• Subscriber

Loved Songs of Experience.  Such an amazing album!  Easily their best album since All That You Can't Leave Behind (or Atomic Bomb depending on your preference).  The end of Experience has a real finality to it.  Which leads me to this question:  Will we get Songs of Ascent?  Has everyone noticed how quiet Bono is about it?  He's not talking about anything but Experience, now I understand that's the new album and that's what he is hyping at the moment.  Could the rest of the band be telling him to ease up on the trilogy's end?  Could Experience be that end?  Is Bono's health a reason they may not deliver Ascent as soon as we'd hope?  There's a lot to consider.  So my question to the awesome U2niverse: Will we get Songs of Ascent?  And why do you think the way that you think?  Thanks guys!  I hope you're all well!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From the way the current shows are ending-the imagery of 13-doesn't it seem like SOE is wrapping up from SOI?  Is is just me?  If there was a Songs of Ascent-it seems it would need to go a new directi

I think for various practical reasons it won't become a trilogy. I think a third in terms of theme and touring might be a stretch to far. That said several artists have started releasing albums o

Not me...as I think when we hear Songs of Ascent that will surely indicate that the end is coming.

I think a Return to Innocence what is next. Today  (December 6, 2017) on a You Tube that Bono and the Edge were singing in a Berlin subway, Bono said  phrase in closing that was what his prayer was in part for "a return to Innocence". It felt like a weighty hint mentioned at the end...we will see, won't we? Thanks for this post, jreed!!

:JT_Logo_03:

• Subscriber

I have wondered the same thing. Many of the songs on SOE are what I imagined to be be what Songs of Ascent would sound like.  I would love to hear Songs of Ascent next. But for now I am so happy with SOE.

• Subscriber

I think for various practical reasons it won't become a trilogy. I think a third in terms of theme and touring might be a stretch to far.

That said several artists have started releasing albums of rarities and off cuts directly via their website. Their not chartable but obviously profitable. For a good example of this model see Robbie Williams who has now released two full albums of new material this way. Neither were toured or promoted beyond his website but it's a good idea. In fact I think he said in an interview recently both albums made more money than his commercial releases due to no need for a label etc.

U2 could/should do something similar and release Songs of Ascent as an album of out takes and so forth from recent times...North Star, Mercy etc. Plus all the likely off cuts from SoI & SoE.

OR more likely - I could see them packaging SoI & SoE in a deluxe set with a third disc of off cuts etc. and naming it SoA. 

• Like 2
  • Subscriber

I think the Album will come out, they usually do Albums in 3's.  I feel that there are songs that didn't make this album due to the health scare, and they rewrote those songs.  Since the U.S tour is over after June, they have 2 months before a September EU tour, followed by Asia/Australia, there is time to add some more songs to another album.  They can sneak the album out in the fall, kind of like a Zooropa thing, and see if it takes off.  As they will most likely tour the U.S next spring, and follow up with EU after, they can add the new songs to the Album.  My feeling is that this album will be the biggest commercial success since ATYCLB, not just on how well I like it, but they are in full promo mode, I haven't since the likes of them doing this in a long time.  If my feeling is right, and it's a full blown success, when they come back, they can either mix in the new songs, or do what they intended to do with this tour, one night of SOE and one night of SOA.  In order to do this, make it work, and get enough seats for all fans, they would have to play 4 shows in each arena, with more for bigger markets.  You put the seats for sale, before the album comes out, with so many people clamoring to see the tour, they aren't doing to many shows, so the market can be heated up, your casual fan may want to see 2 shows, as each one will be different.  It makes sense, since they wanted to do this originally, they held back on the number of shows, they are promoting the heck out of an album, that feels like it's going to take off like a classic album, and put out the other album.  The kicker is, that after that tour, they take a year off, do an Achtung Tour (we know they are talking about it) and take 2 years off before putting out something new.  Their contract with Live Nation is till 2020.  If you have the success of this tour, 2018-2019, you dangle and Achtung Tour for 2020 to resign a new fatter contract.  Don't forget, they signed a 12 year contract, with part of the money up front from Live Nation, $120m.  Another 10 year contract, for the most successful band, would top that.  And if you all think they are going to retire, what band making this kind of money has ever retired.  Even the ones who hated each other, GNR, have gotten back together.  I don't know the deal for the record contract, but the 1st one on that deal was NLOTH, add these 2 albums, and I'm sure the re-release of JT could have been throw in there, they are probably due for a new contract after SOA.  This would be their last big payday, and based on the promo's they are in full swing for contract negotiations.  Fear not, I have a feeling we'll be seeing the lads for a long time, and a lot more in the next few years.  Besides, what else do they have to do, their kids are all grown up.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • mich40 featured this topic
  • mich40 unfeatured this topic