalogue with fantastic songs these 2 always seem to be a stick on these days to be played.

U2 are a fantastic live band but the biggest criticism I have of them is they aren't willing to take risks by changing the setlists up night after night,it all seems so choreographed to me and playing it safe far too much.They should take a leaf out of Springsteen and Pearl Jam's book and just turn setlists on their head.

• Like 1