Sign in to follow this  
jreed

Will there be a Songs of Ascent?

On 7/31/2018 at 2:48 AM, dermo said:

The problem with these forums is sometimes comments can be interpreted differently than intended

It is my experience that such is the problem with all of social media.  I notice it all the time.  I've done it in these forums.  It's nice to disagree and get angry and rant while being able to apologize.  I do not notice that much of the time on other social media.  Perhaps we are already ascending.  ?

Edited by Manohlive

Bono Speaking on Hoziers Cry Power podcast: 'We have this beautiful ecstatic album called Songs of Ascent.  I don't know if we'll finish it soon or it'll take forever.  It's about forever. That's its subject.  And ....  Songs of Ascent or the fifteen psalms and they're named after the fifteen steps from the womens chamber actually up to the temple in Jerusalem so it's an old idea ............ '

So it looks like Songs of Ascent might yet happen, though as was suggested by dmway previously it if it does see the light of day it will be as a stand alone project as opposed to being part of a trilogy.

Edited by dermo
  • Like 1

My fingers are still crossed this gets released this year or next. My hope it's the more experimental album NLOTH was going to be; a quiet, meditative, beautiful album really excites me more than them doing another "fuck off" rock and roll album. I think it would be very fitting to make the Songs concept a trilogy. If anyone close to the band reads this, know there are plenty of fans out there who still want to hear it!

To be honest, given that this year has been so...unexpected, it wouldn't completely blow my mind if we ended up hearing this or even just one or two songs that were intended for it. Maybe there are some Ascent demos lying around? Could do with some more lockdown listening... 

That said, I think given that Songs of Innocence/Experience were marketed as a two-part era, I think this'll be a separate musical entity.